Pat Williams

CAVEDAWG

NewHampshire, If you look back collectively on the Donahoe era (five years) and the Levy era (two years) there were a lot of personnel blunders made in both the draft and free agency. This franchise has been set back quite a bit by incompetent front office staffing. In my view, there are no quick fixes. Only by drafting smartly and bringing in productive free agents can this team move forward. The T.O. acquisition was foolish from a football and cost standpoint.

Building from the lines (OL & DL) is a good strategy to take. Getting a franchise qb is another thing that must be accomplished before this team becomes competitive. Very easy to say but difficult to do.

Yes I agree but we need a good system to go with the team!! I think Edwards would be better in a West Coast offense. I also BILLieve in a firey coach to get after the players on off days. Yes they are suppose to be professionals but they are only human. There are plenty of days I don't want to go to work!!

:unsure: Anyone remember an undrafted player by the name of Pat Williams? He use to play for us along side Ted Washington!!! Now that was a Great Interior Defesive line back then! Then what does Bills management ( I BILLieve it was Tom Donahue...forgive the spelling of his name ) back then do? Let him go just when he was coming into his prime! He is now 37 years old and still playing for the Vikings. His name was called alot today making positive plays. The Vikings lost today but I blame a BAD called penelty. The Refs BLEW a Touchdown pass that Farve threw. Oh well don't really care but Pat was still playing great "D" today for the Vikings. Wish we still had him!!!

I was totally thinking the same thing. He's still a beast. Better than anyone on our team. Very sad. He was even making tackles across the field. Did ya see the play where he stuck the RB and just squished him?!?

Greg Williams and Tom Donahoe got rid of him and only had to pay him a small amount more for him to stay.....one of the dumbest moves in the franchise. GW got here and thought he could bring in anyone and the guys that were still here (Moulds and Ruben) thought it was annoying as he made it sound like nobody had ever played good D before.....newsflash, the year before the Bills were number one in the NFL in defense. Wade knew what he was doing with a defense!

Loved PW and still do....he really wanted to stay in B'lo

I was totally thinking the same thing. He's still a beast. Better than anyone on our team. Very sad. He was even making tackles across the field. Did ya see the play where he stuck the RB and just squished him?!?

I'm watching the 'Skins game tonight and mourning the loss of London Fletcher.

Why did they ever let him go again?

Was it all Fewell's fault, 'cause the guy can play...

I miss Williams, Fletcher, and Winfield

Yes I agree but we need a good system to go with the team!! I think Edwards would be better in a West Coast offense. I also BILLieve in a firey coach to get after the players on off days. Yes they are suppose to be professionals but they are only human. There are plenty of days I don't want to go to work!!

Hmmm...sounds like a call for GRUDEN!!

(or perhaps a minor step down with Marty-ball).

Greg Williams and Tom Donahoe got rid of him and only had to pay him a small amount more for him to stay.....one of the dumbest moves in the franchise. GW got here and thought he could bring in anyone and the guys that were still here (Moulds and Ruben) thought it was annoying as he made it sound like nobody had ever played good D before.....newsflash, the year before the Bills were number one in the NFL in defense. Wade knew what he was doing with a defense!

Loved PW and still do....he really wanted to stay in B'lo

Was it really greg Williams that let him go?

I thought it was strictly a Donahoe thing...

I'm watching the 'Skins game tonight and mourning the loss of London Fletcher.

Why did they ever let him go again?

Was it all Fewell's fault, 'cause the guy can play...

I miss Williams, Fletcher, and Winfield

Fletcher wasn't cut he left as a free agent. Odds are he wasn't going to stay even if we offered him a decent deal. I do agree that he is still very productive and a borderline top ten MLB. BUT he isn't as good as he once was.

Trade foir Bledsoe was just as dumb

Think about the blunders made by the Bills.

If, IF Mike Williams had panned out, and they hung onto Jason Peters, this team would be in a totally different situation.

Also, an article a few weeks ago when the Bills played the Saints talked about how Gregg Williams- when head coach of the Bills- was close to drafting Drew Brees in the 2nd round but San Diego stepped in and stole him.

I know this is dreaming on my part, but think about how this would have worked. It was the year before the Bledsoe trade. Instead of sending our 1st pick to the hated Patsies, we could have used it on an impact D-lineman, making the McCargo debacle not necessary, and freeing up another 1st rounder. We would never have drafted Losman, which would have freed up ANOTHER 1st rounder.

Those are 3 1st round picks that would now be available and could have been used on positions of greater need (like the offensive and defensive lines).

It would probably have carried over to this year, making the extra selection of Levitre not necessary. I shudder to think of an offensive line of Peters, Wood, Hangartner, Butler, and a powerful Mike Williams at RT. Drew Brees at QB. Lynch, Evans, Jackson.

I think the Bills are constantly trying to play catch-up with themselves, and thus never truly develop team talent. Poor draft decisions as evidenced above are a huge factor. But losing key free agents also is death. Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield, and London Fletcher should have all been retained. Those 3 still motor and devastate offenses. Instead of paying Kelsay like a Pro-Bowler, and Parrish starting money, I would have retained those guys and built around them on D.

Greg Williams "I don't like fat players" but yes it was more Donahoe.

Yeah, Gregg really screwed that one up, considering he had left the year before. Pat left after Mularky's first season.

It was about money, and the desire to keep a then 27 year old (and at that time relatively healthy) Jonas Jennings at LT, rather then spend the money on a then 32 year old Pat, when Fat Sam was still on the team and they had drafted a bunch of young tackles.

Thing is, as I recall, many, if not most, on this board were comfortable with the decision at the time...

Then, of course, Tom D, screwed it all up letting himself get played by Jonas and losing Pat in the meantime.

if i remember correctly, the difference between the entire contract we offered him and Minn"s offer was LESS THAN a million dollars. imo, it was the biggest mistake the FO has made in the past decade.

Agreed. On and off the field he was such an asset. It was the biggest mistake I can remember. Vikes have our two best players from the years we had a top 5 defense. Winfield and the big Pat.