A Few Thoughts About The Game

I am thinking yes, with DT, LB and RT (I don't trust the health of Butler) to follow. After this, we have to look at QBs.

The Titans drafted Hopkins before they took McNair. The Colts grabbed Glenn and Meadows before taking Manning. This is the method I support to build a winning team, especially in the elements of WNY.

I would argue that the weakest positions on our team are (in this order)

1. OT

2. QB

3. LB

I also think our D-line remains immensely overrated.

In a perfect world, I could see the Bills fixing OT and QB via draft, DT via trade (Shaun Rogers?), LB via FA.

However, I don't see the FO drafting an OT first round. Unless they admit a mistake w/ Bell, how would it be feasible for us to draft an O-lineman? The Bills are notorious for using the draft to accomplish what most teams accomplish with free agency. That is, to replace 3-4 veteran players who either have left the team for greener pastures or who are under performing. As a result, that is why we cannot pile up talented line depth (either Defensive or Offensive). We just have too many holes to fill. Plus, Good tackles and QBs are gone after the 2nd round. The Bills would likely not be a viable partner in a trader for Rogers, and I'm not entirely sure they are willing to sign a starting linebacker.

I could see a first round QB definitely. I just think they are going to go linebacker for some reason that might be illogical. But, our linebackers are getting destroyed by opposing o lines.

I am thinking yes, with DT, LB and RT (I don't trust the health of Butler) to follow. After this, we have to look at QBs.

The Titans drafted Hopkins before they took McNair. The Colts grabbed Glenn and Meadows before taking Manning. This is the method I support to build a winning team, especially in the elements of WNY.

When the draft rolls around, I'd look for a guy who was the best player available (or pretty close). But if several players are of roughly equal caliber, I'd be inclined to take the one who fills whichever need is the more difficult to fill. Good quarterbacks are the hardest to find/go the earliest in the draft. Good LTs and RDEs are also very rare; and go almost as early as good QBs. WRs are up there on that list too; although not quite as high.

Obviously, the Bills need to do something about their offensive line. That's beyond all question at this point. But if there's a QB on the board who can be a Peyton Manning or a Matt Ryan for this team for the next 10+ years, there's no way you can walk away from the opportunity. You have to take that QB, because it could be many years before your team has the chance to draft his like again.

Now obviously, a quarterback isn't going to succeed unless he has an offensive line. I understand that; and obviously this line needs to be built up quickly. I could see this team taking a QB in the first round, then trading its second and third round picks away to get back into the first round. With that second pick in the first round, it could grab a LT. With Butler coming back at RT, this plan would make the Bills solid at tackle and at QB.

While that draft wouldn't fill all our needs, it would at least plug two of the most difficult-to-fill, crucial holes on this team. That would set the team up nicely to fill many of its remaining holes in the 2011 draft.

When the draft rolls around, I'd look for a guy who was the best player available (or pretty close). But if several players are of roughly equal caliber, I'd be inclined to take the one who fills whichever need is the more difficult to fill. Good quarterbacks are the hardest to find/go the earliest in the draft. Good LTs and RDEs are also very rare; and go almost as early as good QBs. WRs are up there on that list too; although not quite as high.

Obviously, the Bills need to do something about their offensive line. That's beyond all question at this point. But if there's a QB on the board who can be a Peyton Manning or a Matt Ryan for this team for the next 10+ years, there's no way you can walk away from the opportunity. You have to take that QB, because it could be many years before your team has the chance to draft his like again.

Now obviously, a quarterback isn't going to succeed unless he has an offensive line. I understand that; and obviously this line needs to be built up quickly. I could see this team taking a QB in the first round, then trading its second and third round picks away to get back into the first round. With that second pick in the first round, it could grab a LT. With Butler coming back at RT, this plan would make the Bills solid at tackle and at QB.

While that draft wouldn't fill all our needs, it would at least plug two of the most difficult-to-fill, crucial holes on this team. That would set the team up nicely to fill many of its remaining holes in the 2011 draft.

I understand and appreciate your method, but it is one that I don't generally agree with.

If the Bills draft a QB before a quality LT, said qb will have to play 1 season behind the likes of Demetrius Bell; another one behind a rookie. It could work I suppose but I hate the odds. I think you also trust Butler more than I do in terms of health as well, although I have no quarrel with him as a player. This above only speaks to the offense. We need a big DT and 2 LBs.

Giving up draft picks is not where we want to go E.A. Not at all. Unfortunately, I still view us as a top 10 team wrt the draft. Unless we are in a position where a standout LT is there for us, I would hope for a trade down. This team could use extra picks in both 10 and 11.

I understand and appreciate your method, but it is one that I don't generally agree with.

If the Bills draft a QB before a quality LT, said qb will have to play 1 season behind the likes of Demetrius Bell; another one behind a rookie. It could work I suppose but I hate the odds. I think you also trust Butler more than I do in terms of health as well, although I have no quarrel with him as a player. This above only speaks to the offense. We need a big DT and 2 LBs.

Giving up draft picks is not where we want to go E.A. Not at all. Unfortunately, I still view us as a top 10 team wrt the draft. Unless we are in a position where a standout LT is there for us, I would hope for a trade down. This team could use extra picks in both 10 and 11.

How much does it hurt to see Oher? I read the book about him and wondered if he would bust but am glad he's succeeding. God I wish he was in a Bills uniform.

1) Say what you want about Kelsay. Seriously, don't mind me, but that was one clutch sack in the 4th quarter.

5) TO drives me crazy, in that he consistently gets open. Not only that, at his advanced NFL age he is probably in better condition than almost any player on the field. Folks....he can't catch the football on a consistent basis.

6) I don't know about you, but I for one did not appreciate the way Lynch showboated on the first quarter TD run. Btw, watch Levitre on the replay. His footwork was perfect and he sealed off the entire side.

7) LOL!!! Wtf was Fox thinking in the 2nd quarter on 4th and 1 when he tried the field goal? Who has been peeking into Jaurons playbook?

8) OK....Byrd is good. It is no accident that he makes big plays and Whitner doesn't. The kid is growing on me, and I rarely if at all make this statement about a defensive back. But, you already knew that.

12) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. our dends have been playing decent. clutch sack indeed.

5. i still love the guy. u r right though. hes dropping needed receptions. he messes up. then he catches a wild throw...oh well. at least we have evans.

6. i loved the fact that lynch showboated in the first td. it was a thing of beauty to me. he was going to walk in LIKE A PIMP!!! then he saw the db and put on the afterburners in 1.2 seconds to score. we need some more ball hogs (byrd), jokers (lynch), showboats (lynch). this is no beauty contest people. this is not for the faint hearted.

7. fox is a stupid coach. his run game was great. why he decided for a fgoal??? dumb. i hate to give credit to chumps. but bellycheat would have gone for it (and got it)

8. byrd is a ball hawk. its in his name. of course he will be the bomb!

12. +++1!

13. finally some good reasons to be excited for.

14. our defense while they gave up yards were super agressive (on tv/did not attend game). i hope someone can back me up on this. while it was the sam defense, they acted different. like they wanted to win. what a concept.

To me the question would be, which position would be a reach? If the Bills end up in a position where the "legitimate" first round QBs are off the board early but there are still good OTs available, they should definitely get an OT. But if it's the other way around and there's still a top QB on the board but there was a run on tackles, they should not take the tackle just because they decide they need one. I don't think there's one correct philosophy, it will completely depend on how the draft shapes up by the Bills' pick.

I also think that if you get the right QB, he will show it and you can build a team around him. So if that guy is available, you take him. That's not to denigrate the tackle position, but the Bills have struggled with QB play that has ranged from terrible to decent but limited. Even good tackle play hasn't made the difference that a great QB would.

To take my earlier plan one step further--suppose the Bills were to use pick 1a on a QB, and 1b on a LT. The quarterback spends his rookie year on the bench--exactly where all rookie quarterbacks belong. Going into his second year (his first as a starter), he'll be lining up behind an LT who was chosen in the first round, and who's also a second-year player. Seems pretty good to me.

I agree that Butler is an injury risk; which makes finding a backup tackle maybe a higher priority than it otherwise would have been. I could see using a fourth round pick on that position.

I understand what you're saying about the idea of trading up in the draft. This team has a lot of holes, so you hate to end up with fewer draft choices than you'd started with. But in addition to having a lot of holes, this team also has the problem of a lack of elite-level difference makers at key positions. Other than Jairus Byrd, what game-changers do we have on defense? (Aging veterans excluded.) How many game-changers do we have on offense? And how many of those guys play key positions like QB or LT?

I know it's always good to fill a lot of holes--especially when your team is riddled with them. But I think it's even more important for this team to get game changers at two very important, very hard-to-fill positions: QB and LT. If we want to get the right answers in at both those positions in this upcoming draft, we're probably going to have to trade up.

I agree with you about the defense needing a DT and two LBs. If the Bills did what I'm suggesting above, those needs wouldn't be addressed until 2011. But I feel that delay is a price this team must be willing to pay if it's going to solve its problems at QB and LT once and for all!