Two MLB's out for the season....

VJ91

I'm not even going to waste my time looking up and showing this board the free agent linebackers with NFL experience that are available to sign today, that would love the opportunity to continue their careers. And if anyone brings up how the Bills will or should bring in Derrick Brooks, he or she should get flamed all the way to Toronto.

By Thursday, John Guy will most likely have another rookie or second year kid signed from another team's practice squad for "back up" insurance at linebacker. Hey, maybe even two practice squad linebackers from other teams will be brought in, the Bills can't seem to get enough of those kids these days.

I'm not a "conspiracy guy", but after they sign their practice squad linebackers this week, (and they will) and ignore any linebacker who has played NFL games, I'm going to be absolutely convinced that Ralph Wilson has given marching orders to his inner circle jerks to save every penny they can in every way they can, losing in the process be damned.

Please call me out if somehow logic rears it's attractive head and the Bills sign a veteran linebacker this week. I'll be happier then the first poster who flames this Tuesday morning opinion of mine. But I think we all know its just not going to happen. Instead, the agents for every linebacker on the other 31 practice sqauds are speed dialing One Bills Drive as I type, and I'm sure John Guy is drooling over the "potential" (and cheap cost) of them

alll! :censored::(:ph34r:

Come on there are so many practice squads to be raided. The Bills new motto:

Building for the future, with other teams scraps.

:( I could not have phrased it better! You know what's even funnier? Every time Guy signs one of these practice scraps, some draft geek comes on this board and posts about how great that scrap was in college, and how much of a "steal" Guy made by signing him off the other teams' scrap heap! Like that OL from Green Bay that more then one poster out here talked up. Where the hell is that kid, while the Bills' OL is most likely the worst in the NFL since the early 1900's. How has this "steal" not worked his way into this lineup yet?

And just how stupid is Nic Harris? He had what looked like a terrific preseason making tackles all over the place, and now he can't even beat out career special teamer Jon Corto on the depth chart? In fact, Perry Fool gave up on switching him to linebacker completely, and put him back at safety, the only defensive position where the Bills already have plenty of depth??

Finally, since Roscoe Parrish is losing football games while demanding to be traded, here's an idea for our genius of an NFL Vice Pres of scouting, John Guy: find a team that needs a punt returner and may be intrigued with using Parrish on offense behind their varsity O-Line and with their real NFL QB, that is not afraid to stand in and throw the ball to the speedster. Make them trade one of their back up linebackers with some NFL game experience under his belt, instead of the 7th round draft pick the Bills always settle for in their trades. :censored:

Overall, I agree with you, but ...

And just how stupid is Nic Harris? He had what looked like a terrific preseason making tackles all over the place, and now he can't even beat out career special teamer Jon Corto on the depth chart? In fact, Perry Fool gave up on switching him to linebacker completely, and put him back at safety, the only defensive position where the Bills already have plenty of depth??

That safety depth has taken a little bit of a hit with both starters on the injured list, no? Right now, they have Wilson, Byrd, and Wendling. One of the first two rolls an ankle, Wendling is playing serious snaps in the base D ... and do we really want that?

(And if you want to use that as the basis for an addendum on how many special-teams types are clogging the bottom of the roster, causing even more depth problems, I'm sure not going to stop you ...)

Also FWIW, Jauron said Harris would be moving back to LB this week.

I'm not a "conspiracy guy", but after they sign their practice squad linebackers this week, (and they will) and ignore any linebacker who has played NFL games, I'm going to be absolutely convinced that Ralph Wilson has given marching orders to his inner circle jerks to save every penny they can in every way they can, losing in the process be damned.

Something's going on at OBD that probably wouldn't sit well with fans. The fact is, there's very little available in street free agency or practice squads going to help this team now. They made their bed with razor thin depth and players who just aren't good.

The Bills are not in the business of making long term moves anymore. Or, if they sign a UFA to a 3-4 year contract, it's for little to moderate money. I feel much of this has been decided in light of the owner's advanced age.

I'm a bit surprised that a late cut (9/5) by CIN, LB Darryl Blackstock, isn't on somebody's roster this season. He was a decent player on the field and on STs.

He was active for 12 games last season, with 4 starts. He had a 4 game suspension for an OTC substance, and manned up and apologized to the team and the fans for that.

He would be a 5th year vet - I suppose the minimum vet $$$ he would have to be paid works against him. That's a factor teams consider when they look for injury replacements, right or wrong. Culling through PS rosters is certainly cheaper.

http://www.nfl.com/players/darrylblackstoc...ts?id=BLA327026

Note that with CIN and with AZ, he was active for most games.

I'm not even going to waste

Two salaries went down for the season so there would seem to be the need to sign both a PS player from elsewhere and a street FA headed for retirement. Even if you are a cheapskate these would seem to be ample leverage to get both players at a level near the player minimum as the PS player will get the benefit of moving to a regular roster and the near retirement vet gets back into the league.

One can also incentive up the contract giving the player a potential big paydate and not laying out the cash upfront if one is a cheapskate (oops I mean careful businessman). I wish Mr. Ralph was more of a sportsman than a businessman in managing this team (sign).

Quite honestly, who cares who they bring in. It's completely irrelevant. The problem on this team is 80% offense. The offense cannot score... period. You can't do much more on defense than hold a team to 2 FGs and keep the QB to 2 completions. Yet, somehow, we still lose?

Yeah, the defense may suck with practice squad srubs coming in. But, unless the offense (Trent) figures out how to score more than 3 points a game, none of it matters.

Let me put it this way... suppose we traded an injured Buggs for Ray Lewis (yeah I know stupid, but I'm using hyperbole to make my point). So, now we have Ray Lewis. Does that mean we can outscore the Jets? Unless they get a LB that comes in and breaks Trent's leg in practice, I really don't see how it helps.

if everybody is so ready to blow this team up and start over next year, why spend money on any line backer. I am giving Ralph the benifit of the doubt that he is waiting for the offseason(this is more for my own sanity and morale). We dont spend tons of money in fa this past offseason, bc the defense is servicable and not the problem. ralph assumed the o-line would suffice, and gave trent and dick t.o. and told them to go try and keep there jobs. Ralph knows that resigning Jauron 5 games in last year was stupid, he is just going to let it blow up in his face, and tell dick that he gave him every opportunity. we will clear house next year, that includes trent i think.

also, is it possible that the front office is waiting for some one from the UFL november 1st (i think thats the date). They are cheap and teh fo might be able to sell a ufl star to buffalo without having to spend big bucks.

The best part is we wouldn't have taken Patrick Willis two years ago if he was available. Two weeks ago - 2 1/2 sacks, interception returned for a touchdown.

He could have been the offensive threat we were looking for!!!! Hey, he has more TD's than Marshawn...

if everybody is so ready to blow this team up and start over next year, why spend money on any line backer. I am giving Ralph the benifit of the doubt that he is waiting for the offseason(this is more for my own sanity and morale). We dont spend tons of money in fa this past offseason, bc the defense is servicable and not the problem. ralph assumed the o-line would suffice, and gave trent and dick t.o. and told them to go try and keep there jobs. Ralph knows that resigning Jauron 5 games in last year was stupid, he is just going to let it blow up in his face, and tell dick that he gave him every opportunity. we will clear house next year, that includes trent i think.

also, is it possible that the front office is waiting for some one from the UFL november 1st (i think thats the date). They are cheap and teh fo might be able to sell a ufl star to buffalo without having to spend big bucks.

This D is not "serviceable". What team have they forced out of their incoming offensive game plan as game time wore on?

They have expressed their force of will on nobody, except poor TB and that blitz fest, and Mitchell going after Leftwich with an intentional forearm to the throat (Leftwich was livid that a PF flag wasn't thrown - so was I)...and every team gets films and got to see that. Mitchell was paid back in kind IMO. I posted after that cheap shot, and opined that was that he was a marked man.

With all this "fire this guy and that guy" going on, if I were to can a coach, I'd can Fewell. Just play a conventional 4 -3, with safeties up and cbs back. Put in the nickel and dime as the situation presents. Perhaps execute a DB blitz from time to time.

They don't have the personnel to fart around with the fancy defensive things.

And I still scratch my head why Oman and Hamden are taking up two of the 53 roster spots. Nothing against them, but both are superfluous.

It's not irrelevant. You will almost never get a shot at the big prize without at least having a decent LB corps.

I appreciate your optimism. But, you're talking about a shot at the big prize and that should be the goal. However, for now, I'm just hoping they can win another game.

I guess my expectations have been lowered. :wallbash:

The best part is we wouldn't have taken Patrick Willis two years ago if he was available. Two weeks ago - 2 1/2 sacks, interception returned for a touchdown.

He could have been the offensive threat we were looking for!!!! Hey, he has more TD's than Marshawn...

Patrick Willis was not available when we drafted. Period. Guessing what we would have/could have done based on public comments about our draft is moronic. Nobody will EVER tell the truth immediately after their draft. Teams will support the guy they drafted and whoever they drafted was the guy they wanted all along. Which is what they SHOULD do.

There are lots of faults with our coaching and drafting staff, but blaming them for something that they "wouldn't do" in a hypothetical situation is moronic.

I appreciate your optimism. But, you're talking about a shot at the big prize and that should be the goal. However, for now, I'm just hoping they can win another game.

I guess my expectations have been lowered. :wallbash:

I feel your pain. Year after year after, we read the press about this or that others' teams LB making this or that big play and a difference.

A good set of LBs - 3-4 or 4-3, really can get a team back into the mix. I'm not going to bother to research, but my seat-of-the-pants opinion is that BUF is one of the leagues' poor sisters in going after LB talent, at least ones with a bit of promise and of some size.

They just don't seem to grasp the idea that while it is nice if the DL gets rb stops and a sack now and then, that the DL is there to push the pocket, harry the qb into an errant pass, reduce a rb's choices, and mess up timing and so giving the backfield an edge in coverage. And set up the lbs for a sure stop on a rb or short/mid zone passes to receivers, with a minimum of gain.

I was really surprised that they didn't pull the trigger on Maualuga in the 1st round. He beat out Rashad Jeanty for a starting spot after a battle throughout the preseason at CIN - and Jeanty is a good LB (fourth on tackles last season for them; 2nd on ST tackles.)

The Bills' D was crying out for a LB with impact - rookie or not.

I shake my head at the Maybin pick. He may end up as dynamite, but IMO they shouldn't have picked for potential over current need. 2 cents...