Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, EI2, moon-shining and drunkenness were major sources of comedy for Sheriff Taylor and Deputy Fife - don't tell me you don't remember Otis The Drunk...

Link - 'On a Bender in Mayberry' :wallbash:

Oh, I know... Just that everything was very tame... Bad guys gave up rather quickly without any edgy chase and Otis had the key to his nightly digs!

:doh:

• 3 months later...
I understand what you are saying... Just hard for us to believe because at one time they were a dime a dozen... Not so much now... Like everything from the past: hard to come by antique.

No?

Well that one struck on me[the Nova] because in the early 70s my buddy was going to buy the exact same car for $500 or so but nixed the deal because it needed $50 in front end parts :rolleyes:

Course he also sold his as new 1970 Z-28 Camaro for $2000. :wallbash:

I miss Speed Channel. :(

It's like baseball cards. Just amazing what people are willing to spend.

I love old American Muscle cars but I doubt I'll ever own one. I could get into a late model Corvette Z06 for way less and get so much more car it's not even funny. The market is incredibly artificial.

The woman I did my student teaching with had been given her uncles baseball card collection. Among the cards were the only three Babe Ruth ever made. (I mean that there was only one series of Babe Ruth cards, not that she had the only three in existence,) Anyway she went to a card show and was looking around. When she got to one booth the guy had one of the Babe Ruth cards and she said it was in worse condition than any of hers. She asked him what it was worth and he estimated $100,000. He told her there are two others, but nobody owns all three.

NORTH Carolina.

Ya... I thought of that... I guess that was kept sorta hush-hush on Prime Time.

Anyway... I like the episode when Barney buys a car... From the actor that played Sam the butcher on The Brady Bunch and the grandmother on The Waltons... :wallbash::lol:

:lol:

Aunt Bea's pickles is a good one too. :lol:

Actually, EI2, moon-shining and drunkenness were major sources of comedy for Sheriff Taylor and Deputy Fife - don't tell me you don't remember Otis The Drunk...

Link - 'On a Bender in Mayberry' :rolleyes:

It's amazing how different TV is today. IIRC, one of the first things Darren or Major Nelson did upon coming home was fix themselves a drink.

Are you kidding? It was south Carolina. Ever hear of moonshiners?

A lot of people don't know that Otis went on to win three NASCAR championships with Barney as his crew chief.

I believe that it was Wendell Scott who was being chased by a cop one time and he was sure the cop knew it was him in the car. He owned a repair garage and he pulled his car into his garage and he very, very, quickly removed the engine and threw on coveralls. When the cop finally got to his shop, cherry top blaring, he came into arrest Scott only to find him working on the car he had been chasing him in with the engine pulled. The cop left him alone. :lol:

It's really sad that he had to deal with all of the legal racism in the south back then. If he had been given the support the other drivers enjoyed the guy probably would have won at least three championships. JMO

Nothing special a basic 63 galaxie 4 door 289 painted to look like Andy of Mayberrys cop car.

I am in the wrong business.

Had a nice '70 El Camino SS that I sold for $2800.00 back in 1984. It was loaded (but did have a 4 speed tranny) and only had about 70K miles on it when I sold it. I wonder what it would be worth now . . .

I understand what you are saying... Just hard for us to believe because at one time they were a dime a dozen... Not so much now... Like everything from the past: hard to come by antique.

No?

It rare and on pristine condition, which sets it apart from may standards Nova's.

Had a nice '70 El Camino SS that I sold for $2800.00 back in 1984. It was loaded (but did have a 4 speed tranny) and only had about 70K miles on it when I sold it. I wonder what it would be worth now . . .

Big block car with a LS-6 would.

• 2 months later...
Regarding the 67 Nova on BJ, This is an original triple black car with paperwork, Protect-O-Plate and photos when new with the original owner then and now. Original engine and transmission.

The Nova went for $137,000. Surprisingly[to me], they sold a 1964 GTO today for $27,000- second owner, 389 tri power, 4 speed, full documentation.

Even with out the $110,000 price difference, I would rather have the triple deuce goat.

They just sold a 1967 Austin Healey for $100,000. Unbelievable. I thought the economy was bad?

The economy is bad. That doesn't mean the disparity between the haves and have nots is getting any closer... Actually it is worse. Look at the 1930's, same thing there. One either has money or not.