The Day the Music Died

We've all heard the reasons for Trent's demise, and some of it may be legit, but last night I officially gave up on him as a starter for this team. Can anyone else remember this play yesterday?

It was about 8:30 in the 4th quarter and it was 2nd and 12th and T.O and Evans were lined up one-on-one with the box stacked with not a safety deep. Trent audibles to the line and then the WRs and then promptly hands off the ball to Fred Jackson for a 6 yard gain.

That's it, I've had enough. I could say his confidence was lacking previously, bad coaching, but this was 100% his call deep in our own territory with a shot to put the pressure on him. He didnt' want the pressure. Now I wouldn't have cared if it was his 3rd INT (this was before his actual 3rd), an incompletion, or 5 yards off the mark and he missed. Nope, this is not a leader of a football team.

I've been hoping against hope after his performance in Washington his rookie year, and his first game against the Jets where he did pretty well considering the circumstances. He was hitting slants in stride, and playing like he had a high ceiling.

As others have said it may have been coaching, it may be in his head, and frankly I don't care. I want a QB who leads. Go watch that play and tell me how anyone sees him as leading this team. I'm not a negative nancy, but that was a pathetic excuse of a play by a gutless QB. Throw a freaking jump ball softly about 20 yards and put the play on your and the WR.

Trent's a nice guy, doesn't particularly care about football and is not a big fan of the sport, and I'm sure he's in it for the money. I wish him well, but not as the starting QB for this team. I have never seen such a gutless audible in all of my life.

We've all heard the reasons for Trent's demise, and some of it may be legit, but last night I officially gave up on him as a starter for this team. Can anyone else remember this play yesterday?

It was about 8:30 in the 4th quarter and it was 2nd and 12th and T.O and Evans were lined up one-on-one with the box stacked with not a safety deep. Trent audibles to the line and then the WRs and then promptly hands off the ball to Fred Jackson for a 6 yard gain.

That's it, I've had enough. I could say his confidence was lacking previously, bad coaching, but this was 100% his call deep in our own territory with a shot to put the pressure on him. He didnt' want the pressure. Now I wouldn't have cared if it was his 3rd INT (this was before his actual 3rd), an incompletion, or 5 yards off the mark and he missed. Nope, this is not a leader of a football team.

I've been hoping against hope after his performance in Washington his rookie year, and his first game against the Jets where he did pretty well considering the circumstances. He was hitting slants in stride, and playing like he had a high ceiling.

As others have said it may have been coaching, it may be in his head, and frankly I don't care. I want a QB who leads. Go watch that play and tell me how anyone sees him as leading this team. I'm not a negative nancy, but that was a pathetic excuse of a play by a gutless QB. Throw a freaking jump ball softly about 20 yards and put the play on your and the WR.

Trent's a nice guy, doesn't particularly care about football and is not a big fan of the sport, and I'm sure he's in it for the money. I wish him well, but not as the starting QB for this team. I have never seen such a gutless audible in all of my life.

Yep I seen that too. I also had high hopes for him but I am done also. The guy is gutless & has no desire to win. There is a point where you just got to break away. I reached that point with Losman after the Pittsburgh game in 07, where I said to myself this guy is just never going to get it. I reached that point with Edwards. I hoped he soaked his vagina in epson salt after this loss. I have season tickets but I honestly do not think I am going to go to another game all year. I have had it with this gutless team that plays for an emotionless prick like Dickhead Jauron.

This is the day the music died...

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/475422.html

I wasn't even that upset at the loss to Miami. I was kind of of expecting it, though I didn't predict it. It was like, oh jeez would you take a look at that...this is what happens when an NFL coach quits on his players and decides to punt the ball on 4th and 1, down 10 points with 7 minutes left. With that pathetic performance in Miami, this team gave a clear message that they will no longer put it on the line for him. I fully expect the Browns to beat the Bills and for Ralph to mercifully fire Dick given the obvious player "lack of effort" revolt.

I wasn't even that upset at the loss to Miami. I was kind of of expecting it, though I didn't predict it. It was like, oh jeez would you take a look at that...this is what happens when an NFL coach quits on his players and decides to punt the ball on 4th and 1, down 10 points with 7 minutes left. With that pathetic performance in Miami, this team gave a clear message that they will no longer put it on the line for him. I fully expect the Browns to beat the Bills and for Ralph to mercifully fire Dick given the obvious player "lack of effort" revolt.

Ok, granted that is for the team, I was talking about supporting this guy as a starter. I was willing to watch him develop for this season, but that one play where he audibled on single coverage and put the team on Jackson rather than himself when the play was calling for him to go to the WR and that's why he audibled... well I can't see him as a leader.

I think though, he would be a decent 2nd string guy if we need him.

I went back and looked at the play, and you are mistaken. The play you are describing was 2nd and 14 from the Bills 4 yard line with 9:46 left in the game. I froze my picture right before the snap. There's only 9 Dolphins in the picture, which means there are 2 safeties deep. They were lined up in a 4 man front, with a DB opposite each of the 3 WR. The SS and one LB were also in the box. So they were playing dime cover-2. Edwards made the right call.

Agreed.

I got the sense that the "4th and gutless" call against the Saints wouldn't be a one-play wuss out mistake. A call like that sometimes sets the tone for a team...people/media bring it up a lot. There will be a bad loss this season and someone in the media will bring up the "4th and gutless" call against the Saints...maybe this Sunday. I thought the Bills looked like about 43 funeral directors or ushers this past Sunday. I didn't know you could be so mellow playing an NFL game.

I went back and looked at the play, and you are mistaken. The play you are describing was 2nd and 14 from the Bills 4 yard line with 9:46 left in the game. I froze my picture right before the snap. There's only 9 Dolphins in the picture, which means there are 2 safeties deep. They were lined up in a 4 man front, with a DB opposite each of the 3 WR. The SS and one LB were also in the box. So they were playing dime cover-2. Edwards made the right call.

Hey Don, TIVO is good to have. I don't have that luxury. Thanks for that. Are you saying the SS was in the box and there were 2 guys deep playing FS? If so then I have a bit more faith in the kid. From the 2 seconds I could see that angle on TV I didn't see those safeties 15-20 yards off the LOS so I couldn't see them.

Ok, so I'm partially retracted on the statement, but not fully. Don't you think he should have audibles into a quick slant and seen where that could take them. If you see 9 in the box I don't see how a running play is the right call. The pass setting up the run is the appropriate call when down by so much if I'm not mistaken.

Hey Don, TIVO is good to have. I don't have that luxury. Thanks for that. Are you saying the SS was in the box and there were 2 guys deep playing FS? If so then I have a bit more faith in the kid. From the 2 seconds I could see that angle on TV I didn't see those safeties 15-20 yards off the LOS so I couldn't see them.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. They were running a defense very similar to the dime setup that Wade Phillips used for so many years here. 4 "linemen", where some of them might be LBs, one "dime LB", your nickel CB and SS up near the line on a WR/TE, and 2 safeties deep.
Ok, so I'm partially retracted on the statement, but not fully. Don't you think he should have audibles into a quick slant and seen where that could take them. If you see 9 in the box I don't see how a running play is the right call. The pass setting up the run is the appropriate call when down by so much if I'm not mistaken.
They didn't have 9 in the box, more like 6 and a half. The 4 down linemen, at least one of which was a LB, plus one LB lined up more/less in the middle, and a SS across from Nelson, along with another DB across from Reed. The Bills have a blocker for every defender, and all of our blockers are bigger than the people they're blocking.

I would certainly hope they have audibles for slants, but that wouldn't have been a good call on the play in question. Shortly before the snap, the 5 underneath cover defenders dropped about 5 yards off the line of scrimmage, with the ones in the middle dropping a little deeper to form an umbrella. That's an ideal setup to cover slant routes.

Slants are good "hot routes" when a LB is blitzing, because you know there isn't a LB on that side to be in zone coverage helping out the CB on the inside.