controversy on page 2

Mile High

I was listening to the the Dan patrick show on the radio today and he kept talk about Jason Whitlock's article on page 2 on the espn website and here it is:

Article

Make your own conclusions.. it's pretty well you'll see. overall i really don't agree with any of the junk this guy wrote on the page except for the hockey part and thats about it.

sample of the article

The criticism of USA Basketball is borderline racist, is definitely unsophisticated and exposes a lot of super patriots as hypocrites. Allen Iverson is wearing our jersey -- our red, white and blue -- and playing the game the way we taught him to play it.

i don't care what color your skin is no matter what the case. and i think that most true sports fans feel the same way no matter what the case. and if your wearing the red, white and blue we root for whoever that person may be, that much more.

this is what is wrong with our press and media and why some atheletes don't like to talk to them.

I was listening to the the Dan patrick show on the radio today and he kept talk about Jason Whitlock's article on page 2 on the espn website and here it is:

Article

Make your own conclusions..  it's pretty well you'll see.  overall i really don't agree with any of the junk this guy wrote on the page except for the hockey part and thats about it.

sample of the article

i don't care what color your skin is no matter what the case.  and i think that most true sports fans feel the same way no matter what the case.  and if your wearing the red, white and blue we root for whoever that person may be, that much more.

this is what is wrong with our press and media and why some athelets don't like to talk to them.

8604[/snapback]

I agree with your main point....but I take issue with that quote from the author of the article: Allen Iverson is one of my favorite players, but he's not really known for playing basketball the way he's taught to play it lol

Dear Ann Landers,

There's a team in NewenGland called the "P-A-T-R-I-O-T-S" and THEIR uniforms are RED WHITE AND BLUE, and I actively root against them every minute of every day.

I recently read a Jason Whitlock article on the ESPN website, and he says I'm a racist and hypocrite for not rooting for any team from my country that is wrapped in red white and blue even if they're unfazed by their own underachieving. He says I should be proud of them because there now is parity in world sport and the days of Red Auerbach and team dynasties are gone - like those of the Red Army hockey and Russian gymnastics teams.

Yes, things have changed. The end of the cold war brought us new sports marvels like the Detroit Red Army to the NHL, Vlade Divac and Yao Ming to the NBA, and an outfielder on my favorite baseball team is Japanese -- from JAPAN! My favorite athlete of all time - Michael Jordan - retired years ago. It was a joy to watch him, because he never gave us and did amazing, awe-inspiring things on the court.

So, should I root for any of these foreign players when they play IN the USA for an American team? Do I HAVE to root for the team from NewenGland because of their 'colors'? Must I root for a team that is led by a crazy white guy who can't coach shooters, or could I just buy seasons tickets to an NBA team of Jason Whitlock's choosing?

I guess I've never been that comfortable being told what to do and how I should feel - especially about sports. After watching the AI and Larry Brown clown show in Philadelphia for years, I'm not sure I ever want to watch professional basketball again.

Signed,

Confused and Befuddled in Princeton

then i'm a racist. i want team USA to lose this year so they can dominate once again in 2008. This group of self serving losers doesn't deserve to represent my country in the olympics. Team basketball requires the best team. Team usa didn't get the best team, so i want them to lose so they can adjust what they're doing to recruit the best and then go get them. As for calling me racist because i am rooting for my team in the long term, then you're a ignorant flame writer, espn2 guy.

then i'm a racist.  i want team USA to lose this year so they can dominate once again in 2008.  This group of self serving losers doesn't deserve to represent my country in the olympics.  Team basketball requires the best team.  Team usa didn't get the best team, so i want them to lose so they can adjust what they're doing to recruit the best and then go get them.  As for calling me racist because i am rooting for my team in the long term, then you're a ignorant flame writer, espn2 guy.

8641[/snapback]

have you actually been watching USA play from the Lithuania game onwards?

wow- the race card used again... getting a bit old, isnt it?

The reason I want them to lose, and I do, is because I hate the idea of Pro's being allowed in the Olympics in general. Was it fun to watch the original "Dream Team" win gold? Yeah, about as fun as watching Lennox Lewis get in a ring with a retarded teenager. Its good to see that these guys are being challenged. Sure, the other teams have "some" NBAers on them, but the entire roster?

And if its a race issue, then why in the world did i stay up last night, while NBC tortured me with breaking in of the womens 3Meter diving competition to wait and see the US win gold, silver, and bronze in the 400M, and win Gold and Silver in the Long jump? Guess what, all 5 of those athletes were as black as the day is long, but that never even crossed my mind.

If the basketball thing is a race issue, we would be hoping 90% of our athletes failed.

This writer was going for shock value, it worked, but he is a schlep.

wow- the race card used again... getting a bit old, isnt it?

The reason I want them to lose, and I do, is because I hate the idea of Pro's being allowed in the Olympics in general. Was it fun to watch the original "Dream Team" win gold? Yeah, about as fun as watching Lennox Lewis get in a ring with a retarded teenager.  Its good to see that these guys are being challenged. Sure, the other teams have "some" NBAers on them, but the entire roster?

And if its a race issue, then why in the world did i stay up last night, while NBC tortured me with breaking in of the womens 3Meter diving competition to wait and see the US win gold, silver, and bronze in the 400M, and win Gold and Silver in the Long jump? Guess what, all 5 of those athletes were as black as the day is long, but that never even crossed my mind. 

If the basketball thing is a race issue, we would be hoping 90% of our athletes failed.

This writer was going for shock value, it worked, but he is a schlep.

8913[/snapback]

i hope that we win gold in basketball just to piss off everyone who thiks we are going to lose.

well, i just wrote that guy an email:

This email is in response to your article on "Page Two" of ESPN.com.

Its funny that you were the first to bring this up. The race card. Brought up yet again. It seems any time a story breaks (and in this case the story would be why some Americans are rooting against Team USA), we review the situation and check and see if there are any African Americans involved so that people like you finally get to use the race card. Congrats on being the first one to use it in this case. You were pretty quick on the draw. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Do some Americans hope Team USA loses? Of course. Why? It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that the Olympics just don't have that luster they once had (hell, we couldn't even get our VERY best stars to make the trip). But even so, the team that was thrown together walked into Athens as if winning the gold was a mere formality. The overall cockiness put a bad taste in some people's mouths. Then, to see them get their butts handed to them by teams with unknown players was rather refreshing. Was it right to root against your own country? That isn't for me to decide. But was it racist? You have to be kidding.

It could also have something to do with the fact that once in turned from a pure amateur sport to another marketing event for the NBAers, its lost a bit of its patriotic magic. To see these guys, who are more than likely "going for the gold" because it will help sell another hundred thousand pairs of their sneakers, lose to men who are really playing for the love of the game makes you think - for maybe a second - that this is what the Olympics were all about.

But then there came you, a guy looking to finally get his name known - by someone, somewhere. Well, you took the scumbag approach and brought what is an interesting topic (why some Americans are rooting against Team USA) and turned it into an issue that was NOT even present: the race issue. And from reading your article, you based this entire theory on ONE caller to a radio show. GREAT journalistic work!

Your entire "race" theory goes right out the door when you look at all the other events. Last night, I stayed up to watch the finals on NBC of the men's 400M and the finals of the long jump. I could have gone on-line and found the results, but I like to watch it for myself. Anyway, aside from being interrupted by the 3 Meter diving competition the night of Olympic TV was great. Oh, and by the way, I simply don't find the sport of diving interesting, nothing against Chinese people (who won gold and silver), please don't let me give you more fuel for your fire. Anyway, I watched as the US men won Gold, Silver, AND Bronze in the 400M, and Gold and Silver in the long jump. But, with your theory, how could I possibly be happy? I mean, ALL FIVE MEN were African American. And you know how we can't root for our athletes unless they are blonde hair and blue eyes, right? I was distraught. But I dug down deep and found a way to be happy. Happy for these AMERICANS who don't compete for the millions of dollars, who don't walk into the Olympic games EXPECTING gold, who show some class, and compete against other amateurs. I found a way to be happy for them. And guess what? The color of their skin never once entered my mind.

Again, congrats on finally making a name for yourself. I don't know if that's how I would have gone about doing it, but you finally have what you want. Now that you have your name out there, can you do us all a favor and return the race card to whoever you got it from? Thanks.

Steve Stojanovich

West Palm Beach, FL

then i'm a racist.  i want team USA to lose this year so they can dominate once again in 2008.  This group of self serving losers doesn't deserve to represent my country in the olympics.  Team basketball requires the best team.  Team usa didn't get the best team, so i want them to lose so they can adjust what they're doing to recruit the best and then go get them.  As for calling me racist because i am rooting for my team in the long term, then you're a ignorant flame writer, espn2 guy.

8641[/snapback]

Self seving losers?!!!! You're an idiot. Do you mean self serving like declining the invitation to represent your country in the Olympics like Shaq and KG did? Have fun watching the USA kick the crap out of your Argentinian team you loser.

seriously, how many of you have actually watched all the basketball games since the Puerto Rico debacle? If you have there is no way you can say that this team "self-serving" and not giving it every they got. They leave EVERYTHING they have on the floor and they play for each other. They also move the basketball around beautifully. I'll be upset if WE lose to Argentina, but I'll be damn proud of them because I know they're going to give it everythign they got.

EDITED

Do some Americans hope Team USA loses? Of course. Why? It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that the Olympics just don't have that luster they once had (hell, we couldn't even get our VERY best stars to make the trip). But even so, the team that was thrown together walked into Athens as if winning the gold was a mere formality. The overall cockiness put a bad taste in some people's mouths. Then, to see them get their butts handed to them by teams with unknown players was rather refreshing. Was it right to root against your own country? That isn't for me to decide. But was it racist? You have to be kidding.

8957[/snapback]

Well said Steve. I for one have always disliked of the "bully" mentality of the U.S. Men's Olympic Basketball team. The vaulted original "Dream Team" reminded me of the bullies the USSR sent to Placid in '80, just as each of the later U.S. basketball teams have. That's why I don't like this year's team; not because I'm a racist or unpatriotic. Most Americans don't like bullies and will root against them when they get what's coming to them. To call those people racist or unpatriotic is wrong.

Do you mean self serving like declining the invitation to represent your country in the Olympics like Shaq and KG did?

that's what i meant by calling them self serving losers. Hey, if usa wins then i'd be really happy. I want usa to win. i just think the point has been made that this team needs the best players and the best team makeup it can have, and it hasn't because of people like KG, shaq, et al. who turned down the invites. As for the other reply who asked if i've seen a game since lithuania, yes i have. They played their butts off against ltu and the games since then. My point is that the best players need to be out there, period. if it takes a couple of losses to show that, then yes, that's what's got to happen. Don't call me an idiot though, because i'm not. I'm not rooting for greece either. I just want mens BB to have the respect of the best players who can play. And don't call me an idiot for taking offense to what that writer said.

What a joke this writer is. He expects Americans blindly support an Olympic team that the best players refused to play on, that the current players have stated if they lose it will be all right and have corrupted the American game. The Europeans didn't reinvent the game. They simply play it the way it is supposed to be played. The NBA and ESPN corrupted the American game and created the "3 guy stand around offense". Look at the NBA of Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and previous and you will see the game the foreigners play now.

The failure of the USA Olympic team to dominate has more to do with the current players being selfish and the highlight shows than the American public not supporting them.

First off, I'm rooting for the USA to take the whole thing.

I think that if the lineup was Jason Kidd, Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Kevin Garnett, Shaq instead of the lineup we have now, then there'd be nobody "rooting" against the USA. If the current team could actually hit a 20 foot jump shot, then maybe just maybe people would cheer for them. Not everyone is a fan of the 1 on 1, playground style of basketball the NBA plays. Not having the best team we could have, and the type of basketball the team was playing up until the last 2 games, there's the obvious reasons why people would want to see the USA lose.

Well said Steve.  I for one have always disliked of the "bully" mentality of the U.S. Men's Olympic Basketball team.  The vaulted original "Dream Team" reminded me of the bullies the USSR sent to Placid in '80, just as each of the later U.S. basketball teams have.  That's why I don't like this year's team; not because I'm a racist or unpatriotic.  Most Americans don't like bullies and will root against them when they get what's coming to them.  To call those people racist or unpatriotic is wrong.

8986[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but exactly when did this USA team bully anyone? Please give me one example of this team being a bully to the other nations it has played. They've conducted themselves admirably by owning up to their weaknesses and in turn have treated their opponents with respect (maybe even too much respect). To compare this team to the Dreamteam is laughable, and rooting against the USA very unpatriotic.

First off, I'm rooting for the USA to take the whole thing.

I think that if the lineup was Jason Kidd, Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Kevin Garnett, Shaq instead of the lineup we have now, then there'd be nobody "rooting" against the USA. If the current team could actually hit a 20 foot jump shot, then maybe just maybe people would cheer for them. Not everyone is a fan of the 1 on 1, playground style of basketball the NBA plays.  Not having the best team we could have, and the type of basketball the team was playing up until the last 2 games, there's the obvious reasons why people would want to see the USA lose.

9045[/snapback]

how is this any different from hoping the Bills lose every game so we can get the #1 draft pick?

and once more. WE AREN'T PLAYING 1V1 BASKETBALL!!!

Wow. That's pretty sickening.

Yes, I despise Alan Iverson. Not because he's black, or he has cornrows or tatoos. It has a little to do with that "practice" tirade.

I'm not actively rooting against them, but not really for them. I do like Tim Duncan...

I wonder what this clown thinks about people hating players like Bill Romanoski?

Scumbags come in all shapes, sizes, and colors.