Is it me....

SouthernMan

I've never cared for the robot either, but they've had that character for how long now? 7 years?

I can't stand FOX's coverage either, I like their announcers, but their studio is terrible.

Remember when they used to add all those fake audio grunts and sound effects during the highlights? That was so annoying.

Oh, how I miss NFL Primetime when it comes to highlights. :rolleyes:

The robot is for the kids, to help get the younger generation interested in the game. It might be an annoyance to adults, but they're not going to change the channel because of it, because, well, you have no choice if you want to see the game.

For Kids!?!?

That's what dads are for - to sit with their kids and explain stuff like football. What is the robot - a surrogate for single mom households? Hey look, I don't wish for archive footage from the Colts-Giants 1958 game or the Heidi bowl to encroach on your cablecast of friggin Sponge Bob, so keep the damn animatrics away from my leather and turf, thank you. Enough with the mixed multi-media crap.

BTW - in terms of graphics that best reflect the smashmouth "manliness" of NFL football, NBC has it going on.

...or does anyone else find the FOX animated robot and accompanying guitar riff, ripped off from the Christmas song "Sleigh Ride" (giddyup, giddyup, let's go) incredibly annoying? Are we beer drinking adults or is this Saturday morning cartoon time?

What the hell does that retarded Transformer-looking thing have to do with football?

As if it wasn't bad enough, now they have it doing that bronco rodeo ride motion that McGahee used to think was so clever.

Glad the Bills are done with FOX games after next week.

I do not disagree regarding the robot etc. I do like the guys that they had announcing the game.

I also have to say that the CBS theme music gets tiresome - especially given that they play it all game long.

The best was when (ESPN I think) was playing Led Zep coming out of breaks (was it last year?).

For Kids!?!?

That's what dads are for - to sit with their kids and explain stuff like football. What is the robot - a surrogate for single mom households? Hey look, I don't wish for archive footage from the Colts-Giants 1958 game or the Heidi bowl to encroach on your cablecast of friggin Sponge Bob, so keep the damn animatrics away from my leather and turf, thank you. Enough with the mixed multi-media crap.

BTW - in terms of graphics that best reflect the smashmouth "manliness" of NFL football, NBC has it going on.

That's what I read was the reason why Fox uses robots and catroonish-like graphics.

That's what I read was the reason why Fox uses robots and catroonish-like graphics.

I doubt they give a rats ass about kids watching. If they did, you'd see commercial time dedicated to selling Pop-o-matic Trouble and Lucky Charms.

I guess my issue is that that the Robot animation thing makes zero sense. How do over-armored CGI robots and football have common ground?

Why not show Moe hitting Curly in the head with a jackhammer? It'd be about as relevant (but more entertaining IMO).

...or does anyone else find the FOX animated robot and accompanying guitar riff, ripped off from the Christmas song "Sleigh Ride" (giddyup, giddyup, let's go) incredibly annoying? Are we beer drinking adults or is this Saturday morning cartoon time?

My father made the exact observation the first time Fox went on air with the NFC. I've wondered since how they are not sued for the uncredited use of that portion of the jingle. Maybe they own the rights?

Furthermore, I can't look past the fact that Fox studio is in LA. Now we all know that football is entertainment, but those buffoons at Fox traditionally have stopped just short of mockery of the game with their antics. LA has a rich football tradition, but the Fox studio show might as well be TMZ.

While growing-up in the NY metro area, we were blessed with a surplus of serious sports journalism and commentary across media. Now, the volume is on mute across the board.