The Long Run

Biils are 3 games out of the playoffs with 8 remaining, with a favorable schedule down the road. This could be a wacky kind of season where 8-8 may get in a wildcard.

The team has been playing very well lately, and there's no reason to rush JP into action. Having him sit out the season is analogous to McGahee sitting last year.

A thinking mans' thread by CVM . Quite the conundrum.

There isn't a Bills fan here that is rooting against the Bills tonight, CVM included. He's just bringing up a discussion concerning the long term ramifications of the future core of our Offensive skill position players.

I have my doubts that a win tonight would blind TD,Mularkey,Wyche and Co. from looking at the QB situation long and hard. I believe Losman will get some snaps this season. The Bills would NOT rubber stamp Bledsoe as the long term starter if an upset occured tonight, due to the fact that our running success would probably be the reason for the win. It's been a long time since we won on the road and to be a playoff team, 4-5 road wins a season are needed. Is that Bledsoe's MO these days ? Hardly. He's been brutal on the road and if MaGahee is kept in check, some playmaking ability is needed form the QB position. That screams of Losman, not Bledsoe.

Despite the weekly emotional roller coaster ride of many here, the Bills brass will continue to be pragmatic about the QB position...one week at a time.

Losman is our future and one win will not set the plan back weeks or years.

Good post, CVM.

115986[/snapback]

Finally someone who gets the concept of a point/counterpoint discussion and the value of playing devil's advocate.

Thanks Mark VI for saving this thread - you have my eternal gratitude.

:)

If we agree on the assumption that a 10-6 record, minimum, is needed to make the playoffs, are the Bills better off winning or losing tomorrow?

If they spank the Patsies, they have momentum on their side and Drew is more than likely the starting QB for the rest of the season. To make the 10-6 mark they can only lose one more game - meaning they will have to go 9-1 for the last 10 games of the season.

If this happens JP sits for the entire year and the benefit of trading up to draft him and give him a year of grooming is greatly diminished. If Drew stays as the #1 and they fall one game short of the playoffs at 9-7 it is truly a waste.

If they lose, the playoffs are pretty much toast and the JP era can be started without Drew having to lose face. Of course this means that the 2004 season is, for all intents and purposes, over in mid-November and they are just playing out the string.

What's better? An ouside chance at the playoffs this year or a 7 game in-season pre-season to gel the triad of Losman, McGahee and Evans?

If you think it's the former, do you think this team can truly make a near-run of the table as they need to do?

If you side with the latter, are you ready to root against the red, white and blue for the greater good of the big picture?

Discuss.

115787[/snapback]

A win tonight would NOT mean that Drew would be in for the rest of the season. Ever hear of injuries?

Also, we dont even have a first round pick. What would make a loss a good thing? Benching Drew? Wouldn't you rather the Bills win no matter who is QB?

Cheer for Drew tonight. Cheer for the Buffalo Bills Football Team.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A win tonight would NOT mean that Drew would be in for the rest of the season. Ever hear of injuries?

Not likely with Drew. But that's the only real scenario I can see. I think this team is ready to do some good things, even though they might not be enough. If they get mathematically eliminated early-enough, we'll see JP. But putting him in before then is giving-up on the season.

Also, we dont even have a first round pick. What would make a loss a good thing? Benching Drew? Wouldn't you rather the Bills win no matter who is QB?

Cheer for Drew tonight. Cheer for the Buffalo Bills Football Team.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A true Bills fan roots for the Bills to win no matter WHO the QB is. They don't root against a certain player.