Have we forgotten?

weehawk

Hi.

When the Bills first started talking about going to TO for games, there was a lot of talk on the board regarding the Bills future in Buffalo. That talk has mostly ended. I'm bringing it up in relation to how this team is being run into the ground and probably being prepared for a sale to interests outside of Buffalo. In other words, why would Wilson spend money on a winner when he knows he's going to pass on soon and the team will be gone anyway? Sure, you can argue that making the team better will increase it's value at sales time, but Wilson is notoriously cheap and probably does not care. If he really wanted a winner, he'd pay for one.

I am unaware of any group that has the financial means, who intend to keep the team in WNY. Jim Kelly and his group, Tom Golisano, and others previously mentioned do not have the money to buy a $700 million team and keep them in Buffalo. The Bills lease is due in 2012 and the Bills refuse to talk extension or otherwise negotiate with the County or State. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on why they think the Bills will stay beyond 2012 (or Wilson's death) and back it up with solid data regarding buyers and their intentions.

I'm not trying to bring you down. However, we go on and on about how bad the team is. I think we are at the point of no return. As long as Wilson continues to run the team like this, you can forgot about a Super Bowl. It's just not in the cards. We had four chances and couldn't do it. I've been to games at the Rockpile and have been a life-long fan. I'm just as bummed as anyone else. I just dont see a future for this team in WNY. No flames please. Let's try to keep it reasonable.

Thanks.

Hi.

When the Bills first started talking about going to TO for games, there was a lot of talk on the board regarding the Bills future in Buffalo. That talk has mostly ended. I'm bringing it up in relation to how this team is being run into the ground and probably being prepared for a sale to interests outside of Buffalo. In other words, why would Wilson spend money on a winner when he knows he's going to pass on soon and the team will be gone anyway? Sure, you can argue that making the team better will increase it's value at sales time, but Wilson is notoriously cheap and probably does not care. If he really wanted a winner, he'd pay for one.

I am unaware of any group that has the financial means, who intend to keep the team in WNY. Jim Kelly and his group, Tom Golisano, and others previously mentioned do not have the money to buy a $700 million team and keep them in Buffalo. The Bills lease is due in 2012 and the Bills refuse to talk extension or otherwise negotiate with the County or State. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on why they think the Bills will stay beyond 2012 (or Wilson's death) and back it up with solid data regarding buyers and their intentions.

I'm not trying to bring you down. However, we go on and on about how bad the team is. I think we are at the point of no return. As long as Wilson continues to run the team like this, you can forgot about a Super Bowl. It's just not in the cards. We had four chances and couldn't do it. I've been to games at the Rockpile and have been a life-long fan. I'm just as bummed as anyone else. I just dont see a future for this team in WNY. No flames please. Let's try to keep it reasonable.

Thanks.

This constant crap about Ralph Wilson being cheap doesn't add up. Look at some of the contracts he has given out: Evans, Shobel, Owens, Dockery, Walker, Kelsey.....You may question the wisdom but to call him cheap is just wrong.

Hi.

Welcome to the board!

I don't think anyone has forgotten about those worries. All the business of a new season has kind of drowned out those voices for the time being. Nobody knows what will happen. My feeling is that the Bills will stay in Buffalo. How? I don't know. I don't have any facts or figures to back it up, but too many people feel strongly enough about it--where there's a will there's a way.

Hi.

Thanks.

Ralph spends on players consistent with other teams in the league. Mark Gaughan had a story the other day that showed Buffalo's total contracts (which are not guaranteed) are near the bottom. I'm not going to skewer RW on that. However, he chooses to keep the same poor managers, and as a result the product on the field suffers. RW need not spend like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder to win, he simply needs to find better executives versed in football personnel. But alas, he chooses not to.

It is the 800 pound gorilla in the room that there is no succession plan. And if the Bills are making 40M per season with a team value of 900M plus, I don't see a motivator for this heirs to keep the team.

Labor struggles have commenced, the owner is 90, and the WNY economy is not improving. I am not surprised the lease hasn't been extended, nor is there any talk of it. It seems hard to imagine the Bills remaining in Buffalo beyond Mr. Wilson's passing.

Hi.

Thanks.

There are literally 100 other posts about this exact same thing... :unsure:

Buffalo is in a bad economy of New York - if they move...they move. It's business.

BUT...

I don't think the team will move because the Bills have such a HUGE fanbase. Money talks ( I know ), but even if someone other than Kelly and co. bought the Bills - they should probably keep them in Buffalo, NY considering the fan base is proven to be loyal.

Hi.

I concur w/ others who point out that while the Bills can be accused of spending poorly, they cannot be called "cheap".

Actually, per the latest Forbes report, the Bills are a $900 million team. As for who would buy 'em and keep 'em in WNY? I wish I knew.

We'll do our best to keep things civil. But, this point has been rehashed a ridiculous amount of times here over the years. Ralph Wilson either needs to hire someone he trusts (big problem) to do the job of managing the team and have that person prove to be effective in that role (unlike Donahoe or Levy) or the team needs new ownership. It's been this way for years. 'Til the Bills have the infrastructure in place (cohesion from ownership to management to coaching to players), don't expect much.

We welcome you to the board.

If we spend on talent like the rest of the league, why do we suck so bad? RW is cheap. He wont buy a decent QB and OL and he cheaps out on the FO staff. If he's not cheap, then he is incredibly stupid to spend so much money on such a lame team. Personally, I dont think he's stupid.

As far as the relo topic being discussed to death, ok, I'm cool with that. It's apparent that folks are sick of it. I was just curious if there was any solid news beyond what has been previously discussed. Apparently not.

FWIW, 6-10 this year. DJ is fired, another loser is brought in, and we start all over again.

This constant crap about Ralph Wilson being cheap doesn't add up. Look at some of the contracts he has given out: Evans, Shobel, Owens, Dockery, Walker, Kelsey.....You may question the wisdom but to call him cheap is just wrong.

For players salaries, I mostly agree with you.

But for coaching salaries, it is clear that since Marv left, Ralph has preferred to hire coaches on the cheap. Would Wilson pay $10 million or whatever per season for the likes of a Bill Cowher? Is Cowher (or any coach) even worth that? No, and no as far as I am concerned.

But if, after this season the Bills do not make the playoffs and Jauron is in fact fired, IF the Bills once again reach on an unproven (Bobby April- I have an eerie feeling about him being the heir- or the waterboy in Dallas) head coach, then it will be evident when a stable of offensively-minded, coaching GM's WITH PROVEN FOOTBALL AND PERSONNEL KNOWLEDGE (Holmgren, Gruden, Shanahan) will be available for next season.

Ralph can hide behind fears of giving all of the keys to the Bills kingdom to one individual (thanks, Donahoe), but clearly GM by committee does not work as the central theme or team identity has no unified direction. Brandon may be an excellent marketer, but NFL GM he is not.

And will someone can John Guy and Modrak already?

If we spend on talent like the rest of the league, why do we suck so bad? RW is cheap. He wont buy a decent QB and OL and he cheaps out on the FO staff. If he's not cheap, then he is incredibly stupid to spend so much money on such a lame team. Personally, I dont think he's stupid.

Well, the Bills are 21-27 the past 3 years; plenty of teams that are worse. Not sure where you want him to 'buy a decent QB' (at the Decent QB Store?) And no, I don't think a guy who has built a $900MM business is stupid either. I think he's just maximizing his team's value for his heirs.

looking at the many teams with blackout problems in "major" markets, and the failure of teams in the LA market (the one I seem to hear the most about looking to capture a team), and the present economic environment, the Buffalo western new york base sounds like a good bet to me for whoever buys the team. Toronto is often discussed but it is a leap to think that the folks in WNY Rochester areas will gravitate to a team where they need a passport to see the game. Cleveland Pittsburgh and New York would probably get a good chunk of whatever fans are left. I am hopeful that the Bills will stay in Buffalo and Western New York because it is a good market and a good business decision. Maybe I'm wearing homer glasses, but I really see us as viable in our own right.

Decent QB Store-that's a good one.

C'mon though. Losman and Edwards? That's the best we can do? Although without an OL, we could have Unitas in there and it wouldn't mean squat. I dont think you can justify a losing record just because other teams are worse. So we're shooting for mediocrity. We made that a long time ago.

Well, the Bills are 21-27 the past 3 years; plenty of teams that are worse. Not sure where you want him to 'buy a decent QB' (at the Decent QB Store?) And no, I don't think a guy who has built a $900MM business is stupid either. I think he's just maximizing his team's value for his heirs.