OT: Schools and Parenting...

mcjeff215

My father and stepmother are both highschool teachers. It never seizes to amaze me when I hear their work stories.

1) School banned cell phones from class. Parents complained and now kids are allowed to have and use them during class. If you should get a call during a test, no problem... just go outside until you are finished talking.

2) One student was caught cheating on a test. Even though the kid admitted to cheating, his parents appealed and the teacher was told to pass the kid no matter what.

3) A mother told my dad her daughter didn't need to take US History because she was going to airline stewardess school in Florida after graduation. The school board forced the school to remove history from her core requirements for graduation.

I could go on but the point is the same. The taxpayer is always right and the teacher is always wrong.

My father and stepmother are both highschool teachers.  It never seizes to amaze me hear their work stories. 

1) School banned cell phones from class.  Parents complained and now kids are allowed to have and use them during class.  If you should get a call during a test, no problem... just go outside until you are finished talking.

2) One student was caught cheating on a test.  Even though the kid admitted to cheating, his parents appealed and the teacher was told to pass the kid no matter what. 

3) A mother told my dad her daughter didn't need to take US History because she was going to airline stewardess school in Florida after graduation.  The school board forced the school to remove history from her core requirements for graduation.

I could go on but the point is the same.  The taxpayer is always right and the teacher is always wrong.

113919[/snapback]

I know every educator on this board can share the same sort of stories..I know I can

Because the parents are enablers.  If they take responsibility that means it's THEIR fault the way the kid is acting- so, it must be someone else's fault.

113780[/snapback]

Bullseye. My wife is a Math Teacher. Her frustration level with students/parents is tested constantly with sheer stupidity.

Having gone through Catholic grammer school in the 1960's and Catholic High School in the 1970's, I know many here understand how I view todays " spare the rod " philosophy.

Kids need to have cell phones on, while in school. Gotcha.

Parents now act as their children's lawyers and not as their parent. As a high school teacher, a have a variety of stories where mommy- yes, usually mommy- rides in to the main office on her white horse to save her precious from the consequences of their action, threatening to sue if they don't get their way.

What happened to the good old days when if you got in trouble at school, you got in even more trouble at home?

and now the latest boys and girls, teachers arent supposed to mark papers in red because it makes the students feel bad about themselves. Well what about the 'A' students ? Does a red 'A' make them feel bad?

It's a good thing we weren't so touchy feely in 1941. Ja?

School systems today are so flucked up it isn't funny.  Most of the problems stem from the schools trying to administer too much control which causes some children, and some parents, to rebel.

Heck, in my nephew's school he isn't allowed to hit another student.  No matter the situation or circumstance.  Last year a bully was picking on him and so my brother told his son to fight back and stick up for himself.  His son said he culdn't because he'd get into trouble.  So, my brother talked to the school and asked them to get a handle on this bully because he was worried about the safety of his son. They said he was a known bully and that they'd watch over him at recess and make sure everything was OK.  Well, 3 teachers on yard duty isn't enough to properly monitor 600 school kids and the result ..... my nephew gets beat up.  My brother, now up in arms, goes and talks to the principal and tells her that if they can't protect his child while under school supervision then he'd ensure that his son would protect himself by fighting back.  Long story short, my nephew ended up fighting this bully and got suspended as a result.

What's next ..... no tag football?

113857[/snapback]

I'd be in the principal's or superintedent's office (maybe both) pushing the papers off their desks and flipping them over. Tell them they can't protect themselves or else they go to jail, while I get a slap on the wrist. Pick them up by the lapels. Tell them they can't protect themselves or else they go to jail, while I get a slap on the wrist. Slap them over the back of the head. Tell them they can't protect themselves or else they go to jail, while I get a slap on the wrist. Punch them in the face. Tell them they can't protect themselves or else they go to jail, while I get a slap on the wrist.

It's sad but it's probably only when someone does this, will hearts and minds of administrators change. Violence isn't an answer, but fighting back against violence and the offender is a good step. Last I checked, there are laws permitting (even lethal) self-defense in the real world. The current situation is tantamount to 'Hey, let's just LET Kleibold and Harris shoot us! Stand up so we're better targets!'

This is the STUPIDEST policy I've ever heard of, second only to some of the bonehead applications of "zero-tolerance."

The issue is the mentality of the ACLU. Basically, the kids civil liberties have been violated. If the school says no it means no....if I do not like the rules I move the kid out the school...but why would I ever condone my kids behavoir of breaking school rules.

but why would I ever condone my kids behavoir of breaking school rules.

114085[/snapback]

..... To save him from getting the crap beaten out of him perhaps?

Are you to tell me that if your kid was in a school which prohibits contact with another student that you'd forbid your kid was sticking up for himself should a bully pick on him?

And please don't say you'd move your kid to another school because they likely have the same no touch policy not to mention moving would create as much of an undesirable situation with your kid with having to leave his friends. And what kind of message does moving him and giving into the bully's antics show to your kid? It's easier to walk away from trouble than to face it head on. No thanks, in this case I'd explain to my kid that sometimes it's OK to bend the rules if it's for your, or someones else's well being.

most minors CAN NOT think for themselves.

I'd add to that with most adults can't think for themselves.

I knew the pierced kid was bad news when the opening paragraph stated they moved to Atlanta for better schools. Are you kidding me? Most my friends that have kids, have either moved away or are planning to move after kindergarten, because of the poor quality of schools.

I'd be in the principal's or superintedent's office (maybe both) pushing the papers off their desks and flipping them over. Tell them they can't protect themselves or else they go to jail, while I get a slap on the wrist. Pick them up by the lapels. Tell them they can't protect themselves or else they go to jail, while I get a slap on the wrist. Slap them over the back of the head. Tell them they can't protect themselves or else they go to jail, while I get a slap on the wrist. Punch them in the face. Tell them they can't protect themselves or else they go to jail, while I get a slap on the wrist.

It's sad but it's probably only when someone does this, will hearts and minds of administrators change. Violence isn't an answer, but fighting back against violence and the offender is a good step. Last I checked, there are laws permitting (even lethal) self-defense in the real world. The current situation is tantamount to 'Hey, let's just LET Kleibold and Harris shoot us! Stand up so we're better targets!'

This is the STUPIDEST policy I've ever heard of, second only to some of the bonehead applications of "zero-tolerance."

114024[/snapback]

Oh don't get me started on "zero tolerance." That's just as bad...