Pats* secondary appears to be as bad as advertised

Chandler#81

From Don Banks today:

"New York's opening onslaught shredded the Patriots for 206 yards and three touchdowns, all in the first quarter. The completions went for 44 yards to tight end Kevin Boss, nine yards to Boss, 23 yards to Sinorice Moss for a touchdown (all from Eli Manning), 38 yards to Domenik Hixon, 12 yards to Moss for another touchdown, 16 yards to Mario Manningham, and a 64-yard dagger to the heart for another touchdown, this one by rookie Hakeem Nicks.

Backup David Carr threw the last four of those passes, for 130 yards and two scores, after Manning had finished his one series of work 3 for 3 for 76 yards. Overall, Manning and Carr completed all nine of their attempts in the game, for 229 yards and three scores. Both finished with perfect 158.3 passer ratings for the game. Has an NFL team ever had two quarterbacks finish with perfect passer ratings in the same game, when they each threw more than a pass?

I get the feeling New England's secondary might just get some extra attention from Bill Belichick in the coming week, and that's never a good thing in Foxboro."

All the off-season and pre-season hype is over. It's showtime on a grand stage. Owens, Evans, Johnson & Nelson will get open in this secondary. Will the Bills -and Edwards, specifically- go after this Pats* weakness? I also expect their LB's and safety's to cheat up to jump short routes, further exposing openings deep. I certainly expect Brady to attack deep with his weapons, and we have fine talent in our secondary.

IMO, attacking through the air is our best chance to win the opener, but it seems to go against everything we've seen since Edwards began starting. All that's required is enough time for Trent to set his feet and we've seen that the new OL can provide this. If ever there's an opportunity to step up and compete, I think the Pats* secondary provides it.

Irresistible force to meet immovable object?

The theory and game-plans are obvious. I don't think that Pats' D is the kind you can beat with a slant and short pass offense and they are very vulnerable to the long ball.

But will the OL give Edwards enough time in the pocket for the deep throws? Will he throw it downfield?

Irresistible force to meet immovable object?

The theory and game-plans are obvious. I don't think that Pats' D is the kind you can beat with a slant and short pass offense and they are very vulnerable to the long ball.

But will the OL give Edwards enough time in the pocket for the deep throws? Will he throw it downfield?

I think that is the biggest question.. not will he throw it - but will he have the time? The Pats secondary may not be as good as everyone thinks but their DL is.

No.

First off, the OL won't give him time.

Second: he is afraid to throw with anticipation and won't take advantage of any opportunities there.

Third: our D can't stop their offense, which will cause us to throw damn near every down, further exposing Edwards by the 3rd quarter.

I dont think many of the pats starters played...

None did, but their second round pick Chung (who Pats* fans are talking up on their boards, or at least "were" talking up on their boards) looked pretty bad in coverage, getting burned for at least two of those TDs. Chung, as you may recall, was Byrd's secondary-mate at Oregon.....

No.

First off, the OL won't give him time.

Second: he is afraid to throw with anticipation and won't take advantage of any opportunities there.

Third: our D can't stop their offense, which will cause us to throw damn near every down, further exposing Edwards by the 3rd quarter.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. I actually think the OL has given him enough time, it's just he is NOT processing the coverage as fast as he needs to. Trent needs to up his game, because the offense's problems start and end with the QB's utter inability to force the ball down the field.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. I actually think the OL has given him enough time, it's just he is NOT processing the coverage as fast as he needs to. Trent needs to up his game, because the offense's problems start and end with the QB's utter inability to force the ball down the field.

Joe, no one has really blitzed us yet. Wait till the new kiddos get a load of a 3-4 full on blitz. It's not going to be pretty.

I dont think many of the pats starters played...

This was the pats starting lineup in the 3-4 defense.

The Patriots opened in a 3-4 defense with their backups:

DE: Williams

NT: Brace

DE: Richard

OLB: Woods

ILB: Lenon

ILB: Alexander

OLB: Ninkovich

CB: Rogers

CB: Love

S: Chung

S: Slater

From Don Banks today:

"New York's opening onslaught shredded the Patriots for 206 yards and three touchdowns, all in the first quarter. The completions went for 44 yards to tight end Kevin Boss, nine yards to Boss, 23 yards to Sinorice Moss for a touchdown (all from Eli Manning), 38 yards to Domenik Hixon, 12 yards to Moss for another touchdown, 16 yards to Mario Manningham, and a 64-yard dagger to the heart for another touchdown, this one by rookie Hakeem Nicks.

Backup David Carr threw the last four of those passes, for 130 yards and two scores, after Manning had finished his one series of work 3 for 3 for 76 yards. Overall, Manning and Carr completed all nine of their attempts in the game, for 229 yards and three scores. Both finished with perfect 158.3 passer ratings for the game. Has an NFL team ever had two quarterbacks finish with perfect passer ratings in the same game, when they each threw more than a pass?

I get the feeling New England's secondary might just get some extra attention from Bill Belichick in the coming week, and that's never a good thing in Foxboro."

All the off-season and pre-season hype is over. It's showtime on a grand stage. Owens, Evans, Johnson & Nelson will get open in this secondary. Will the Bills -and Edwards, specifically- go after this Pats* weakness? I also expect their LB's and safety's to cheat up to jump short routes, further exposing openings deep. I certainly expect Brady to attack deep with his weapons, and we have fine talent in our secondary.

IMO, attacking through the air is our best chance to win the opener, but it seems to go against everything we've seen since Edwards began starting. All that's required is enough time for Trent to set his feet and we've seen that the new OL can provide this. If ever there's an opportunity to step up and compete, I think the Pats* secondary provides it.

The Patriots were playing 3rd and 4th stringers, including a WR as a safety. Do you really think that their performance means anythnig positive for the Bills? How many of those guys will see the field during the season? Besides, maybe Don Banks should actually watch the games he writes about before drawing ridiculous conclusions.