Comcast cable internet -- any advice?

UB2SF

I have been a Comcast cable internet subscriber for a couple years. Recently, we did a huge remodel project, which required us to move out of our house for a few months, and now that we're back in the house, our internet service works differently than before. I've talked to Comcast on multiple occasions and they've been useless, so I thought I would reach out to the oracle of all wisdom, TSW. :ph34r:

The problem is that I am unable to use my router to connect more than one computer to the cable modem. Worse yet, I can't even successfully connect any computers except our main home computer to the cable modem. I can only access the internet if my main home computer is connected directly to the cable modem. In other configurations (other computers hooked up to the modem, or the router hooked up to the modem), there is clearly an active connection between the devices, but it won't actually connect to the internet. This wasn't a problem before the remodel -- both in our home and our temporary apartment, we were able to connect multiple computers through the router or directly to the cable modem -- but when we moved back in, this problem started. It seems that somehow the tech installed the service so that we can only connect to the internet through our main home computer hooked up directly to the cable modem.

I have tried talking to Comcast "customer service" (quotation marks heavily emphasized) on multiple occasions. They act as if they don't even understand what I'm telling them. I think it's a ploy to get me to upgrade to a different package, but the rent-a-techs on the phone can't even up-sell right -- they haven't even come right out and made the sales pitch. Moreover, my house is wired with network connections in every room and I really don't want to upgrade to new service because I feel like I shouldn't have to. It worked before, but doesn't work now!

I did a little Google research and it sounds like there might be a way to "trick" my modem into talking to the router or other computers, but that the success rate is variable and the process might have to be repeated from time to time. What a hassle.

Any advice?

Most ISPs keeps a record of the MAC address (physical hardware identification) of both the cable/dsl modem and the device connecting to the network (computer or router)

The ISP will reject IP requests from any other MAC combinations that what is in their database.

There is however a way around it :ph34r:

Try the following

On the computer that can connect:

Do a Start->Run-> and type "cmd" and hit enter

A DOS box will open

Type "ipconfig /all"

Look for "Physical Address" It will look like 00-AA-BB-11-CC-22

Next go to your router's web interface. Usually http://192.168.1.1

Somewhere in there should be an option for MAC spoof or MAC clone. Enter the MAC address of your PC there.

The router will communicate to the outside world (your ISP) using the cloned MAC address, so your ISP will think your PC is requesting the address.

Most ISPs keeps a record of the MAC address (physical hardware identification) of both the cable/dsl modem and the device connecting to the network (computer or router)

I've never heard of that. I can connect any damn device to my cable modem I want - usually just to prove my router's fine when some Comcast tech insists it's my equipment that's at fault, not theirs. As UB2SF said...Comcast's "technical support" isn't.