Terrence McGee and Bills discussing

Those darn racist Bills never extend the contracts of black players

That's funny... :wallbash:

The Bills do have a tendency to re-sign their slow footed white guys to enormous contracts. Maybe I sense an opportunity!

White: check

Slow: check

Big: check

Didn't shoot myself or get tasered: check

Didn't finance a dog fighting operation: check

Didn't beat my girlfriend for the 3rd time in 3 years: check

In the words of my idol Uncle Rico.... "you think I can throw this ball over that mountain?"

McGee is the single best player on this defense. You've gotta be a loon to look at this as bad news.

I look at it as the Bills front office just trying to determine ahead of time if they'll need to draft a CB next year in the 1st round, or if they'll be able to wait until the 2nd.

Terrence McGee is a good player but not an elite cornerback in my book and seems to be getting a bit more dinged up in games. He'll turn 29 this season. Hope they don't go crazy on the money but I imagine he'll at least get as good a contract as Jabbari Greer got in free agency this year.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/775885.html

The Bills have a history of letting their CB's walk and then draft guys to replace them. If they think TM is worth keeping then I think he's still got a lot left in the tank. He's still a top returner, IMO, and can do that if LM gets hurt. Keeping him will maintain a very deep DB corp.

Those darn racist Bills never extend the contracts of black players

:wallbash:

Where are those guys now?

So we B word about the Bills always letting our top CBs walk, but now we B word because we're trying to re-sign one of our top CBs?

Not surprising for the general attitudes here. A lot of people will never be happy.

I think McGee is quite good. If he wants 5-6 million a year for a guy who is already 29, which is highly unlikely, I would sign him up. But if he wants, 7-8 million, which is highly likely, that's a very difficult call. We will probably lose another good CB next year because someone will pay him a little more than he is worth (like Clements), and possibly Winfield (although Winfield's Viking deal looks more and more like a steal).

The problem lies with Youboty. If he plays well this year, and stays healthy, he could move into the starting line-up next year and wqe would still have Florence and Corner for the nickel and dime. I really wouldn't want to go into the season with Corner or Florence as a starter unless we see something in their play this year when the real bullets fly that warrants it. But Youboty is not a sure thing either, and he is a UFA, too, I think. He just wouldn't cost 7-8 million a year to re-sign.

Believing Youboty will stay healthy is like believing Roseanne will stick to her diet. He's played 19 games in the last three years. The guy could hurt himself brushing his teeth.

Link

The bottom line is that you can never be too rich, too good-looking or have too many cornerbacks.

This is a cool article on the CB position.

Or, more tangibly, at every wide receiver that is fast, athletic and a possessor of soft hands as well as a distinct advantage over the player charged with sticking to him like facial hair: he and the quarterback know in advance where he is going while the cornerback isn't privy to such information.

Well, he is going to require some big money whether or not he is worth it. But to win in this league, sometimes you have to pay quality players like pro-bowlers. It's just the way it is. We let him go, we are going to have to be drafter a cornerback high in the draft next year.

Instead of paying him why don't we trade him to a winning franchise like Baltimore or Philadelphia for an unproven draft pick.

Or better yet why don't we use the money saved to give Josh Reed a raise.

For the most part even those in favor of re-signing McGee are saying so with the caveat that we don't overpay.

There are compelling arguments in favor of keeping him and also in favor of letting him go. To me, it comes down to what sort of price we're talking about.

Once you start talking about the $7 million/year range (I know there's also issues such as length of contract, guaranteed money, likely and not likely to be reached incentives, etc) you're talking about some attractive free agents at other positions. The Bills have a nice stable of cornerbacks whose effectiveness is constantly compromised by a non-existent pass rush. With McKelvin, Florence, Corner, and Lankster (I think Yobouty is on very thin ice right now) and Byrd or even Whitner as a possible cornerback in a pinch, I would not overpay to keep McGee.

He seems to be getting dinged up on a more regular basis now, no longer gives benefit as a kick returner and will be 29 years old in October.

That $7 million/year could be spent on a very good player at another position. We signed TO for less than that. Jason Brown, the Pro Bowl center/guard whom we all wanted signed for about $7 million per. Chris Canty and Antonio Smith, two good pass rushing ends signed about $7 million. Pro Bowl linebacker Jonathan Vilma signed for slightly less than $7 million.

Having that much more money available in cap space this offseason would have allowed us to make trades for players such as Greg Ellis and Derrick Burgess, two proven pass rushers.

If you're talking about $5 million/year for McGee, then it makes sense to keep him probably. But I'm doubtful that $5 million per will be enough to get him to sign on the dotted line. Maybe I'm wrong.