When Arab Students Attack!

pdh1

I've studied, informally, the plague (the germ moreso than the pandemic) and Mongol military history (which includes the conquest of China and - much later - the siege of Kaffa).  In all honesty, I had to pick up a book and verify it was Genoese traders...I'd originally typed "Venetian".  The Venetians were at Kaffa (which was a Genoese trading post), but in support of the Kipchak tribes against the Genoese.

As an aside...The Black Death actually spread over the Silk Road, which at the time existed as a trade route exclusively because of the stability Mongol conquest introduced through Central Asia (and which ran straight through northern Afghanistan).  Had the Mongols never overrun Central Asia...no European-Chinese trade.  Since they did...the Black Death.  Even historically, Central Asian issues have had global impact.

112458[/snapback]

you are a sick, sick man.

you are a sick, sick man.

112598[/snapback]

Be glad I didn't go from that into the details of the global impact of the Clinton administration's complete ignorance of Central Asian issues..."We want Central Asian oil, Taliban good! No, wait...we hate birkas, Taliban bad!"

Be glad I didn't go from that into the details of the global impact of the Clinton administration's complete ignorance of Central Asian issues..."We want Central Asian oil, Taliban good!  No, wait...we hate birkas, Taliban bad!"

112899[/snapback]

BTW, din din Sunday? Or is that past your bedtime? I told Melody it's my turn to cook.

BTW, din din Sunday? Or is that past your bedtime? I told Melody it's my turn to cook.

112928[/snapback]

Been sick as a dog all week (103 fever Monday and Tuesday), it's kept me from working - and meeting a deadline. (It's still keeping me from talking - I've got terrible laryngitis. Melody's thrilled. :doh: )

So the short version is: I'm probably working. But she's the boss...you really have to ask her.

Been sick as a dog all week (103 fever Monday and Tuesday), it's kept me from working - and meeting a deadline.  (It's still keeping me from talking - I've got terrible laryngitis.  Melody's thrilled.  :doh: )

So the short version is: I'm probably working.  But she's the boss...you really have to ask her.

112933[/snapback]

"It's" been going around. Whatever it is. I had it a couple weeks ago. So, you are going to work at 8:30 Sunday night instead of watch the Buffalo-New England game.

Uh Huh.

See you at 7?

Actually, it was Genoese traders returning from Kaffa in the Crimea, which was infected from central Asian tribes (precisely, the Kipchak Khanite under the Mongols) that brought it from the Chinese frontier, where plague was and still is indigenous.

But hey, don't let historical fact get in the way of whatever your point was... 

112444[/snapback]

JennJiss Khan strikes again.

:lol::lol::D:P:D

Been sick as a dog all week (103 fever Monday and Tuesday), it's kept me from working - and meeting a deadline.  (It's still keeping me from talking - I've got terrible laryngitis.  Melody's thrilled.   :P )

So the short version is: I'm probably working.  But she's the boss...you really have to ask her.

112933[/snapback]

Now if the laryngitis could only spread to your fingers. :lol:

No if the laryngitis could only spread to your fingers.  :P

113417[/snapback]

Actually I'm home "sick" today. Had an angiogram yesterday. Arteries are all clear! Doctor said that looked great! So BiB, pass the fatty sausage, pate and foie gras. I'm loading up for the winter! Now if we can only figure out what's causing these damn palpitations. :lol: