HELP! My desktop is infected

taterhill

From the above link:

..."The final drawback of restoring your system has to do with operating system updates. Chances are when you restore your system, updates that have been released since the system was brought home will need downloaded again and reinstalled."...

I've diligently d/l'd and installed the XP Service Packs and the endless number of updates through the years.

A concern I have with a re-install, is how vulnerable my system would be, as these large files are being downloaded and before they are installed. I've done wipes and re-installs before - I download the latest versions of firewall, Browser, spyware, A/Vs etc. and install them before I get on-line.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the above link:

..."The final drawback of restoring your system has to do with operating system updates. Chances are when you restore your system, updates that have been released since the system was brought home will need downloaded again and reinstalled."...

I've diligently d/l'd and installed the XP Service Packs and the endless number of updates through the years.

A concern I have with a re-install, is how vulnerable my system would be, as these large files are being downloaded and before they are installed. I've done wipes and re-installs before - I download the latest versions of firewall, Browser, spyware, A/Vs etc. and install them before I get on-line.

The vulnerabilities aren't an issue as long as you go straight to the Windows Update site and download the XP serviec packs. This assumes, of course, that you're in a NAT'd environment (ie: plug a box into your cable modem, and then plug the PC into that box....).

Also - not sure if they still do, but Microsoft used to have a way to order a free CD with service pack 2 on it. They might have one with 3 now, not sure.

While there's already a thread about viruses, I just got a new laptop and are looking for a new virus software. Any of the computer savvy individuals have any recommendations?

My three favorites are Nod32, Avira and Avast.

Avira and Avast have excellent free versions available.

Avira doesn't have the fastest scanner, but it runs very light on the machine.

Avira is my favorite of the three.

The vulnerabilities aren't an issue as long as you go straight to the Windows Update site and download the XP serviec packs. This assumes, of course, that you're in a NAT'd environment (ie: plug a box into your cable modem, and then plug the PC into that box....).

Also - not sure if they still do, but Microsoft used to have a way to order a free CD with service pack 2 on it. They might have one with 3 now, not sure.

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 hard-wired cable/DSL router, v. 4.1 IIRC (with a Motorola SB 5101 cable modem and CAT5e cables supplied to me by T-W). The Motorola has an on/off switch - I never boot up with the modem on.

Is that Linksys the kind of "box" you are referring to? I've done no changes to it other than change from the default password. It's about 3 years old now.

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 hard-wired cable/DSL router, v. 4.1 IIRC (with a Motorola SB 5101 cable modem and CAT5e cables supplied to me by T-W). The Motorola has an on/off switch - I never boot up with the modem on.

Is that Linksys the kind of "box" you are referring to? I've done no changes to it other than change from the default password. It's about 3 years old now.

If you are connected to Microsoft's site when updating, you should be fine. Make sure your firewall is in place, and install a good AV before starting the updates.

If this is a reinstall, don't put the data back on the machine until you bring your system up to date (or at least relatively up to date).

Thanks Deaner...I will give it a try tonight....if you come to a Bills game, I will have a Wood tipped Swisher Sweet for you

:unsure: Haven't had one of those is quite a while. At least you are getting the wood tips (is it beechwood?).

If you are connected to Microsoft's site when updating, you should be fine. Make sure your firewall is in place, and install a good AV before starting the updates.

If this is a reinstall, don't put the data back on the machine until you bring your system up to date (or at least relatively up to date).

That's what I do. Appreciate the tip from you and Fez about going to MS's site for OS updates.

FWIW, I keep both the MS xp native firewall and Comodo both active. No fistfights between the two. I use Comodo in its' paranoid mode.

maybe you will have to come out to the pipe and plaid club meeting...

Pipe and Plaid

That's some funny s#it. I love pipes. I stopped smoking them on a regular basis (well for tobacco, anyway), but a pipe is a very good thing, IMO.

I'd have to procure something plaid, though.

That's some funny s#it. I love pipes. I stopped smoking them on a regular basis (well for tobacco, anyway), but a pipe is a very good thing, IMO.

I'd have to procure something plaid, though.

yeah we get together at my bros house....3rd Friday of the month...wear plaid and smoke pipes...I just found my Grandfathers stash of about 20 pipes in our garage....the wives think we are idiots, but that is pretty normal for us...

I have a brand new laptop that started crashing this morning a few minutes after I turned it on. It turns out that a Microsoft automatic update that is designed to stop crashes has caused a lot of crashes. I removed it (actually hid it) and that solved the problem after a system restore.

ugh!

spent part of last weekend cleaning out a virus from my computer. was finally able to download spybot and after several failed attempts to run it, i changed the program's name (to fool the virus) to finally get it to run. took it three run-throughs, plus two run-throughs of malwarebytes and adaware to finally get my machine up and running.

vicious, vicious, vicious.

and no, i hadn't backed up (i have now, though), but it's a lesson learned and what proved to be a much wasted (not the good kind) weekend.

jw

Or you could just download SP3 and all the updates ahead of time and silpstream them into SP3.

Depending on the XP install CD (won't work with some manufactuer OEM CDs) you could then copy the XP install CD to the hard drive and slipstream SP3 (plus all the later updates), then burn your own up to date install disc

Or you could just download SP3 and all the updates ahead of time and silpstream them into SP3.

Depending on the XP install CD (won't work with some manufactuer OEM CDs) you could then copy the XP install CD to the hard drive and slipstream SP3 (plus all the later updates), then burn your own up to date install disc

Then he would be...

http://www.last.fm/music/Van+Morrison/_/Qu...+The+Slipstream

I own an XP paid-for update cd and a Win98 OEM cd...

What's a "slipstream"? :lol:

Stop the jargon...or when you ask about a problem with your Cavalier I won't tell you how to bend up the Korean hat when you need to torque a top strut tit. Or how to adjust a hood peter, or how to remove a cat walk or deal with reticent ox-head nuts.

Stop the jargon...or when you ask about a problem with your Cavalier I won't tell you how to bend up the Korean hat when you need to torque a top strut tit. Or how to adjust a hood peter, or how to remove a cat walk or deal with reticent ox-head nuts.

Excellent point, Cincy.

I should actually do this, as I have to do multiple reinstalls. You may want to go the traditional route. But if you want to see what it entails, here you go:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/How-To--S...XP-installation

:lol:

Touché

In simple terms slipstreaming is merging the updates with the original XP build and/or service pack. So instead of applying each update individually you can apply them all at once

But that's all theoretical, since it won't work with a 98->XP upgrade. Sorry :lol:

*Edit

You can't make a new install CD with your 98->XP upgrade. But you can slipstream the post-SP3 updates into SP3. Then you can run the updated SP3 after the 98->XP upgrade

The easiest way is to use a program called nlite

http://www.nliteos.com/

Or you can do it by command line, but that's much more tedious

Guest dog14787
ugh!

spent part of last weekend cleaning out a virus from my computer. was finally able to download spybot and after several failed attempts to run it, i changed the program's name (to fool the virus) to finally get it to run. took it three run-throughs, plus two run-throughs of malwarebytes and adaware to finally get my machine up and running.

vicious, vicious, vicious.

and no, i hadn't backed up (i have now, though), but it's a lesson learned and what proved to be a much wasted (not the good kind) weekend.

jw

After using freebees like Spybot and adaware with questionable results, I installed Stopzilla on my computer a year ago and it has done a good job. It was inexpensive and has been well worth it for me, so far anyways. :lol:

I'm the last person to ask for advice about computers though, so if someone was to say Stopzilla isn't very good I'm not going to argue with them.