Interesting Schedule

Lots of talk recently about the Bills vs the 3-4. Here is an interesting stat:

All 6 division games this year are against 3-4 defenses

All 10 non-division games are against 4-3 defenses

Has any team ever made the playoffs at 10-6, yet been swept by their division?

NE* has allegedly changed to a 4-3

I haven't done the audit myself but the last several articles I've read on the subject state that 13 teams are now using the 3-4 as a base defense. For the math-challenged, that means 19 teams are still using a 4-3 as their base defense.

When it was fewer than that a few years back it was easier for the Patriots and Steelers to find players to fit their schemes. With more teams going to the 3-4 each year, there is more competition for players which fit that scheme. That was pretty clear in this year's draft.

As we all know the Patriots are evolving towards more 4-3 looks...perhaps a prelude to when the majority of teams will be using the 3-4. Perhaps at that point the Patriots will transition towards mainly a 4-3 scheme in order to acquire players with less competition for those players (who fit a 4-3). Just a thought.

I do believe the Browns and Chiefs are 3-4s. If so, 10-6 just became 8-8. Then, when you see the Saints, Panthers, Titans, Falcons, & Colts on the schedule, it's looking more like 4-12 if they steal one of those games.

The Falcons now run the 3-4 also. That's three non division teams using the 3-4. Takes us to 9 losses. Assuming we can beat the Titans, Colts, and all the other 4-3 teams on our schedule that are much better than us, we are 7-9, hell yea continuity!

The Falcons now run the 3-4 also. That's three non division teams using the 3-4. Takes us to 9 losses. Assuming we can beat the Titans, Colts, and all the other 4-3 teams on our schedule that are much better than us, we are 7-9, hell yea continuity!

I don't think they do.

Wow - great question. I remember the Bills took the AFC East in '89 with a 9-7 record but I know they won 6 games in the division ( 5 teams back then in the AFC East). So, they won just 3 games otherwise.