OT-The Postal Service

IBTG81

I am a big fan of both of Ben's bands. DCFC was a great show at Nietsche's last April.

The song Such Great Heights from the Postal Service album has become a cult classic. There had been at least two recorded covers of that song within 6 months of its release which is unheard of. (Iron & Wine's version made it into the Garden State movie.) Plus I was there when the Dismemberment Plan played a version of the song live in their last show in Buffalo which was a performance that I'll never forget it.

I don't think people realize that there is a stunning amount of great modern music being created that doesn't make it on the (crappy) radio...

I don't think people realize that there is a stunning amount of great modern music being created that doesn't make it on the (crappy) radio...

112186[/snapback]

So true. Mainstream radio is controlled by a handfull of companies that push a playlist to all of the stations that they own. You think lobbying only happens in DC? You should see what happens at large market radio stations. "Play this single, and we'll give you a live in-studio appearance, or we'll give it to the other guy up the block, and you can forget about using any of the other artists in our stable." It's pretty nauseating. College radio is where it's at. No commercials, no forced playlists, and no Bare Naked Ladies.

112186[/snapback]

It has always been that way! Being 40-ish (not quite) I am always amazed by how much the "next big thing", or the critics darling, is derivitave of something that has already been done....I like a lot of it, but as Mick Jagger once said (right around the time the Stones started sucking) "there really is nothing new under the sun!"

Guest Peabo Bryson
I am always amazed by how much the "next big thing", or the critics darling,  is derivitave of something that has already been done....

112209[/snapback]

Next big thing bands that are overrated or plain suck:

Franz Ferdinald

Modest Mouse

Killers

etc

etc

First of all the postal servie is an amazing band.

Second of all do you guys realize modest mouse as many other albums? The moon and antarica, a long drive, and lonsome crowded wests are classic, far superior then good news

Also you guys should check out Neutral Milk Hotel...lot less poppish then barenaked ladies, postal service etc. (although i love those bands). There best album is " in an aeroplane over the sea"

And for those who like barnaked ladies, postal service, etc. i HIGHLY reccomend check out ted leo and the pharmacists

Also you guys should check out Neutral Milk Hotel...lot less poppish then barenaked ladies, postal service etc.  (although i love those bands).  There best album is " in an aeroplane over the sea"

And for those who like barnaked ladies, postal service, etc. i HIGHLY reccomend check out ted leo and the pharmacists

112280[/snapback]

Allright!! ted leo and the pharmacists rock.

Regarding the PS, I dig The District Sleeps Alone Tonight.

Second of all do you guys realize modest mouse as many other albums?  The moon and antarica, a long drive, and lonsome crowded wests are classic, far superior then good news

112277[/snapback]

Yes, although I think their other albums are far less consistent (and interesting). Great guitar work, though.

Second of all do you guys realize modest mouse as many other albums?  The moon and antarica, a long drive, and lonsome crowded wests are classic, far superior then good news

112277[/snapback]

Indeed. Modest Mouse has simply been the best band I have had the pleasure to discover over the past 5 years. They bring it all together-- music, lyrics and that something extra you can't explain. That band doesn't owe me a thing.

I am sure the snide comment above was made by someone who has probably heard what, one or two songs of the eighty or so they have recorded?