Maybin at LB would be awesome !

Speedy G

from AP article - "The Bills believe he’s versatile enough to eventually play linebacker, too"

"he is number 58"

if this is the plan, then lets get him up to speed asap, I could see him being a shawn merriman type guy with the passion for the game he's showing :ph34r:

can I get an amen !

except for the fact that the first three guys on the team death (excuse me depth) chart for DE all stink

A few things to keep in mind:

Maybin is very young. Some of the other rookies on the roster are more than 2 years older than him; most of them are more than a year older. There's a good chance he'll be able to put some more weight on his frame in the upcoming offseason(s).

Since one of Maybin's strengths is his explosive first step, wouldn't it make since to line him up on the LOS most of the time?

Generally speaking, in the Bills scheme, the DEs are "undersized". Schobel is listed at 243, Kelsay 261. It's not unreasonable to think that Maybin could be at about 260 by the start of training camp 2010, and ready to fully compete for a starting job.

In today's NFL, especially on passing downs, the distinction between OLB and DE has become mostly a semantic one. It's not uncommon for a 4-3 DE to lineup in a 3 point stance and drop into coverage. He's about the same size as a 3-4 LB, and doing the exact same job. (rushing some of the time, dropping into coverage other times)

Good coordinators develop schemes to exploit the talent they have available, as opposed to trying to shoehorn the talent they have into the system they want to run. Hopefully the coaches saw enough of Maybin in the OTAs to get some ideas on what kinds of alignments and stunts they might want to design to take advantage of his skill set.