anyone remember this guy?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-training-cam...update-08-20-09

i always liked him when he was here. kept his mouth shut and worked hard. i wonder how different our LB corps would be with him still here.

Coy was a great guy, and a pretty good player. If I recall correctly, the Bills let him go mostly out of concern that he shouldn't play football anymore, based on recommendations made by the medical staff. He has some pretty scary spinal issues, and I can totally understand why we didn't retain him. I am glad for him that he has persevered, following his dreams and making good things happen.

There's only one problem... he's not any good!

He's been in the league for how long now, and people are still talking the same crap about him as when he was a rookie (he's versatle, hungry, energetic, on the cusp, ready to step up) and he hasn't done it.

He's always going to be the 3rd or 4th guy in on the tackle. He's always going to be that backup that is average.

I seen a 5 minute special they did on him on the NFL Total Access, he was ok on special teams but he even said it takes all he has not to get cut each and every year, but i believe he said he has made the cut 8yrs now, so that in it self is special.

????

I didn't realize there was a suffering.

I'm looking for some stats to back it up, not finding much either way. It could have just been my perception, but it seemed to me that we gave our opponents better starting position last year than in years past (although our ST units were still ranked #1 overall by Gosselin.)

Two lamentable features of Coy Wire's career in Buffalo.

Firstly they thought they were going to make him into the next John Lynch, the other Stanford linebacker turned safety. Lynch has had arguable a Hall of Fame career. Both he and Wire superficially had the same size and skill set.

However the Bills were wrong. Wire never adjusted well to playing in the secondary. It just wasn't in him. When he was moved back to linebacker during his last years here, he played pretty well. Basically the Bills had him playing out of position.

Secondly, there were definite medical concerns which contributed to the end of his tenure as a Bill.

Under different circumstances he might have been more than just a career backup/special teamer.

He wasn't as bad as some think, nor as good as some are now making him out to be.

He was a good (not great) ST player. He never made it as a SS and was a backup LB at best. Ellison is far better as an OLB, IMO.

Two lamentable features of Coy Wire's career in Buffalo.

Firstly they thought they were going to make him into the next John Lynch, the other Stanford linebacker turned safety. Lynch has had arguable a Hall of Fame career. Both he and Wire superficially had the same size and skill set.

However the Bills were wrong. Wire never adjusted well to playing in the secondary. It just wasn't in him. When he was moved back to linebacker during his last years here, he played pretty well. Basically the Bills had him playing out of position.

Secondly, there were definite medical concerns which contributed to the end of his tenure as a Bill.

Under different circumstances he might have been more than just a career backup/special teamer.

Excellent take, SJ.

How far we've come. When I first moved back to upstate New York in 2003, I used to shop at a Tops in my town. I remember seeing a Tops promotion for bobblehead dolls on the same poster:

Travis Henry

Drew Bledsoe

Coy Wire

Tops is now replaced by Hannaford's

Bledsoe is a bazillionaire with bad knees

Henry's in jail

Wire's.....honestly, I didn't read the link. Last I heard, he was in Atlanta.

I'm still on this board.

No, I didn't get any of the goddamn bobblehead dolls.

"Destination Moon" - Dinah Washington