Democratic Party

BillsNYC

If you were running the Democratic Party right now, what would you do over the next 4 years to regain strength?

I would would first of all count my losses and move on, basically telling democrats to shut up about the election. By making comments like, "Bush supporters are dumb and need to be educated" you are alienating over 50% of the country and only digging yourself into a deeper hole. State that the election was fairly won and its time to look to the future.

Next, over the next 4 years I would distance myself from the extreme liberals. Michael Moore should NOT be seated next to a man like Jimmy Carter in the spotlight. George Soros, PETA, and all these other 'hippie' groups should not represent the democratic party ever again like this year. As of now, this is a 2 party country so those people will vote Democratic even if they aren't in the spotlight.

Also, I would re-focus the party and bring it more to the right, back to where it was before the Kerry Campaign. By taking a far left stance, you alienate most Americans and further divide voters. Plus, there was too wide a spectrum of views. Voting for Kerry you had no idea where he stood on any issue because they were trying to please too many people at once.

Start acting like the party of the people again. Hollywood stars do NOT represent the people. Michael Moore makes movies and is NOT a representative of the people as much as he likes to think he is.

George W Bush has natural leadership skills. He's the guy that you meet and you immedialty want to follow him. Intelligence does not dictate leadership, nor do debating skills. He stands for something and fights to get it. Kerry did not have that persona about him. He was more like that smart kid who tries to please everybody that you like to put kick me signs on. The democrats need a candidate with true leadership qualities that has strong views that he will act on and has the history to back it up. None of the discussed candidates have that as I've seen.

Finally, the bashing needs to stop. The democrats have become a bitter party, and bitterness turns people away. Instead of attacking, offer positive solutions. And I mean REAL solutions, not baseless suggestions as Kerry did.

In conclusion the party needs to avoid the far left, return to representing the average citizen, lose the bitterness, and become positive do-ers.

Good work on those talking points, I've got a few follow up questions:

-In what ways did you feel the party "move to the left" in this campaign?

-How would you compare the negativity of the Bush campaign to the negativity of the Kerry campaign?

-How do Michael Moore and George Soros differ from Jerry Falwell and Grover Norquist?

I agree with the argument that the party currently lacks an overall theme. I think there are a few identities that the Dems will attempt to develop over the next 2 years (pre-mid terms.)

-The party of the balanced budget (wow what a difference 20 years makes)

-The party of Health Care reform

-The party of personal liberties (this is how they MUST frame the civil unions debate)

-The party against outsourcing of jobs (I wish they had better driven that home)

-The party of the higher minimum wage

-The party of Affirmative Action

They moved to the left by putting Michael Moore in the spotlight, especially when he was seated next to Jimmy Carter at the Democratic Convention. They moved to the left during the fund-raiser in NYC when all the stars came out and bashed Bush and instead of denouncing them, Kerry got up and said they represent America. I think those two occasions were major nails in the coffin for Kerry in this race.

Yes, the Bush campain may have been just as negative, but they didn't have the media backing them like Kerry did. The news was filled with Anti-Bush stories the last year and was much easier on Kerry. I live in NYC so I didn't see much of the Bush negativity, so I may be a little biased.

Jerry Falwell was not placed in the media spotlight like George Soros and Michael Moore were, so he wasn't as big of a factor. To prove my point, I don't even know who Grover Norquist is? But I can sure tell you all about Michael Moore since the media and democrats put the spotlight on him.

Next, over the next 4 years I would distance myself from the extreme liberals. Michael Moore should NOT be seated next to a man like Jimmy Carter in the spotlight. George Soros, PETA, and all these other 'hippie' groups should not represent the democratic party ever again like this year. As of now, this is a 2 party country so those people will vote Democratic even if they aren't in the spotlight.

111380[/snapback]

I think that is the biggest key. The left embraces their extreme nuts more than the right does.

I saw an Indiana senator (D) last night who sounds like he'd be a good candidate next time around. Hilarious interview - he kept dodging '08 election questions and O'Reilly kept firing back: "so do you think you can beat Hillary?"

I would let the Republicans do anything and everything they want for two full years. Don't stop a thing. Then, when they run the country and economy and world opinion and health care and education and deficit and other such things into the ground, it will be easy pickens starting in 2006 elections. IF, what they do does turn out to be right, hey, it will be great for all of us and most everything will be for the better.

But I doubt it. :)

I would let the Republicans do anything and everything they want for two full years. Don't stop a thing. Then, when they run the country and economy and world opinion and health care and education and deficit and other such things into the ground, it will be easy pickens starting in 2006 elections. IF, what they do does turn out to be right, hey, it will be great for all of us and most everything will be for the better.

But I doubt it.  :)

111549[/snapback]

he he he he he ...silly little boy. :(