Buff News Article on Kyle Williams

jahbonas

Reading Allen Wilson's article today on Kyle Williams...so incredibly basic and rah rah...the News must do

better if it wishes to compete with the Internet:

Allen Wilson how do you not provide the following in Kyle Williams article?

What did Kyle weigh when he was a rookie....how much did he lift?

Now 4 years later...what is his actual weight and now how much more does he lift?

How much does improved strength and conditioning contribute to what he can do now that he couldnt as a rookie?

Wilson has access to Williams...these are easy/basic and informative questions to ask.....

Same questions should be asked of other young players like a Gregg Ellis...who often must gain strength to compete in the NFL....often takes few years of building up....

Reading Allen Wilson's article today on Kyle Williams...so incredibly basic and rah rah...the News must do

Now 4 years later...what is his actual weight and now how much more does he lift?

How much does improved strength and conditioning contribute to what he can do now that he couldnt as a rookie?

Wilson has access to Williams...these are easy/basic and informative questions to ask.....

Same questions should be asked of other young players like a Gregg Ellis...who often must gain strength to compete in the NFL....often takes few years of building up....

That would actually take effort....

From the cutline of the accompanying photo: "Kyle Williams, who is 6-foot-1, 306 pounds, proves that size isn't everything in the NFL." That takes care of the current weight. And to be completely honest, I care more about how he plays than how much he benches. Unless we'd like to see Leif Larsen make a comeback?

He wrote a 524-word feature, not an in-depth bio. Perhaps the story was slotted for 15", and no more?

From the cutline of the accompanying photo: "Kyle Williams, who is 6-foot-1, 306 pounds, proves that size isn't everything in the NFL." That takes care of the current weight. And to be completely honest, I care more about how he plays than how much he benches. Unless we'd like to see Leif Larsen make a comeback?

He wrote a 524-word feature, not an in-depth bio. Perhaps the story was slotted for 15", and no more?

Wasn't he another one of those "lunchpail" guys? <_<

Wasn't he another one of those "lunchpail" guys? <_<

Workout warrior -- our Viking hero set a bench-press record at the combine. Too bad that didn't translate to football skills. Believe he's now boxing in Europe ...

You want the article to be something it has no intention of being. Most of what you mention is of little interest to the average fan, and fairly meaningless compared to how a guy actually plays.

Nevertheless, I agree with the original poster. A story can be short and incisive. I see some extremely well-researched posts on this board from time to time. I know I've spent considerable time researching my own posts here. Then I read some of these articles which appear in the mainstream media and I just have to shake my head (sadly).

When I was a member of the media I remember some very hard working people and also some who were just taking up space. Allen Wilson is the latter IMO. He's been covering the Bills/NFL for at least ten years, yet he never seems to break any stories or have any sources. He's supposed to be networking and developing contacts within the NFL. He gives zero insight in his reporting.

How about a comment from a scout or personnel man from another team commenting on Kyle Williams? A comment from Les Miles?

How about a question like this:

"Kyle, you were part of a national championship team at LSU so you have some idea as to what it takes to win all the marbles. In your opinion what are the essential components to a championship team?"

"Kyle, having been in this league for a few years, who are the toughest offensive linemen you have faced and why?"

"Kyle, speak to us about coaching styles and the qualities you think a great coach needs to succeed."

"Kyle contrast the differences in the three defensive line coaches you've had since you've been with the Buffalo Bills."

I'll stop now. Sorry Allen. Step up your game.

Larsen seemed to have decent attributes and abilities but football-wise he was too raw for our staff. They were not able to make use of him properly nor could they help him become a conventional player. Several times he would make outstanding plays but then on regular plays he was not very consistant.

You want the article to be something it has no intention of being. Most of what you mention is of little interest to the average fan, and fairly meaningless compared to how a guy actually plays.

Actually choosing to write an article about Kyle Williams is of little or NO interest to the average fan.

Its called constructive criticism - even a brief article can have good insidght and meaning - otherwise why even write it?

Weight and strength is very big question - what seperates NFL players from non-NFL is speed/quickness....however most as rookies dont have the weight and strength to go along with it....sometimes its incredibly key for a player to move from backup to quality starter. Bruce Smith 's career was not impacted on his improved strength/workouts?

Wislons article stated he is now 306....the reader is to guess/assume that he has always been 306? or is he still306 but a stronger 306? Look at Levitre this year...he likely will struggle some due to him not quite havig NFL strength/conditioning yet....its a huge aspect to the game for lineman on both sides of the ball.....Maybin's weight strength is not relevant?