Why is Derek Schouman starting TE

NY Nole

IMO this guy should be a camp cut this year. After watching the tape of last week's games, he was responsible for the pressure on the left side (Walker actually had a solid game at LT) and I saw nothing tonight that makes me think he can throw a block. I would rather have a TE trio of Fine, Nelson and Stupar.

To me we have the same situation with Shoeman and Fine like we do with Kelsay and Denny.....they are just too much alike.....

I think Shoeman is going to be a cut....my reasons

- Has not been able to stay healthy for a season....not one

- Fine is the better blocker and a excellent special teams player

- Stupar is the better blocker, is making plays in pre season, and plays special teams

- Nelson is going to be the receiving TE and quickly.....just too talented

cant keep everybody......

Yeah, the tight end situation just got interesting. J. Stupar really opened eyes with his play, while the Dereks were basically screwing up and showing their lack of talent. Nelson's TD shows why he will make the team as a red zone weapon. Seems like either Derek 1 or Derek 2 will be one Derek too many at the end of camp. Anyway, we should definitely insert Stupar a few timers with the first team offense and see what happens, He looks big enough to block and is a great release option for Trent.

Funny also to see McIntyre excell carrying the ball late inthe game, meaning it would be wrong to replace him with a Derek.

No reason...other than I think it might be similar to what they are doing with Ko Simpson. As I said in that thread, they tend to give the guys on the bubble a lot of playing time to see what's what.

Stupar got his long look last night...and I think he belongs on the the team. The main reason is: he is faster, or at least he looks a lot/plays faster, than both Schouman and Fine. One play in particular he had the safety beat and was wide open. He did that with pure speed more than anything else. The QB messed up, otherwise that was a TD. You want a TE that can stretch the field...for a number of reasons.

Personally, I think Fine has shown a lot, especially last season. And, there's little doubt that Nelson is going to be on this team. Take that, and assume that they are going to keep 7 WRs, and one of the 4 TE's has to go, possibly even 2 of them.

I think the big thing is: can Nelson/Stupar play special teams? If they both can, then I wouldn't be surprised at all if Schouman got the boot. I'd be very pleased with Fine/Stupar/Nelson as our TEs. That represents a significant upgrade from Royal/Schouman/Fine.

No reason...other than I think it might be similar to what they are doing with Ko Simpson. As I said in that thread, they tend to give the guys on the bubble a lot of playing time to see what's what.

Stupar got his long look last night...and I think he belongs on the the team. The main reason is: he is faster, or at least he looks a lot/plays faster, than both Schouman and Fine. One play in particular he had the safety beat and was wide open. He did that with pure speed more than anything else. The QB messed up, otherwise that was a TD. You want a TE that can stretch the field...for a number of reasons.

Personally, I think Fine has shown a lot, especially last season. And, there's little doubt that Nelson is going to be on this team. Take that, and assume that they are going to keep 7 WRs, and one of the 4 TE's has to go, possibly even 2 of them.

I think the big thing is: can Nelson/Stupar play special teams? If they both can, then I wouldn't be surprised at all if Schouman got the boot. I'd be very pleased with Fine/Stupar/Nelson as our TEs. That represents a significant upgrade from Royal/Schouman/Fine.

I was thinking the samething. I think he and "The Millionaire" are both gone come cut down day.