Another interesting read

HopsGuy

Reading that, besides seeing the words Red and Blue scattered here and there, it's pretty tough to tell the difference if they're talking about small towns in Missouri or Maine, Wyoming or New Hampshire, Louisiana or Connecticut (OK, besides Fairfield and Litchfield counties...). If not for the tree types and the accents, you probably wouldn't be able to tell where you are.

Read all you want about how the South and most of the West is moral, rural pragmatism and the Northeast and Pacific states are immoral, elitist and urban. Saying that things are so different isn't really true. In the last two elections, people in the blue states voted a few percentage points higher for the Democratic candidate; people in the red states voted a few percentage points higher for the Republican candidate. Fact remains that there are hard-working, down-to-earth people everywhere. Their values may be slightly different, but not by much, and each has the same objective just different ways of getting there. That's what makes this country great. Cultural divide? I just don't see it.

Reading that, besides seeing the words Red and Blue scattered here and there, it's pretty tough to tell the difference if they're talking about small towns in Missouri or Maine, Wyoming or New Hampshire, Louisiana or Connecticut (OK, besides Fairfield and Litchfield counties...). If not for the tree types and the accents, you probably wouldn't be able to tell where you are.

Read all you want about how the South and most of the West is moral, rural pragmatism and the Northeast and Pacific states are immoral, elitist and urban. Saying that things are so different isn't really true. In the last two elections, people in the blue states voted a few percentage points higher for the Democratic candidate; people in the red states voted a few percentage points higher for the Republican candidate. Fact remains that there are hard-working, down-to-earth people everywhere. Their values may be slightly different, but not by much, and each has the same objective just different ways of getting there. That's what makes this country great. Cultural divide? I just don't see it.

110558[/snapback]

That type of reasonable thinking has no place in politics. You have to motivate and mobilize the troops by making demons of those who vote for the other guy. It has to be an epic battle between the forces of good and evil to attract the attention of the marginally interested voters. Whoever does the best job of freaking out their side wins.

110558[/snapback]

You make some good points.

However, when you look at the county map, a lot of the blue states are actually red in the majority of the state. All of PA is red outside of Philly and Pittsburgh (a/k/a Alabama). So, I don't think it's a terrible generalization to say that non-urbaners vote conservative. Of course there are exceptions, just like blacks who vote republican and military who vote democrat.

You make some good points. 

However, when you look at the county map, a lot of the blue states are actually red in the majority of the state.  All of PA is red outside of Philly and Pittsburgh (a/k/a Alabama).  So, I don't think it's a terrible generalization to say that non-urbaners vote conservative.  Of course there are exceptions, just like blacks who vote republican and military who vote democrat.

110632[/snapback]

Actually, this is an interesting site I found when looking for county-by-county results. We're a lot more purple than a lot of people think.... even in the heartland. Those were the most telling.

It's hard to peg down any group right now. Much more to do w/ individual thought than voting blocs.

2004 Election Maps

Actually, this is an interesting site I found when looking for county-by-county results. We're a lot more purple than a lot of people think.... even in the heartland. Those were the most telling.

It's hard to peg down any group right now. Much more to do w/ individual thought than voting blocs.

2004 Election Maps

110662[/snapback]

that's a great web-site