How do you cope with Bills loses?

The all too frequent loses drive me nuts, and nearly ruin my Sundays. I've got a dry wall hanger on retainer. Unfortunately, the majority of my walls are exposed masonry.

I cannot listen to the audio portion of telecasts, because the announcers seem to deliberately rub salt into the wounds. I cannot watch on DVR, because somehow I need to suffer in real time.

Ultimately, my redoubt is an Everclear and aviation fuel "martini"...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The all too frequent loses drive me nuts, and nearly ruin my Sundays. I've got a dry wall hanger on retainer. Unfortunately, the majority of my walls are exposed masonry.

I cannot listen to the audio portion of telecasts, because the announcers seem to deliberately rub salt into the wounds. I cannot watch on DVR, because somehow I need to suffer in real time.

I don't. If the Bills win I have a great week. If the Bills lose my week is rather melancholy until I get excited for the upcoming week on Wed.

I am quite aware how sad this is...

I've got a permanent chip on my shoulder dating back to the formation of the American Football League. In graduate school, I took all kinds of crap from colleagues who were fans of the old, established NFL teams. The Joe Namath Super Bowl and the Chiefs slaughter of Joe Kapp's Vikings were extremely therapeutic. The Giants/Redskins/ Cowboys (X2) debacles knocked me back to square one. Since then, it seems like the Bills have been their own worst enemies.

I don't. If the Bills win I have a great week. If the Bills lose my week is rather melancholy until I get excited for the upcoming week on Wed.

It was very exciting until about week 9 last year when I thought there was a chance.

When the Bills are well and truly out of it I actually tend to not watch much football for the balance of that season.

Watched a repeat of the last super bowl today though, pretty good game.

After watching too many people get way too upset after the SB losses I decided long ago that being a passionate fan was only one aspect of my life. It is not worth being upset or upsetting those around you. Do I want the Bills to win - absolutely - do I let a loss overshadow all else that are blessings in my life absolutely not. At the end of the day it is only a game.

Personally, the Bills mean more to me as a symbol of WNY. In a money crazed league (was talking to a guy at work yesterday - bears fan - about this) the Bills are one of the few teams that hang on to traditions that matter:

Passionate fans

Ticket prices that allow a family of four to have a shot at attending games

Tailgating

After watching too many people get way too upset after the SB losses I decided long ago that being a passionate fan was only one aspect of my life. It is not worth being upset or upsetting those around you. Do I want the Bills to win - absolutely - do I let a loss overshadow all else that are blessings in my life absolutely not. At the end of the day it is only a game.

I envy your ability to remain rational. I know it is absolutely the correct response. I guess I'm just too hot blooded.

This is a good start to a post and I am interested in what others have to say about this. I have gotten used to the fact the we have usually lost more than we have won over the past few years. Sometimes it hurts more than others but I guess you just find something else to occupy your mind. Now in the years in the 1990's and early 2000's when we were good or very competitive, it was much harder and I really couldn't stop thinking about a couple of those losses for weeks after the season.

I could not have said it better myself. My frustration on gameday while its actually going down cannot be hidden. Screaming loudly, drinking heavily, wanting to kill Jauron...Usually by Monday morning, I start looking at the positives from an optimistic point of view. A lot of "if we only did this," or "if this would have happened." By Wednesday, like you, I'm focused on what we need to do the following week, and I start getting excited.

I just hope we're alive for the wild card (although the Bills' fan in me tells me we're going 14-2) so every game this upcoming season allows me to get excited. There is nothing worse than being mathematically eliminated...especially being a Bills fan in Chicago, the ribbing never ends....

It was very exciting until about week 9 last year when I thought there was a chance.

When the Bills are well and truly out of it I actually tend to not watch much football for the balance of that season.

Watched a repeat of the last super bowl today though, pretty good game.

The Bills could be 0-15 and Lord help me I would still have to suffer through each game, Radio pregame show and all....

Its an illness.

Great post topic.

I remain melancholy longer than the players do, which therefore can't be a true measure of my love for the Bills.

Mental health is being able to step outside of current reactive emotions, put it in context, and move on.

Great post topic.

I remain melancholy longer than the players do, which therefore can't be a true measure of my love for the Bills.

Mental health is being able to step outside of current reactive emotions, put it in context, and move on.

Haha GREAT post. Unfortunately, I lack this ability also..

The Bills could be 0-15 and Lord help me I would still have to suffer through each game, Radio pregame show and all....

Its an illness.

Yep, it is a sickness, I think I should see a shrink. Girlfriend says I'm not myself until Thursday after a loss. Once I see DJ's inspiring press conference I get over it and ready for the next game.

Last years first half of the season tease hasn't helped. I have to admit that for the first time in a few years I was starting to billieve again. Only to snapped back to reality by seasons end. I see real good reasons to be optomistic this year but have a hard time allowing myself to go there. I have been a diehard fan since 1968.

I too cannot stand most of the broadcasters doing the Bills gams. Even if the Bills win or are winning they seem to find exuces for the opposing team......I would love the recipe for that martini.

They don't usually bother me anymore, since I go into every week being the most pessimistic son-of-a ... you've ever seen. Can't say I ever expect much. Although I have slapped a number of couch seats due to coaching stupidity, missed tackles, failed third-down stops, dropped passes, shanked field goal attempts and quarterback fumbles.

...especially being a Bills fan in Chicago, the ribbing never ends....

Man, I can totally relate to that. Try being a diehard Bills fan living in south Florida surrounded by Fins fans. I can get pretty brutal.

I used to really be bothered. I would like to think that I have grow, and progressed to a more mature state, with a better ability to grasp what is and is not imoprtant in life. It is probably more realistic to believe that the past 10 years have just numbed me, and I kinda expect the Bills to fall short. Lowered expectations have helped me cope.

I don't think I'd be into fantasy football nearly as much if the Bills didn't consistently suck the last 10 years. It's a crucial back-up plan that I have some control over.

If that doesn't work either, there's always alcohol.

I can agree with this statement 100%. It's a great way to try and rebound for a tough, and sometimes disheartening loss.

I am usually miserable after a Bills loss because it's Sunday and I know all too well whats coming afterwards. As mentioned by one fan, I try to avoid press conferences, replays and Sunday Night shows that review the days games. It just makes me feel even worse. Plus I usually have an enormous amount of work to do that was put off all week and weekend. So Bills losses arent a good way for me to start my night. I'm usually over them on a Tuesday, at latest a Wednesday, mainly because it's only a game and I have started to come to the realization that I may slowly end up dying a lot sooner if I don't.

....I would love the recipe for that martini.

First take the following precautions:

Remove anything that might produce a spark.

Remove all oxidizing agents from at least a twenty foot radius.

Slowly drink at least 500 mls of olive oil, and gargle it on the way down to produce a protective coating over the mucosa.

Wear swimmers goggles, and assure tight fit.

Write a note to loved ones (optional).

The recipe: Measure out from between 250 - 500 mls of Everclear, depending on the extent of the loss. Slowly add between 2-3 drops of aviation fuel, depending on personal taste. Swirl very gently.

That's it, except sit down on the floor before drinking. [i have handles bolted to the floor, so that I don't spin off].