Marshawn to serve all 3 games of suspension

It's not just my opinon. It's the opinion of our lawmakers and the buying public.

Ah, the "opinion...of the buying public" pretty much nails the level of thought this took on Goodell's part. Because the "lawmakers" deemed that Lynch deserved a traffic ticket for his "hit and run" and a misdemeanor for the illegal gun.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, the "opinion...of the buying public" pretty much nails the level of thought this took on Goodell's part. Because the "lawmakers" deemed that Lynch deserved a traffic ticket for his "hit and run" and a misdemeanor for the illegal gun.

I'd say the buying public should be his biggest concern. No?

Marshall probably did not lie to Goodell's face after his first traffic incident

and to follow it up with a weapons charge

it's not too smart to piss off your judge and jury -

but Lynch isn't the sharpest thug in town

Yes because unlike Lynch the rest of the thugs in the NFL are nice (and smart) and their multiple offenses are somehow different than his :P

Seriously?

So all Goodell's talk of "personal conduct" is just a load of horse sh--, eh? Since he's ultimately pandering to lawmakers, the buying public, and the player's union, right?

Yes, lawmakers make laws and breaking the law is not in the NFLs best interest. The buying public is the reason the NFL even exists and is the most important influence on players and owners alike. The players union represents the players and has alot to do with what the commish can and can't do. The personal conduct policy gives Goodell the ability to punish players on actions detrimental to the league's best interest, even if it isn't a convicted offense. What don't you get?

Yes, lawmakers make laws and breaking the law is not in the NFLs best interest. The buying public is the reason the NFL even exists and is the most important influence on players and owners alike. The players union represents the players and has alot to do with what the commish can and can't do. The personal conduct policy gives Goodell the ability to punish players on actions detrimental to the league's best interest, even if it isn't a convicted offense. What don't you get?

I don't understand lame excuses for Goodell's inconsistent actions. Obviously you do.

I don't understand lame excuses for Goodell's inconsistent actions. Obviously you do.

I did the best I could explaining it to you. Watch what happens to Plaxico, and you will see how mistakes with guns are dealt with. The list of players who have roughed up a woman is quite long, with many unpunished players. Domestic abuse is a nasty he said she said scenario. It is also something that all cultures deal with. The bottom line is that unlicensed handguns and shootouts scare the shiit out of white America. Regardless of where you stand on the issue, this fact has major implications on the leagues success.

I did the best I could explaining it to you. Watch what happens to Plaxico, and you will see how mistakes with guns are dealt with. The list of players who have roughed up a woman is quite long, with many unpunished players. Domestic abuse is a nasty he said she said scenario. It is also something that all cultures deal with. The bottom line is that unlicensed handguns and shootouts scare the shiit out of white America. Regardless of where you stand on the issue, this fact has major implications on the leagues success.

And when exactly, did this become a racial issue in your mind?

You deny any possibility of racial profiling in the arrest, but you yank out the race card when it comes to the suspension.

Which is it?

So wait, black people don't get scared during shootouts?? :P

You deny any possibility of racial profiling in the arrest, but you yank out the race card when it comes to the suspension.

Which is it?

Apparently, it's whichever is convenient. "Whitey" is afraid of guns, so any incident involving a gun, no matter how trivial, needs to be punished by Goodell, otherwise the "thug" will never get the message. And it's worked SO well so far.

Oh and PTP, Plaxico took his gun out to a nightclub and shot himself in the leg while Marshawn had a gun locked in a box in the trunk of his car. But otherwise both cases are totally the same. What do you figure Burress will get for a suspension, once he does his time? What do you think Pierce will get for trying to dispose of the gun? What should they get, based on what Joe Q. Public football-watcher thinks?

Which is it?

IMO a large percentage of white citizens have a fairly severe reaction when they hear about black athletes carrying illegal firearms. Whether or not you want to buy it or not is up to you. I have witnessed the reaction from many fans. Whether you think its justified or not is up to you. I have no reason to believe the cop was racial profiling, so I refrain from that opinion. What does one case have to do with the other?

Apparently, it's whichever is convenient. "Whitey" is afraid of guns, so any incident involving a gun, no matter how trivial, needs to be punished by Goodell, otherwise the "thug" will never get the message. And it's worked SO well so far.

Oh and PTP, Plaxico took his gun out to a nightclub and shot himself in the leg while Marshawn had a gun locked in a box in the trunk of his car. But otherwise both cases are totally the same. What do you figure Burress will get for a suspension, once he does his time? What do you think Pierce will get for trying to dispose of the gun? What should they get, based on what Joe Q. Public football-watcher thinks?

Why is Whitey in quotation marks? I think Burress will recieve a suspension similar to Vicks. Plaxico is going to jail and the commish will take that into account, similar to the Vick case. Joe Q. Public football watcher has everything to do with what Goodell does. You still don't get it.

Why is Whitey in quotation marks? I think Burress will recieve a suspension similar to Vicks. Plaxico is going to jail and the commish will take that into account, similar to the Vick case. Joe Q. Public football watcher has everything to do with what Goodell does. You still don't get it.

Funny how the league grew to dominance without the pathetically failing "personal conduct policy" and all those successful "sit downs."

IMO a large percentage of white citizens have a fairly severe reaction when they hear about black athletes carrying illegal firearms. Whether or not you want to buy it or not is up to you. I have witnessed the reaction from many fans. Whether you think its justified or not is up to you. I have no reason to believe the cop was racial profiling, so I refrain from that opinion. What does one case have to do with the other?

So is it correct to say that in your mind the race card is appropriate in certain instances, such as when determining the appropriate punishment for a black athlete who's actions might have scared some white people?

And is it also correct to say that in your mind the race card is not appropriate when trying to determine whether or not that athlete should ever have been approached, searched, and apprehended in the first place?

So is it correct to say that in your mind the race card is appropriate in certain instances, such as when determining the appropriate punishment for a black athlete who's actions might have scared some white people?

And is it also correct to say that in your mind the race card is not appropriate when trying to determine whether or not that athlete should ever have been approached, searched, and apprehended in the first place?

No it is not appropriate to punish athletes differently, according to race. I believe Goodell would punish a white player in the same fashion. Racial profiling is a real problem. I don't see any reason to believe it was present in this case however. I could be wrong though, I wasn't there. I think a white guy would have had his car searched if it didn't have plates on it.

Has it changed? Sure, 9/11 changed everything. Has the world become more violent or have race relations changed in the past decade or more? Not really.

I think the country is very different. I like to think race relations are better now but I'm not so sure. In terms of crime and violence? Unfortunately it is worse now. Over the past decade? Not much. Over the history of the NFL like you said. Yes

No it is not appropriate to punish athletes differently, according to race. I believe Goodell would punish a white player in the same fashion. Racial profiling is a real problem. I don't see any reason to believe it was present in this case however. I could be wrong though, I wasn't there. I think a white guy would have had his car searched if it didn't have plates on it.

I never saw the no plates thing before, the stories I remember didn't mention that part, but I just googled it and you sir, are correct!

Still no excuse for that scarin' white folks stuff...

I never saw the no plates thing before, the stories I remember didn't mention that part, but I just googled it and you sir, are correct!

Still no excuse for that scarin' white folks stuff...

I'm not trying to play the race card. I just think that white folks and black folks can sometimes view things from different perspectives. I'm not advocating one side or the other. Do you see any difference in the way Rothlisburger and Kobe Bryant have been treated? Do you see any difference in the way Vick is viewed at times? Unfortunately, it's always present in some form or another.

I don't like to pinpoint individuals without solid evidence though, as in the case of the cop. I could be wrong but I think the NFL is very aware of how each event effects it's image. The NBA is a great example of this, IMO. The NBA is really coming on strong in cleaning up its image.

Guest dog14787
I think the country is very different. I like to think race relations are better now but I'm not so sure. In terms of crime and violence? Unfortunately it is worse now. Over the past decade? Not much. Over the history of the NFL like you said. Yes

Push are you making us white folk look like chickens, come on, geeesh :P

Push you making us white folk look like chickens, come on, geeesh :P

Come on, chickens? I think it's sad that anybody has to feel the need to carry a gun. Whether it's for fear or credibility it's just plain sad. It should be punished accordingly without any regards to race. (unlicensed)

I never said the history of the NFL. The NFL's dominance to which I was referring has come within the past 2 decades, which well-predated the "personal conduct policy."

Guest dog14787
Come on, chickens? I think it's sad that anybody has to feel the need to carry a gun. Whether it's for fear or credibility it's just plain sad. It should be punished accordingly without any regards to race. (unlicensed)

I'm just teasing you buddy, are we about ready for some football. :P

I'm not trying to play the race card. I just think that white folks and black folks can sometimes view things from different perspectives. I'm not advocating one side or the other. Do you see any difference in the way Rothlisburger and Kobe Bryant have been treated? Do you see any difference in the way Vick is viewed at times? Unfortunately, it's always present in some form or another.

I don't like to pinpoint individuals without solid evidence though, as in the case of the cop. I could be wrong but I think the NFL is very aware of how each event effects it's image. The NBA is a great example of this, IMO. The NBA is really coming on strong in cleaning up its image.

Sorry, Push, but I've spent far too many hours sitting in courtrooms with young sailors and marines who's only real crime was driving a car that was more expensive than someone with a badge thought they should own.

TMCM (SS/SW) USN, Ret.

Sorry, Push, but I've spent far too many hours sitting in courtrooms with young sailors and marines who's only real crime was driving a car that was more expensive than someone with a badge thought they should own.

TMCM (SS/SW) USN, Ret.

Semper Fi! I hope you won more than you lost. :P

Violent is actually way down from the 1980s and especially the early 1990s.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/weekinre...view&st=cse

How does race apply here? The dude apparently ran into a pedestrian...but could have spent some of his money to be chauffeured around.

What, he can't hire somebody to watch his back while out on the town? Sounds like everything he got was because he was not thinking and just maybe his problems were self-inflicted?!?

I hope he learns and comes back strong for game 4!

I'm just teasing you buddy, are we about ready for some football. ;)

Guns should be illegal. Full stop. If you are going to have liquor, you can't have guns.

It is absolutely retarded that guns are legal when over 500 people, kmoe than one per day, is killed by them in several CITIES in the USA.

Glad I dont live there; where I stay, you have a gun, you go to jail for ten years. And when there is a SINGLE murder, it is front page news.

Humans are violent by inclination; no need to encourage them by giving them the tools to carry out their violence, and the fuel (liquor and crack) to push it up.

the NRA is a retard organization of NASCAR fans; except for a narrow exception for hunting rifles to be used by actual hunters, guns should be restricted to the police.

That said, guns ARE legal in teh USa, Marshawn had one only in his trunk, he did not blast anyone or even himself, 3 games seems like a lot.

Guns should be illegal. Full stop. If you are going to have liquor, you can't have guns.

It is absolutely retarded that guns are legal when over 500 people, kmoe than one per day, is killed by them in several CITIES in the USA.

Glad I dont live there; where I stay, you have a gun, you go to jail for ten years. And when there is a SINGLE murder, it is front page news.

Humans are violent by inclination; no need to encourage them by giving them the tools to carry out their violence, and the fuel (liquor and crack) to push it up.

the NRA is a retard organization of NASCAR fans; except for a narrow exception for hunting rifles to be used by actual hunters, guns should be restricted to the police.

That said, guns ARE legal in teh USa, Marshawn had one only in his trunk, he did not blast anyone or even himself, 3 games seems like a lot.

Couldn't agree more with the bolded part. Everything else is laughable. I'm sure it is pointless to debate this with such a rational person, so I'll save myself some time.