TSN's Top 50 coaches - Marv Levy on Panel!

Well, if women's college basketball coaches are going to make this list - then hells bells - Dan Gable, coach of the University of Iowa wrestling team absolutely deserves to be mentioned...

Gable became head wrestling coach at the University of Iowa in 1976. He formed a dynasty matched by few. From 1978 to 1986, the Hawkeyes won the NCAA title each year, a record nine in succession. He continued to coach the team until a sabbatical after the 1997 season. His record in dual meets was 355-21-5 which included 15 NCAA titles and 21 straight Big Ten titles.

In 1997, the Hawkeyes were expected to lose to the favored Oklahoma State Cowboys. But Gable, who was by this time coaching on crutches after hip replacement surgery, led his team to its 17th NCAA team title and to an unprecedented NCAA-record 170 points.

In addition to his leadership at the college level, Gable was head coach of the United States Olympic team in freestyle wrestling in 1980, 1984, and 2000. Currently, he is an assistant athletic director at the University of Iowa.

Gable's successor at Iowa, Jim Zalesky, won three NCAA titles under him. It was announced on April 14, 2006 that Gable would be rejoining the coaching staff at Iowa as top assistant coach to current coach and former Gable national champion Tom Brands.[4]

Gable remains involved with the team, but stepped down from his assistant coach role in October, 2007.

I don't know much about most of those listed. But I'd have to say Marv should be in the list somewhere.

50 Greatest Coaches of All Time

He's also the Kevin Bacon of NFL Coaching!

-------

Off topic... I like the wikipedia comment "Outspoken pundit Chuck Dickerson worked under Levy for several years in Buffalo before being fired." ...the sentence just kind of hangs there, looking out of place. Probably put in by Chuck himself.

I was watching Mike and Mike in the Morning yesterday and they were talking about this list. I sent in a question regarding some coaches I thought should be on there:

Marv Levy - NFL

Jim Boeheim - NCAABB

Lou Saban - AFL/NFL

Jim Calhoun - NCAABB

Larry Brown - NBA/NCAABB

They said Calhoun would still beat out Boeheim, and be the next guy on the list (#51).

They said Larry Brown would probably be a very close, if not tie, Jim Calhoun.

No mention of Lou Saban at all...which I think he should be in the top 50.

And for Marv, good ole' Marv...they said he did not win a championship. No Rings. Bottom line, period. :flirt::P:P