Trade Josh Reed to Baltimore

I think Reed is a good blocker because of plays like this:

some great blocking

Reed is also great as a WR when we don't ask him to do things that he can't do- like putting him outside, where he gets covered by a corner. Put him in the slot and he is a very good football player. He may not score big in fantasy football, but people who want to watch a football game don't care about that waste of time.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Baltimore may be desperate and the Bills don't need him. A LB or a draft pick would be a good deal. Good organizations take advantage of others at times like this. If they like Steve Johnson as much as they say they do, then there is no room for one of the following - Parrish, Reed, or Hardy. Parrish brings return ability and is more explosive after the catch. It is to soon to give up on Hardy and he has no trade value. The TE may also be a viable target this year. I like Reed but he is overpaid and may be no better than the fourth best WR on the team. Please don't post how they can keep 6 WR's. Yes they can, but the diluted playing time is a poor use of a roster spot. Pardon one disclaimer - If Hardy can't contribute at all this year it would have to be a really good trade to move Reed.

Bad move. Edwards will end up counting on Reed as he will be open. ALso a great blocker. I bet Lynch and Jackson don't want to trade Reed. When he takes out a saftey down field, that could be the difference between a 20 yard gain and taking it to the house. As much as I love Roscoe, we have McKelvin to handle some return duty.

Bad move. Edwards will end up counting on Reed as he will be open. ALso a great blocker. I bet Lynch and Jackson don't want to trade Reed. When he takes out a saftey down field, that could be the difference between a 20 yard gain and taking it to the house. As much as I love Roscoe, we have McKelvin to handle some return duty.

And besides, Reed was one of Trents favorite receivers last year so I dont think he's going anywhere!

Interesting that this article came on the heels of our recent debate regarding the value and merits of Josh Reed.

With his praise of Josh's contribution, I guess Bills' receivers coach Tyke Tolbert doesn't know what he's talking about either, huh?

I don't mean this to be a personal attack on TBD posters Lv-Bills and Sharper802, but judging by your opinions on Josh Reed's value to the offense, you guys really don't understand the game of football.

In your eyes, if the WR isn't of the speed & flash variety, he's expendable. What you're missing is that each player has specific roles and assignments within the scheme. Josh isn't expected to be a Terrell Owens type. During the heyday and popularity of run & shoot style offenses, it was in vogue to have several speedy receivers who could all be 1s & 2s. How many of those teams won the superbowl? Can you say "greatest letdown ever" Houston Oilers?

There are outstanding downfield receivers who are worthless in run support, other than maybe being a sporadic decoy. If they can't get downfield fast and are forced into blocking duty for the ball carrier, about the best they can hope to do is get in the way a little but. That lack of contribution is like having a man in the penalty box; like being a man short.

Here's the link from the recent article, which seem to support my view that Josh Reed is an important role player on the Bills. The thought of trading him for draft picks or backup help only shows the lack of understanding for how a team operates.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...t-diminish-Reed

By the way, the value attributed to this kind of versatility is exactly why Roscoe won't be on the roster when the real season starts.

...There are outstanding downfield receivers who are worthless in run support, other than maybe being a sporadic decoy. If they can't get downfield fast and are forced into blocking duty for the ball carrier, about the best they can hope to do is get in the way a little but. That lack of contribution is like having a man in the penalty box; like being a man short...

I appreciate your optimism and willingness to educate but I'm afraid it will fall on deaf ears to those that know the game so much better. Thanks for the link, though. It just confirms what most of us already know about Reed's ability. I can remember some great blocks he made from the slot in his rookie year that helped spring Henry. Gee, you think it's any coincidence that the one year Reed played his natural slot position that BOTH Henry AND Price had their best years statistically?

As for the paragraph from you post above, when I read it I thought of Evans. He tries hard and is getting better but he can't block worth a damn. I can't remember the number of times we had good gainers only to be nullified by a holding penalty on Evans. He's got all the speed in the world to get himself in position, too. I hope he learns something from Reed and Owens about selling out and hustling to spring a man downfield.

GO BILLS!!!