My observations of some things from practice today

ans4e64

Let me just say the highlight of my day was buying a T.O. jersey from the Bills store for $30. Some guy went to buy one for himself and came out with one, only to find that his wife had bought him one as well. He had 2 jerseys now, both in the bags with the tags on it and for some reason didn't try to get a refund. Maybe he couldn't, I don't know, but he just wanted to get any money back he could for one. I was holding out for next week's white throwback jersey's to become available, but couldn't resist an $80 jersey with all the tags on it for $30. Anyway, here is the real stuff.

1.) Staying on the jersey topic for a moment, there has been some talk on here about those jerseys from China. Let me just say that when you're in a crowd with jerseys everywhere, these knock offs stick out like a sore thumb, almost as if it's a jersey from another team. They catch your eye and look awful. Not to bash anyone that has already bought one, but if you're in the market, my advice would be to spend the little extra dough and get a legitimate one instead.

2.) Ryan Fitzpatrick looked pretty bad in the morning practice, and looked very good in the afternoon practice. We'll see how he progresses. Hamdan had a dreadful day. I don't know what his problem was. I've never seen him look that bad. Even when the defense had good coverage, Hamdan couldn't even scramble without tripping over air or fumbling the ball.

3.) I was very interested in watching the offensive linemen today. Sometimes Brad Butler looked okay, and others he got beat like a redheaded step child. He seemed to do well when Kelsay was out really wide from the line. It gave him extra time to get back into a stance. He seemed to not do so well when Kelsay was right up on him. He just didn't have the quickness to stay with Kelsay right off the line. His feet are more mobile than I thought, and I think he's got potential, he just needs some serious reps to get the hang of it. It could go either way, IMO.

4.) The backup center, Marvin Philip, looked outstanding. He literally stoned every person he went up against in the one on one rush drills. He can play guard, too. We may have lucked into a real gem as a back up for the time being. I'm going to watch him more, and I'm anxious to see if he plays like that all the time or if today was a fluke.

5.) Bell still has that potential, and you can see it, but he's not ready yet. He's very inconsistent. But, if he can turn that around, and I think he will with more reps, he could be every bit the tackle we need. I was disappointed to see that he didn't look like he added any bulk from last season. Of course, that doesn't mean he's not stronger, just didn't look any bigger to me.

6.) Jonathan Scott didn't look good, IMO. I think he could play guard, although he's big, but he just doesn't have the mobility out at tackle. At least that's what I got from watching him today. We'll see if he gets better.

7.) I was very disappointed with Seth McKinney. I thought of him as a nice veteran backup, that could play any position along the interior without much dropoff. I don't know if he's still learning something, or if today was just a bad day, but he was beyond pitiful. He got beat in every drill they attempted. Although it probably had nothing to do with one another, I wasn't surprised to hear the Bills came to terms with Levitre after practice. If that is the best McKinney's got, he won't make the team.

8.) Nelson played with the 1st teamers a lot in the slot. He also played with the second team split out wide as a WR. Travis McCall is a waste of space. The guy can't run, at all. I wonder what the Bills saw in him to bring him in. Fine looked very good over the middle, and Schouman worked with the o-line in the one on one passing drills for a bit.

9.) Trent looked god awful in the morning practice, IMO. He was missing reads, throwing the ball into defenders, and hanging onto the ball way too long. He looked better in the afternoon practice. I'm still not worried about him.

10.) Omon has to be one of the slowest running backs I've seen that make the NFL. He's good once he gets going, but his cuts seem to take forever. I really liked Bruce Hall last year, but he didn't look like he had the same burst. I saw the Bills guide has him at 205 lbs. I was wondering if he added weight over the offseason. Does anyone know what he played at last year?

11.) The DE's and DT's were doing a drill where they would start at one end of a loop (almost looked like a giant hool-a-hoop) and ran around it as fast as they could to tag the dummy at the end for the sack. McCargo was as quick around there as the DE's, it was scary to watch a man that big move that fast. Let's see if he feels like doing that every play he's in.

12.) Lankster is a real player. He looks like he's been in the league for 5 years. He's not wide-eyed or intimidated at all. I wonder if they even play him in the preseason. That will signal to me they're trying to stash him on the practice squad if they don't. IMO, they'll keep all 6 corners. If you're facing 4 and 5 WR sets, and you have injuries, you're screwed.

13.) Posluszny looks like Fabio.

14.) I was actually impressed with what little I saw of Ko Simpson. I'm interested to see how he plays during camp and the preseason games. I wonder if he was still injured last year or if he just sucks. He's definitely got talent, and there's no doubt about it. He was the most fluid of the safeties, by far. But, like I said, I only saw a little of him.

Just thought I'd add a little extra for those who can't attend. A special thanks goes to Jay Rubeo for being gracious enough to get the tickets and send them to me in Buffalo so I could attend.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for 1st hand input.

Players who have been to a lot of camps like Marvin Philip usually look like they are ahead of the curve; they are but that is because they have gone through so many camps they adapt quickly to schemes. It is when they face dealing with talent they have not had reps against in schemes they are not intimately familiar with they falter. Good training camp material who usually can not make roster unless weakness was coaching in college.

Veterans usually look sharper than many younger players in camp for similar reasons but due injuries and age they wear down over year. I think besides mandatory union salaries why many UDFAs make team when veterans look better - coaches expect more from veterans and know the veterans should look better in camp.

Posluszny has a contract with some romance novel (Harlequin?) company for covers. He is going back to normal look when training camp is over. :beer:

Ans, great stuff. Even a trained observer can misinterpret what they are seeing but I get a sense that much of what you reported is pretty incisive and accurate. I appreciate the report.

A very close friend of mine saw one-on-one minicamp drills one year and was convinced that Bruce Messner was going to be the next great Bills D-lineman. He was very wrong on that one but is right more often than not when it comes to measuring players. Your observations were well-stated.

Kudos also to Jay. I seem to remember during the "Training camp tickets" thread some dialogue of how an out-of-towner might get tickets. I'm gonna guess that was you and there was a PM sent your way to assure you a ticket.

That's what Bills Nation is (supposed to be) all about. Thanks again for the post.

Players who have been to a lot of camps like Marvin Philip usually look like they are ahead of the curve; they are but that is because they have gone through so many camps they adapt quickly to schemes. It is when they face dealing with talent they have not had reps against in schemes they are not intimately familiar with they falter. Good training camp material who usually can not make roster unless weakness was coaching in college.

Veterans usually look sharper than many younger players in camp for similar reasons but due injuries and age they wear down over year. I think besides mandatory union salaries why many UDFAs make team when veterans look better - coaches expect more from veterans and know the veterans should look better in camp.

Which makes Seth McKinney's practice session even more disconcerting. He is an eight-year veteran, no?

Posluszny has a contract with some romance novel (Harlequin?) company for covers. He is going back to normal look when training camp is over. :rolleyes:

Not sure if I'm mistaken, but I believe Philip has only been in the league one year.

Ans, great stuff. Even a trained observer can misinterpret what they are seeing but I get a sense that much of what you reported is pretty incisive and accurate. I appreciate the report.

A very close friend of mine saw one-on-one minicamp drills one year and was convinced that Bruce Messner was going to be the next great Bills D-lineman. He was very wrong on that one but is right more often than not when it comes to measuring players. Your observations were well-stated.

Kudos also to Jay. I seem to remember during the "Training camp tickets" thread some dialogue of how an out-of-towner might get tickets. I'm gonna guess that was you and there was a PM sent your way to assure you a ticket.

That's what Bills Nation is (supposed to be) all about. Thanks again for the post.

Thanks, San Jose. I don't even remember the name Bruce Messner :rolleyes:

My 2 cents..

I am one of those China Jersey guys. I got an Owens for 40 bucks and it is one of the better knock offs. I got comments on the jersey today and then when I told it was a 40 dollar Chinese knockoff I got approving remarks. In my opinion a 40 dollar all sewn knockoff is better than a screen printed replica and a hell of a lot better than a write on jersey (i.e. Bledsoe =Parrish). I saw some god awful ones at the afternoon practice (The bad ones are the dark blues with a one color letters on the nameplate, and the light blue is way off).

As for the players I am glad we have Fitzpatrick because Hamden better stick to holding a clipboard.

We have a new Tight End that to me looked great he was 89 Shawn Nelson a Rookie. But he caught a lot good passes on one series and he is tall and big. Who knows without pads and hitting a lot of guys look good. It will be interesting to see what happens to him.

I saw Owens warming up next to Hardy and Hardy is pretty close to Owens in size, one could hope he could eventually have the skills of Owens. Also Owens makes Evans look like Roscoe in size.

That's all for now.

Not sure if I'm mistaken, but I believe Philip has only been in the league one year.

He was drafted in 2006. I remember some draftnic saying he should have gotten Outland trophy claiming he would be best center in draft and mad because Steelers drafting before Bills "were surely going to use a pick".

Good stuff, ans, especially the tidbits on the o-line. (I was at the other end of the field watching the D when they were doing position drills.) Not only did Nelson get some running time with the 1s, he was out there for the very first play of 7-on-7s, and Edwards' first two throws went to him.

Guest dog14787
Good stuff, ans, especially the tidbits on the o-line. (I was at the other end of the field watching the D when they were doing position drills.) Not only did Nelson get some running time with the 1s, he was out there for the very first play of 7-on-7s, and Edwards' first two throws went to him.

I'm really excited about Shawn Nelson, it would be awesome if Nelson and Trent started clicking right away and it sounds like they are off to a good start.

Let me just say the highlight of my day was buying a T.O. jersey from the Bills store for $30. Some guy went to buy one for himself and came out with one, only to find that his wife had bought him one as well. He had 2 jerseys now, both in the bags with the tags on it and for some reason didn't try to get a refund. Maybe he couldn't, I don't know, but he just wanted to get any money back he could for one. I was holding out for next week's white throwback jersey's to become available, but couldn't resist an $80 jersey with all the tags on it for $30. Anyway, here is the real stuff.

1.) Staying on the jersey topic for a moment, there has been some talk on here about those jerseys from China. Let me just say that when you're in a crowd with jerseys everywhere, these knock offs stick out like a sore thumb, almost as if it's a jersey from another team. They catch your eye and look awful. Not to bash anyone that has already bought one, but if you're in the market, my advice would be to spend the little extra dough and get a legitimate one instead.

2.) Ryan Fitzpatrick looked pretty bad in the morning practice, and looked very good in the afternoon practice. We'll see how he progresses. Hamdan had a dreadful day. I don't know what his problem was. I've never seen him look that bad. Even when the defense had good coverage, Hamdan couldn't even scramble without tripping over air or fumbling the ball.

3.) I was very interested in watching the offensive linemen today. Sometimes Brad Butler looked okay, and others he got beat like a redheaded step child. He seemed to do well when Kelsay was out really wide from the line. It gave him extra time to get back into a stance. He seemed to not do so well when Kelsay was right up on him. He just didn't have the quickness to stay with Kelsay right off the line. His feet are more mobile than I thought, and I think he's got potential, he just needs some serious reps to get the hang of it. It could go either way, IMO.

4.) The backup center, Marvin Philip, looked outstanding. He literally stoned every person he went up against in the one on one rush drills. He can play guard, too. We may have lucked into a real gem as a back up for the time being. I'm going to watch him more, and I'm anxious to see if he plays like that all the time or if today was a fluke.

5.) Bell still has that potential, and you can see it, but he's not ready yet. He's very inconsistent. But, if he can turn that around, and I think he will with more reps, he could be every bit the tackle we need. I was disappointed to see that he didn't look like he added any bulk from last season. Of course, that doesn't mean he's not stronger, just didn't look any bigger to me.

6.) Jonathan Scott didn't look good, IMO. I think he could play guard, although he's big, but he just doesn't have the mobility out at tackle. At least that's what I got from watching him today. We'll see if he gets better.

7.) I was very disappointed with Seth McKinney. I thought of him as a nice veteran backup, that could play any position along the interior without much dropoff. I don't know if he's still learning something, or if today was just a bad day, but he was beyond pitiful. He got beat in every drill they attempted. Although it probably had nothing to do with one another, I wasn't surprised to hear the Bills came to terms with Levitre after practice. If that is the best McKinney's got, he won't make the team.

8.) Nelson played with the 1st teamers a lot in the slot. He also played with the second team split out wide as a WR. Travis McCall is a waste of space. The guy can't run, at all. I wonder what the Bills saw in him to bring him in. Fine looked very good over the middle, and Schouman worked with the o-line in the one on one passing drills for a bit.

9.) Trent looked god awful in the morning practice, IMO. He was missing reads, throwing the ball into defenders, and hanging onto the ball way too long. He looked better in the afternoon practice. I'm still not worried about him.

10.) Omon has to be one of the slowest running backs I've seen that make the NFL. He's good once he gets going, but his cuts seem to take forever. I really liked Bruce Hall last year, but he didn't look like he had the same burst. I saw the Bills guide has him at 205 lbs. I was wondering if he added weight over the offseason. Does anyone know what he played at last year?

11.) The DE's and DT's were doing a drill where they would start at one end of a loop (almost looked like a giant hool-a-hoop) and ran around it as fast as they could to tag the dummy at the end for the sack. McCargo was as quick around there as the DE's, it was scary to watch a man that big move that fast. Let's see if he feels like doing that every play he's in.

12.) Lankster is a real player. He looks like he's been in the league for 5 years. He's not wide-eyed or intimidated at all. I wonder if they even play him in the preseason. That will signal to me they're trying to stash him on the practice squad if they don't. IMO, they'll keep all 6 corners. If you're facing 4 and 5 WR sets, and you have injuries, you're screwed.

13.) Posluszny looks like Fabio.

14.) I was actually impressed with what little I saw of Ko Simpson. I'm interested to see how he plays during camp and the preseason games. I wonder if he was still injured last year or if he just sucks. He's definitely got talent, and there's no doubt about it. He was the most fluid of the safeties, by far. But, like I said, I only saw a little of him.

Just thought I'd add a little extra for those who can't attend. A special thanks goes to Jay Rubeo for being gracious enough to get the tickets and send them to me in Buffalo so I could attend.

Cant speak for all, but my knock off blue throwback looks just like the store bought ones, just a bit shinier. Add to the fact that it has sewn on numbers and name, Id say they are a much better options than the double the cost screen printed ones. Other than that, love the info