Please can I just say that I miss Bill Polian

It definitely makes it easy to build franchises twice having the #1 pick and getting Peyton Manning & Bruce Smith. Additionally, he got multiple top 5 picks with the Panthers.

Polian is great no doubt but he's been really lucky too. The problem with the Bills is they are always average and never hit complete rock bottom. You don't get Manning and Bruce with picks from 11 to 20.

That’s a big statement about the ease in building a franchise, based on draft position. Manning has been great, but IMO he was not the difference maker for the colts their superbowl year. In fact i remember being a little surprised how their D and running game stepped it up in the post season and I believe Bruce sat out a large chunk of the season during the bills first sb run

As another discussion point:

The Steelers are the team that comes to mind as the model team that has been consistently average or above average, and then has some superbowl runs strung together in between, without the benefit of a #1 Draft pick kind of year....

That’s a big statement about the ease in building a franchise, based on draft position. Manning has been great, but IMO he was not the difference maker for the colts their superbowl year. In fact i remember being a little surprised how their D and running game stepped it up in the post season and I believe Bruce sat out a large chunk of the season during the bills first sb run

As another discussion point:

The Steelers are the team that comes to mind as the model team that has been consistently average or above average, and then has some superbowl runs strung together in between, without the benefit of a #1 Draft pick kind of year....

I agree about Manning getting carried to the Super Bowl win but without him and say JP Losman, are they in the playoffs to get carried? Polian got to pick #1 twice with HOF talent on the board at the 2 most important positions in football IMO. Does anyone think we are sitting on a 9 year playoff drought if we had Manning???

And IMO, the Steelers are the model franchise because they can keep changing parts and be successful. But Big Ben is a franchise QB and their defensive system (and coordinator who should be in the HOF) is the best in the business. If you have these 2 qualities, you will always be successful.