Having been to Dublin ....

You will no doubt be fascinated that Bukowski died on March 9th, the natal anniversary of one...

Mike Leach :flirt:

:thumbsup: I gotta give ya credit, Sen. You can fit the Leach stuff in just about anywhere.

I remember spending a couple (or more) of dazed unemployed months in 1994 in San Francisco, celebrating the life and death of The Buk. I think the real shocker is I made it to 1995, and LA, alive. Or course, you were next to me in most of the bars and seedy drug joints, at that time.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in God's name would I want whiskey that tastes like Scotch?

(My ancestry is as Protestant as you can get, but I'll stand with the Catholics on this one.)

Umm...because it tastes better??? :flirt:

Actually it doesn't taste like scotch but has a different and somewhat heavier quality than most Irish whiskeys. BTW - Jameson was a Scot. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: I gotta give ya credit, Sen. You can fit the Leach stuff in just about anywhere.

I remember spending a couple (or more) of dazed unemployed months in 1994 in San Francisco, celebrating the life and death of The Buk. I think the real shocker is I made it to 1995, and LA, alive. Or course, you were next to me in most of the bars and seedy drug joints, at that time.

Bukowski's got nothin' on us, what with bein' dead and all.

Umm...because it tastes better??? :flirt:

Actually it doesn't taste like scotch but has a different and somewhat heavier quality than most Irish whiskeys. BTW - Jameson was a Scot. :thumbsup:

Scot, Scotch, two different things. My dad is a Scotch drinker, but I can't stand the stuff -- even a sip makes me imagine what a mouthful of peat bog must taste like. (And no, I'm not talking about the cheap stuff, either.) So when a review compares something to it, that automatically makes me less likely to try it.

Turns out we Yanks are the only ones concerned about the sectarian debate anyway. Go figure:

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2009/as...tholic-whiskey/

p.s. and for all those that contributed to my digital camera post, thank you very much. our "Coolpix" proved fantastic, though, StuckInCincy might be somewhat disappointed to find out that we had no need for it in any bar altercation :thumbsup:

Why would I be disappointed? An innocent comment about the heft of a camera when you were seeking opinions...a bit of humor, that for reasons unknown you chose to take as an advocacy of violence.

You've referenced my attempt at a jest several times. And now choose to paint an an unflattering picture of me.

Lighten up and don't publish innuendo.

:flirt:

Why would I be disappointed? An innocent comment about the heft of a camera when you were seeking opinions...a bit of humor, that for reasons unknown you chose to take as an advocacy of violence.

You've referenced my attempt at a jest several times. And now choose to paint an an unflattering picture of me.

Lighten up and don't publish innuendo.

:flirt:

my sincerest apologies on that front. thought i'd update you on what i used and didn't use the camera for. so will a hug do?

jw :thumbsup:

my sincerest apologies on that front. thought i'd update you on what i used and didn't use the camera for. so will a hug do?

jw :thumbsup:

Use caps where appropriate.

There is a mechanism to contribute cash to support the TBD site. Send 'em a C-note, since you are getting professional name exposure here. I'll forego my hug. :flirt:

:sick:

:lol:

Good grief, cincy, he was making a JOKE. Speaking of "lighten up" ...

With all respect Lori, I've witnessed jokes about a person's character spread far and wide, and accepted as truth by folks far and away. Everybody likes to hear a bit of dirt and pass it along with added untruth.

To great detriment...careers ruined, family problems, and other things I won't go into.

folks:

having just returned from Ireland, my wife and i have come to discover the wonderfully smooth taste of this drink called Jameson. it's a triple-distilled whiskey that goes down like water and carries a powerful punch.

i had previously been a wiser's drinker (canadian, of course), but am considering making the big switch.

any thoughts ...

jw

p.s. and for all those that contributed to my digital camera post, thank you very much. our "Coolpix" proved fantastic, though, StuckInCincy might be somewhat disappointed to find out that we had no need for it in any bar altercation :oops:

A buddy of mine just came back from there a week ago. He went to a few different places in Western Europe and ended the trip in Dublin. He said it was dirty and expensive (though he had fun) and said the architecture wasn't any better than Buffalo. I've never been myself, so I was wondering what your take on it was.

With all respect Lori, I've witnessed jokes about a person's character spread far and wide, and accepted as truth by folks far and away. Everybody likes to hear a bit of dirt and pass it along with added untruth.

To great detriment...careers ruined, family problems, and other things I won't go into.

All because someone made a hash out of boiled noodles and pickles juice? Cruel world.

:oops:

Why in God's name would I want whiskey that tastes like Scotch?

(My ancestry is as Protestant as you can get, but I'll stand with the Catholics on this one.)

And be careful...the feckin protestants are good at shooting starving and stealing from catholics.

A buddy of mine just came back from there a week ago. He went to a few different places in Western Europe and ended the trip in Dublin. He said it was dirty and expensive (though he had fun) and said the architecture wasn't any better than Buffalo. I've never been myself, so I was wondering what your take on it was.

didn't find dublin to be dirty at all. in fact, walking up and down Grafton Street, a pedestrian shopping mall, we had to keep dodging the street sweepers left and right never mind the hustle and bustle of people, who walk as fast and as aggressive as they do in NYC.

as for architecture, i could see some resemblances to buffalo, but not as much as to make any great comparisons. the wonder of europe -- dublin included -- is seeing buildings -- libraries and museums and churches -- that date back to the 1200s. the buildings at Trinity College (built in the 1500s, i believe) were particularly stunning, especially the second floor of the library, which is a great long two-story hall with great big wooden shelves on each side for as far as you can see.

the streets are especially narrow and extremely twisty, reminding me a little more of boston than anywhere else.

but dublin is an extremely expensive town, moreso in some ways than london, which we found to be a bit of a surprise. am told by the locals that as a result of the taxes, dublin is among the most expensive places in the EU. it helped us that we were staying on hotel points.

we'd go back, but now that we've been there, dublin's lower on our priority list as there are many more places we want to see: italy, spain and for some reason for me, turkey. i've always been fascinated by istanbul and it's location tying europe and asia.

jw

interesting story on how Irish coffee came to be as told to us by a tour guide while we made a day trip down to the cliffs of moher (stunning, must see).

back in the day, trans-atlantic flights would stop to refuel at shannon airport before heading to their final destination. during the stop over, travelers would be allowed to get out and stretch their legs (obviously, pre-9-11 times). of course, this was when people de-planed outside, and had to cross the tarmac to get inside.

on one very cold evening, several travelers asked if the cook inside the restaurant could come up with something to warm them up besides coffee.

imaginative cook poured a bit of Jameson into the coffees (not sure if he added brown sugar then) and voila.

the concoction was so well accepted that he began making them on daily basis before it caught big.

again, not sure if this is true or myth, but told to us by Liam, our tour guide.

jw

yeah, i'm suddenly feeling kinda stupid on this front and realizing what i've been missing all these years. what a rut i've been in!

i'll see about the Dickel, but i'm not a big fan of the U.S. whiskies, which have proven either too sweet or too tart for my liking. Wild Turkey has done well in a pinch, though. (hey, if the late Dr. H.S. Thompson liked it, it can't be all bad.)

jw

:rolleyes:

I am actually in the process of reading Fear and Loathing...saw the movie years ago but just finally picked up the book. Great book, much better than the movie IMO. I think I'm gonna pick up Rum Diaries when I'm finished.

:rolleyes:

I am actually in the process of reading Fear and Loathing...saw the movie years ago but just finally picked up the book. Great book, much better than the movie IMO. I think I'm gonna pick up Rum Diaries when I'm finished.

there are few better opening lines to a book than this: "We were someplace around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold." this trumps "best of times ... worst of times" and much of everything else in my book.

by comparison, Rum Diaries is a far different book and might be Thompson's most sober (?) and straightforward account. it's a very good book in my opinion, though completely different than many -- perhaps all -- of the other things he's written.

jw