Maybin's Stats For His Rookie Year

A quote from a recent Chris Brown article....

"As long as Maybin can force opponents to take some of their attention away from Aaron Schobel, and tally a half dozen sacks with 12-15 quarterback hurries in the process it will be a relatively successful rookie season."

Is 6 sacks asking too much for a rookie who may not be an every down player?

What do you all think?

I don't think it's too much to expect. In fact, I am predicting the kid to get 7-8 sacks this season, more then the other more heralded d-ends that got drafted with him this season. I think this kid is the missing link Fewell has been looking for and Perry will put him in position to succeed.

Six is asking a lot. I would be thrilled if he had six. I'm really not sure what to expect, though. Defensive ends -- even elite ones -- tend to struggle in the first year.

Ill be pleased with extensive action (say 25% of the D snaps) in 6 games.

If you have followed UB football, you might have noticed that former Bull Trevor Scott, Raider 5th rouind pick, managed to get 5 his rookie year with Oakland in part time duty. He played on the left side when I was watching. That should be a benchmark for our 1st round guy.

Let me start by saying I agree with a lot that has been said in this thread, thus far. Sacks are sometimes an overrated stat and QB pressures can be just as effective as a sack itself. It's hard to put a number on how many sacks will make me happy for Aaron Maybin this year.

When you talk about sack totals for any player there are many variables that has to be taken into account, such as, how often do the Bills have the lead on their opponents? How well do the players around you play? How many snaps a game will Maybin get? Will Maybin be a part of the dime and nickel packages?

If all of the above mentioned scenarios go Maybin's way and he finishes with only two sacks and a ton of QB hurries, then you can consider his rookie season a success. If he gets two sacks and hardly any QB hurries, then you can consider his rookie season a mild disappointment.

Sacks have a lot to do with the success of a football team, overall. Out of the top ten sack leaders in the league last year, 8 of these guys' teams made the playoffs and 14 out of the top 20 sack leaders' teams got to the postseason. 3 out of the 6 guys that didn't make the playoffs in '08, 2 of these guys played for the Dallas Cowboys and one of them played for the Jets, had 9 & 7 records. Mario Williams' Texans had 8 wins, and Richard Seymour's Pats had 11 wins. The only guy in the top twenty in sacks last year that had a losing record was Aaron Kampman, whose Packers finished with only 6 wins.

So, as you can see, sack totals have a lot to do with how good a team is. If the Bills get their usual 7 wins and Maybin ends up with 6 sacks, I will be pleasantly surprised.