On Bannan:

Mickey

If he is the best LG to have on the field on running plays, why isn't he the starting LG period? Blocking is blocking and although pass blocking and run blocking do require somewhat different skill sets, they are not that different. If he is the best blocking LG on running plays, I think there is a good chance he is the best blocker at that position period. Maybe we should just bring in Smith on passing plays?

Just a thought, I certainly defer to McNally on that kind of thing. I wish I could ask him that question.

If he is the best LG to have on the field on running plays, why isn't he the starting LG period?  Blocking is blocking and although pass blocking and run blocking do require somewhat different skill sets, they are not that different.  If he is the best blocking LG on running plays, I think there is a good chance he is the best blocker at that position period.  Maybe we should just bring in Smith on passing plays?

Just a thought, I certainly defer to McNally on that kind of thing.  I wish I could ask him that question.

107978[/snapback]

Actually, Ross Tucker played virtually the entire game at LG and did very well.

If he is the best LG to have on the field on running plays, why isn't he the starting LG period?  Blocking is blocking and although pass blocking and run blocking do require somewhat different skill sets, they are not that different.  If he is the best blocking LG on running plays, I think there is a good chance he is the best blocker at that position period.  Maybe we should just bring in Smith on passing plays?

Just a thought, I certainly defer to McNally on that kind of thing.  I wish I could ask him that question.

107978[/snapback]

I think you may be underestimating the skillset of today's offensive linemen. From what I know, Bannan is a two trick pony at this point....straight ahead and pulling to the right. If there was little difference between pass protection and run blocking then teams wouldn't have specialized linemen for various blocking packages and situations.

Pass protection and understanding the "choreography" to participate in more complex running plays and read defenses from an offensive lineman's point of view are not likely part of his skillset to this point. Maybe sometime soon.

Actually, Ross Tucker played virtually the entire game at LG and did very well.

107981[/snapback]

Indeed, other than Willis' promotion the only other change to the O has been getting this guy onto the field.

Let's declare the Lawrence Smith experiment over!

Indeed, other than Willis' promotion the only other change to the O has been getting this guy onto the field.

108010[/snapback]

The difference in the two coaching staff's willingness to experiment, improvise, put the best players on the field and put them in the best position to excel is this big <----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> perhaps bigger.

107978[/snapback]

Like Kelly said, it was an experiment. But you're right...linemen switching sides with success happens a fair amount in the college game, and in the pro game from time to time. I also see it as a positive thing.

108010[/snapback]

Villarial said something sooooo true in the postgame about how the OL is not getting the stupid untimely penalties that they were getting in the first 4-5 games, which has made an enormous difference. Villarial's own and a couple other (unnecessary) holding calls cost us a win in Jacksonville and perhaps another win. The false starts beginning drives 1st-15 were plentiful. That is also a huge difference.

Hey, now Lawrence Smith has some experience and is a good back up at the guard positions. While Tucker isn't Pro Bowl caliber, we have a couple guys who can at least "hold the fort".

108082[/snapback]

I wish you wouldn't use the term "hold" when mentioning our OLine :D

Guest BackInDaDay
I think you may be underestimating the skillset of today's offensive linemen. From what I know, Bannan is a two trick pony at this point....straight ahead and pulling to the right.  If there was little difference between pass protection and run blocking then teams wouldn't have specialized linemen for various blocking packages and situations.

Pass protection and the understanding the "coreography" to participate in more complex running plays and read defenses from an offensive lineman's point of view are not likely part of his skillset to this point. Maybe sometime soon.

108009[/snapback]

Good post.