What do you miss about Buffalo?

The first time I took my kid (a native AZ) to visit Buffalo, I took him for a walk through a field where I used to play as a kid. It was late summer, and the weeds were taller than his eyes. He freaked out being surrounded by all that vegetation.

It's ridiculous to think Fort Erie Chinese food, overall, compares to the best of NYC, LA or Toronto. That sounds like the assertion of someone who is overly defensive. Possibly due to a phenomenally stupid attack such as calling Chinese food in Ft. Erie "small notch above Chung King crap in a can". I'm going to guess the average Chinese restaurant in Buffalo is FAR better than "small notch above Chung King crap in a can".

But that doesn't mean there can't be an exceptional Chinese restaurant or two there. I have no idea if there currently is, or isn't, but only a fool would argue that there isn't if they don't know for sure. While NYC may experience "chef wars", there may be a great old-school Chinese chef who has been happy working at his/her own restaurant in Ft. Erie...or in any town. I remember there used to be a terrific Chinese restaurant in Niagara Falls, Ont. (Can't remember the name at the moment.) Overall, the Chinese food in Toronto was much better, but this one place in NF was better than many in Toronto.

When I first lived in SF in the early 90's, I was surprised by the poor overall quality of Chinese food, especially in Chinatown. On the other hand, Thai food there was sensational. I found much better Chinese food in LA. But when I moved back to SF years later, the Chinese food seemed to have improved, and there were some sensational restaurants. Still, the popular restaurants in Chinatown weren't the best of the bunch. You really had to know what you were doing, if you wanted to get good food in Chinatown.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ridiculous to think Fort Erie Chinese food, overall, compares to the best of NYC, LA or Toronto. That sounds like the assertion of someone who is overly defensive. Possibly due to a phenomenally stupid attack such as calling Chinese food in Ft. Erie "small notch above Chung King crap in a can". I'm going to guess the average Chinese restaurant in Buffalo is FAR better than "small notch above Chung King crap in a can".

But that doesn't mean there can't be an exceptional Chinese restaurant or two there. I have no idea if there currently is, or isn't, but only a fool would argue that there isn't if they don't know for sure. While NYC may experience "chef wars", there may be a great old-school Chinese chef who has been happy working at his/her own restaurant in Ft. Erie...or in any town. I remember there used to be a terrific Chinese restaurant in Niagara Falls, Ont. (Can't remember the name at the moment.) Overall, the Chinese food in Toronto was much better, but this one place in NF was better than many in Toronto.

When I first lived in SF in the early 90's, I was surprised by the poor overall quality of Chinese food, especially in Chinatown. On the other hand, Thai food there was sensational. I found much better Chinese food in LA. But when I moved back to SF years later, the Chinese food seemed to have improved, and there were some sensational restaurants. Still, the popular restaurants in Chinatown weren't the best of the bunch. You really had to know what you were doing, if you wanted to get good food in Chinatown.

Good post. I will admit I have only visited the Cities I mentioned except Toronto, I have relatives that live there. I have not been to Ft. Erie in years, but when I worked in Downtown Buffalo, we used to go to Ft Erie for lunch at least once a week. We went to two or three different resturants & everyone that worked there was Chinese (or at least Asian) :thumbsup: & the food was very good, especially when I compare it to the Chinese here in SW Fla.

It's supremely easy to find bad and mediocre restaurants in The City, San Fran (especially for tourists) or any other place, including Buffalo and Ft. Erie.

However, if you're savvy, and especially if you have connections, you can get the best meals on Earth on a given night in The City and San Francisco. That's a real stretch of a case to make for places like Buffalo or Ft. Erie. Maybe someone like Thomas Keller might possibly decide to open a French Laundry annex in Buffalo. I don't know for a fact that he won't.

Personally, I have never eaten any Chung King, but I do use hyperbole when debating a point. I resort to use of hyperbole because I'm not phenomenally intelligent, as previously remarked.

It's supremely easy to find bad and mediocre restaurants in The City, San Fran (especially for tourists) or any other place, including Buffalo and Ft. Erie.

However, if you're savvy, and especially if you have connections, you can get the best meals on Earth on a given night in The City and San Francisco.

I agree, completely with this.

That's a real stretch of a case to make for places like Buffalo or Ft. Erie.

I disagree with this. Well, at least to some degree. If you are looking for a world class meal, damn the expense, then I would tend to agree with you. This is particularly true if you require your food to be elaborately prepared and presented, and appreciate (or can live with) an air of pretension.

But you can find a fantastic meal in most cities, if you know what you are doing, and can appreciate meals that are more simply prepared and presented.

Truth is, I have had great meals, prepared by trained chefs, at fancier restaurants like the French Laundry (which I liked quite a bit), but I have also had great meals at little joints, prepared by a grandmother who has been cooking her native dishes all her life. Some of the best meals I ever had, were in little storefront Thai restaurants. The best Mexican meal I ever had was in some dumpy restaurant in Van Horn Texas (although the Mexican food in LA is generally pretty damn good).

Personally, I have never eaten any Chung King, but I do use hyperbole when debating a point. I resort to use of hyperbole because I'm not phenomenally intelligent, as previously remarked.

I had the displeasure of smelling, and tasting a forkful, of Chung King (or something similar) when I stopped by a friend's house here in Florida. I was stunned that it was even still being used, by some people, as Chinese food is fairly affordable and pretty easy to find. Let's just say it wasn't something I consider edible, at least under normal conditions.

Buffalo: An easy day trip to the Bergen Swamp and the Holland Bog, two small yet wonderful natural wonders that I surely hope have not been paved over to make a parking lot for a Circle-K. Ditto Letchworth and the Genesee County Museum.

However, if you're savvy, and especially if you have connections, you can get the best meals on Earth on a given night in The City and San Francisco. That's a real stretch of a case to make for places like Buffalo or Ft. Erie. Maybe someone like Thomas Keller might possibly decide to open a French Laundry annex in Buffalo. I don't know for a fact that he won't.

I know for a fact he won't.

I agree, completely with this.

I disagree with this. Well, at least to some degree. If you are looking for a world class meal, damn the expense, then I would tend to agree with you. This is particularly true if you require your food to be elaborately prepared and presented, and appreciate (or can live with) an air of pretension.

But you can find a fantastic meal in most cities, if you know what you are doing, and can appreciate meals that are more simply prepared and presented.

Truth is, I have had great meals, prepared by trained chefs, at fancier restaurants like the French Laundry (which I liked quite a bit), but I have also had great meals at little joints, prepared by a grandmother who has been cooking her native dishes all her life. Some of the best meals I ever had, were in little storefront Thai restaurants. The best Mexican meal I ever had was in some dumpy restaurant in Van Horn Texas (although the Mexican food in LA is generally pretty damn good).

I had the displeasure of smelling, and tasting a forkful, of Chung King (or something similar) when I stopped by a friend's house here in Florida. I was stunned that it was even still being used, by some people, as Chinese food is fairly affordable and pretty easy to find. Let's just say it wasn't something I consider edible, at least under normal conditions.

I don't know what pretense has to do with enjoying great food, but whatever. Maybe you are referring to Salvatore's Italian garden, perhaps?

...also Newton's Laws of Motion don't work near massive entities, and there is no "force of gravity" or "centrifugal force", much to our dismay.

Summing up: Everything we know is wrong.

I don't know what pretense has to do with enjoying great food, but whatever. Maybe you are referring to Salvatore's Italian garden, perhaps?

...also Newton's Laws of Motion don't work near massive entities, and there is no "force of gravity" or "centrifugal force", much to our dismay.

Summing up: Everything we know is wrong.

Even that, I think.

Salvatore's is ostentatious display more so than pretense, IMO.

I was just back there and I really miss my family, the food, cost of living, because I now live in Peoria, AZ. The overall feeling in the air that you get when Football season is near, and the beauty of the decorations around the Falls area during christmas time.

I left Rochester...but nonetheless...

1) My Friends - I underestimated how much I would miss them all...It gets worse as time goes on and I lose touch with more of them...

2) The Food...There is no comparison to WNY Food...Especially for a Sicilian... :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I miss my old friends. I miss the family still there. And yes, I do miss some of the food. Fortunately some of it is now in Florida. Casa di Pizza (Elmwood Ave.) has two places here in Bradenton, Florida. My husband and I get a pie there at least twice a month.