The latest on Donte Stallworth

I was gonna resurrect the old thread but that one was really about the job Roger Goodell is doing as Commish and anyways it devolved into a pissing match.

The new details are good and bad.

Bad: David Cornwall, Stallworth's attorney has admitted that blood tests show that Stallworth not only had an elevated blood alcohol level but also that there was marijuana in his system although whether it was "fresh" or not is not known.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...-in-his-system/

Good: His actions immediately following the accident in which he pleaded to a 911 operator: "You got to send an ambulance right now, man."

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31667164/ns/sports-nfl/

As we've discussed before, the victim ran across a busy highway and was not in a cross walk. However Stallworth flashed his lights at him...would I think to flash my lights if I was busy jamming on my brakes?

Also many of us have admitted to drinking under the influence. Is it also a bit of bad luck that Stallworth is in this predicament? It seems like many others (Bruce Smith, Lawrence Taylor, many of us) could be in the same situation but for the grace of God.

Also many of us have admitted to drinking under the influence. Is it also a bit of bad luck that Stallworth is in this predicament? It seems like many others (Bruce Smith, Lawrence Taylor, many of us) could be in the same situation but for the grace of God.

And that alone my friend and that alone. I can't recall how many times I "made it" home. Trips I can't even remember, blackouts, and things of that sort. It's a sad situation for all parties involved.

And that alone my friend and that alone. I can't recall how many times I "made it" home. Trips I can't even remember, blackouts, and things of that sort. It's a sad situation for all parties involved.

Well it is amazing how judgmental (and that's a nice word for it) that people are about others. I don't mean to get biblical or whatever but I'm reminded of the expression, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Put another way, why are so many people so severe in their judgment of others but easily rationalize their own failings?

And how could you even think about having an informed opinion about this without at least, for instance, driving a car past the accident site? Seeing the police report? Interviewing those involved? etc.

I didn't want to get all preachy but that was basically my point.

There was a girl in my ASAP class that had commited DUI manslaughter and served, I think, almost 3 years in prison. I can't remember the exact time served. You could tell she carried the guilt with her still and was very remorseful about the whole incident.

To those for whom it's too difficult to see if a topic has already been posted before adding a "new" topic, I'll reset this:

I was gonna resurrect the old thread but that one was really about the job Roger Goodell is doing as Commish and anyways it devolved into a pissing match.

Bad: David Cornwall, Stallworth's attorney has admitted that blood tests show that Stallworth not only had an elevated blood alcohol level but also that there was marijuana in his system although whether it was "fresh" or not is not known.

Good: His actions immediately following the accident in which he pleaded to a 911 operator: "You got to send an ambulance right now, man."

As we've discussed before, the victim ran across a busy highway and was not in a cross walk. However Stallworth flashed his lights at him...would I think to flash my lights if I was busy jamming on my brakes?

Exactly. Although it's obviously not a smart thing to do, as well as against the law, most people still get behind the wheel when they've had a bit too much from time to time. Myself included, although it's not an often occurence at all. It is stupid, but I wouldn't hesitate to guess that 75% of the people on this board that are drinkers have gotten behind the wheel at or above the legal limit at least a couple of times in their life. And that's a conservative guess, IMO.

This is a very good topic. I myself have been guilty of driving home while severely intoxicated. Im not proud that Ive done it to say the least. I am more than thankful that I have not run into a situation like this. For those that can say they have never driven under the influence I applaud you. Most people cannot say that about themselves.

This is truly a horrible situation for everyone involved. Stallworth is defenately not free of blame and regardless if he spends 1 hour or 100 years in prison he will live with this for the rest of his life. I know that doesnt make it any better.

Im not familiar with the laws of DWI but I dont think everyone is arrested, and we all know that just because you are in an accident doesnt mean anything. What would happen if he were to hit a J-walking pedestrian in the middle of the night and he was completely sober? As weve all seen with ML it means that under the circumstances with rain, snow, fog, night. In this case Stallworth was impaired so that adds to it. We really need to look at similar situations from ordinary cases to find out the punishment. I wouldnt be suprised if some serve many years. At the same time I wouldnt be suprised if they are let off with minimal punishment because of the situation either.

Here is an example of another DWI manslaughter case where the punishment was almost 2 years. He is also famous but about as much success as any ordinary person. At the same time most likely more famous than Donte.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Garrison

I actually prefer to drink under the influence of alcohol. Oh sure, I've tried O'Douls and the rest of them, but the non-alcoholics just don't come close.

Exactly. Although it's obviously not a smart thing to do, as well as against the law, most people still get behind the wheel when they've had a bit too much from time to time. Myself included, although it's not an often occurence at all. It is stupid, but I wouldn't hesitate to guess that 75% of the people on this board that are drinkers have gotten behind the wheel at or above the legal limit at least a couple of times in their life. And that's a conservative guess, IMO.

Also, didn't this happen in the AM after Donte woke up? How many of us have stopped to consider what our blood alcohol level might be, after waking up, taking a shower, getting dressed, etc? I'm guessing he didn't feel buzzed, but kind of hungover.

The accident may have had nothing to do with the alcohol in his blood. But he is still screwed.

Also, didn't this happen in the AM after Donte woke up? How many of us have stopped to consider what our blood alcohol level might be, after waking up, taking a shower, getting dressed, etc? I'm guessing he didn't feel buzzed, but kind of hungover.

The accident may have had nothing to do with the alcohol in his blood. But he is still screwed.

Yes, I have read that as well about Stallworth's incident. This is a very interesting aspect about the concept of drunken driving. A couple of years ago, a friend of a friend woke up at around 8-8:30 in the morning in order to drive a friend home who stayed over his house after a night of partying. This after sleeping for about 5 hours and apparently feeling sober in the morning. To make a relatively long story short, he was pulled over while in the neighborhood where his friend lived, the officer suspected that he was impaired by alcohol, and he blew a .12 and was charged with DUI. To answer your question, I don't often think about what my blood alcohol level may be at all the morning after a night of drinking, and generally, I am up pretty early driving to work. I'm sure most people don't take it into consideration in the least.