What Could Have Been

MattM

Having an average LT (in Buffalo's case they don't even have that) was adequate for the 9-7 Cardinals last year because they played in a bad division, had great talent in other areas, and had the ball bounce their way just enough in the playoffs. If they had the ability to replace Gandy with a stud LT, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Walker > Gandy. You're crazy if you think otherwise.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having an average LT (in Buffalo's case they don't even have that) was adequate for the 9-7 Cardinals last year because they played in a bad division, had great talent in other areas, and had the ball bounce their way just enough in the playoffs. If they had the ability to replace Gandy with a stud LT, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Peters was available in trade.

Walker > Gandy. You're crazy if you think otherwise.

How many GP does Walker have at LT over Gandy? And AZ is a unique example, given their drafting of OT Levi Brown 5th overall in 2007 to play RT for the left handed Leinart. The Cards didn't believe Warner would be their starter, and for development's sake, didn't attempt to move Brown to LT from RT. It's clear now that Warner isn't going anywhere soon.

Peters was available in trade.

And AZ has serious cap issues, considering they franchised Karlos Dansby, signed Warner to a lucrative 2 year deal, and Anquan Boldin wants a new deal. Throw in that they've got 10M given to Fitzgerald, knew Adrian Wilson needed a new deal (since re-signed) and they just didn't have the room to add another large contract.

All of those players are NFL stars, and AZ has quite the challenge to keep them all. They weren't in the market to trade for nor sign Peters. They preferred to keep their own guys, at least for 2009 and I think it's reasonable to see that they preferred to sit tight. It doesn't mean Peters isn't a fine player.

Mike Gandy started in the Super Bowl. LT is a very overrated position and Peters became overrated too.

Perspnally, I'd rather have a o-line that is hungry to win & prove themselves than someone who is just hungry for $. I don't blame Peters for that, but I don't blame the Bills for moving him either. Let's turn the page. This line will be better than it was in 2008.

Well I agree that the Bills should have paid Peters. But barring serious injury, I also believe he will continue to have a Hall of Fame caliber career with the Eagles, so Langston Walker better be having the off season of his young veteran career preparing to do the best job he can protecting Edwards this season.

I could not care less that Langston is intelligent and well spoken and may have a wonderful career in broadcasting, law or politics after he retires. I only care that he has been using that superior brain to figure out how to work with his nutritionist and S&C coach this past off season and into the pre-season, to turn some of that fat gut back into muscle and strength and perhaps even a little quickness or at least better footwork to succeed at the "very overrated position" of LT.

Say all you want about Edwards and T.O. I think Walker is the key man for the Bills offense this year.

And the Eagles had 2 higher 1st round picks.

The Eagles ultimately gave up their 28th overall and a 4th rounder. The Cards could have offered the 31st and and a 3rd rounder. And they could have structured the contract to make the cap hit small this year.