The need to run the football in Nov, Dec in Buffalo

It amazes me how many times this chant is repeated. It is a product of the "old NFL" where running is not an option but a necessity. These people obviously never watched Jimbo and the no-huddle fill the air with sucessful passes in their hey day. I will never forget the shoot outs between Kelly and Marino in December and January. Actually the only times it is easier to run would be in high wind condition. If the field is slick the advantage is heavily weighted toward the air game as pass blocking is easier to execute than drive blocking and db's have to give more cushion to avoid slipping on a cut.

Guest dog14787
It amazes me how many times this chant is repeated. It is a product of the "old NFL" where running is not an option but a necessity. These people obviously never watched Jimbo and the no-huddle fill the air with sucessful passes in their hey day. I will never forget the shoot outs between Kelly and Marino in December and January. Actually the only times it is easier to run would be in high wind condition. If the field is slick the advantage is heavily weighted toward the air game as pass blocking is easier to execute than drive blocking and db's have to give more cushion to avoid slipping on a cut.

You said it though, high winds, and its almost something you grow to expect most of the time in Dec and Jan.

So when the cold wind blows in Buffalo make no mistake about it, we will have to ride on the broad shoulders of our superstar RB, Marshawn Lynch.

I think the key is that they have to be able to run the football in those conditions, in order to keep the defense honest and open up the passing game a little bit. It doesn't mean they have to actually run on every first, second and third down.

And when the field is slick, making the defense account for the running back first makes it even harder for them to adjust and cover a receiver coming out for a pass.

How successful would Kelly have been if not for the constant threat of Thurman breaking a big gain on the ground?

2 and 8 after Oct. 19.

In the last quarter of the regular season and the playoffs, and especially when it is cold, the team that statistically runs the ball and stops the run wins.

Did you watch the last game against New England this year? Or the last time we played the Giants at home? They finished the game by running 13 times in a row on us.

Bill Cowher and Joe Gibbs are 150-1 with a lead of seven points or less going into the fourth quarter when they run for more than 100 yards.

As for your statement "If the field is slick the advantage is heavily weighted toward the air game as pass blocking is easier to execute than drive blocking and db's have to give more cushion to avoid slipping on a cut.", I should be polite and just say that I disagree with you. The opinion of football orthodoxy is certainly not yours.

Tcali, have you every actually seen a football?

More importantly, why am I wasting my time debating with these obviously ridiculous people?

the worse the conditions the more you should pass...altho it does take a good qb and smart receivers to take advantage of that huge advantage

In the last quarter of the regular season and the playoffs, and especially when it is cold, the team that statistically runs the ball and stops the run wins.

Did you watch the last game against New England this year? Or the last time we played the Giants at home? They finished the game by running 13 times in a row on us.

Bill Cowher and Joe Gibbs are 150-1 with a lead of seven points or less going into the fourth quarter when they run for more than 100 yards.

i think what you say proves only that our d line was awful

13-0 I watched as NE* beat the Bills in the heavy wind in RWS last December while Jackson ran for what, 136 yard, and Cassel did a better job of passing under the conditions than Edwards. Kelly or Ferguson would have been able to do something more even with that wind.

I think:

1.) You should have a great running game in the NFL even for warm weather, but you better have a QB that teams know CAN pass in cold and even windy weather to keep the defense from just stacking 8 men on the line all day.

2.) We should at LEAST be able to pass better at RWS in rough weather than the opponents! That was a given in the Kelly or Ferguson days.

Teams know we can run. We've got to prove we can beat them in the air. Given the particular nature of our stadium, I think it is a grave error for a coach not to be sure his team can play in those conditions better than their opponent. I haven't seen that lately of the Bills. It's scary watching them in the snow, because,when in my younger days I would've considered it an advantage right off the bat, now I cringe and see that the opponent might actually have the advantage. That comes down to our QB, I think, more than anyone. He's got to be able to play in bad weather. But, as a whole, the team should practice outside a lot more, I think.