Interesting tid bit per John Murphy (not confirmed)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I served Alvin Bowen and his family last October, very nice kid.

"""Awesome dude, we screwed all of his food up and he was very understanding."""

I made some crack about the Compliance Linebacker going back to the kitchen and the whole party got a big kick out of it. Totally down-to-earth and approachable. Seemed like a guy who really loves the game. Most of these guys don't keep you going if you start any football talk but Bowen seemed to enjoy it.

Im rambling. The point is that I mentioned something to him about being a terror on special teams and he claimed that just before he got injured he had been getting 2nd and some 1st team reps. Seemed very proud of this.

Also this just in: Andre Reed is apparently took his lessons on tipping for service from George Costanza.

Maybe he was tipping according to the service he got.

If we are pinning our hopes on a late round, torn-ACL recovering, essential rookie to fill in our OLB hole...we are in a lot of trouble.

I don't think it's so much pinning your hopes on one guy. First of all, this is only one position and it's only a two-down defensive position. I think the hope comes from knowing you have four guys - two of which are pretty much unknowns at this point - competing for a spot. Hopefully the competition makes them all better and this becomes a source of good depth for the team. I like the idea of having a few guys fight it out and see who comes out on top.

On another note, I remember getting the Brad Butler feeling with Bowen last offseason - they seemed hell-bent on putting him in the starting lineup (Butler was hurt all training camp his second year and played in only the last preseason game, but started the season). I'll bet the coaches look at him with a little more hesitation now that he is coming off injury, but I would have to think they'd consider him as much as Ellison, Thomas, or Harris.

Telling lies about how good certain players are has been going on for years in the NFL.How many times have you heard from a coach(does'nt matter what team or what coach)how great a player looked in training camp only to be cut the very next day.I think it is for selling tickets because it gets the fans excited and then they go and buy tickets.

You're supposed to believe everything that comes from OBD, including the hype on players who've never played a down in the NFL. Bowen was a tackling machine at Iowa State, but returning from an ACL tear and having not played in the league is not something a reasonable fan should expect to work. That, and Demetrius Bell becoming a quality NFL starter. These two story lines will only grow as the season approaches, and it's an effort to excuse the front office for not pursuing proven NFL players.

2106 posts from you, Vet, and I've yet to see an even semi positive word from your keyboard yet. The Bills may have their problems... but unlike you, personality isn't one of them!! :worthy:

per some guy on BB.com, John Murphy did a section on Bowen, and he said that Bowen will compete to start this year. Fewell also said Bowen would have started over Ellison last year had he not gotten injured.

Anyone else see this? I don't watch the local news.

great - Bowen weighs less than Ellison

not exactly a vast improvement in stopping the run

i guess the Bills figure a 5th round rookie must be better than a 6th round vet.

Um, where do you think that Murphy got his information? It was either straight from Fewell, or Chris Brown. :lol:

So, could you explain...what extra credibility does the statement have coming from John Murphy? Reporting is reporting, regardless of the mouthpiece that passes it along. :bag:

So, could you explain...what extra credibility does the statement have coming from John Murphy? Reporting is reporting, regardless of the mouthpiece that passes it along. :lol:

The statement having come from John Murphy means more than "coming from some guy on BB.com."