John Runyan

As you guys are well aware, I am not usually one to start a 'xxx is available, Brandon get 'er done' thread. But reading this article by Ross Tucker got me thinking. Right now, we are depending on Walker to hold his own at the LT spot. The RT spot (which Runyan played) is manned by Butler and both are fairly new to their respective positions. I am wondering if we shouldn't bring Runyan in for a physical and if it appears he can play, give him a 1-2 year deal ?

He will be a veteran presence plus be an insurance policy in case Butler is incompetent at that position. What do you guys think ? Is he too damaged to even give it a try ? Will he likely be too expensive ? Is he way over the hill to contribute meaningfully ?

with his injury history and the amount of OLine on the Bills roster right now, I'd find it hard to believe they would go after him. I think if the Bills sign anyone else on the line this off season it would be someone who could be a guaranteed starter, which I don't think Runyan is anymore.

Brad Butler played Tackle his entire college career. He isn't exactly new to the position.

Fair enough. I meant at the NFL level, but your point is well taken.

If he is damaged goods, so be it. But if he can play for even a year, I really would like to have that option available. We are placing a lot of hopes on the OL none of whom have played their projected positions for the Bills last season for extended lengths of time. While I hope things will work out, I am quite nervous about the situation. I get nightmares about TE running for his life on every play or getting slammed to the ground often.

After reading that article and how the guy can't even play basketball or lacrosse with his kids because of his knee, I don't want him trying to protect our QBs from the AFC East Edge rushers. Its just asking for trouble. John is a great guy and a warrior on Sundays, but its time for him to hang them up.

As you guys are well aware, I am not usually one to start a 'xxx is available, Brandon get 'er done' thread. But reading this article by Ross Tucker got me thinking. Right now, we are depending on Walker to hold his own at the LT spot. The RT spot (which Runyan played) is manned by Butler and both are fairly new to their respective positions. I am wondering if we shouldn't bring Runyan in for a physical and if it appears he can play, give him a 1-2 year deal ?

He will be a veteran presence plus be an insurance policy in case Butler is incompetent at that position. What do you guys think ? Is he too damaged to even give it a try ? Will he likely be too expensive ? Is he way over the hill to contribute meaningfully ?

I'm not sure of what the stats are on continuing a pro career after microfracture, but after reading what he can't do and with Marcus Jones as my last Bill who didn't return to the field following this sugery, i'd say no. It's almost cruel to make him run now, i wonder how bad his leverage would be, being a hip bender due to pain and weakness in the knee rather than a leg bender, possibly.

I think Butler at Rt will be very good. He has the size and agility. The one thing that hurt him last year was banging up his shoulder. The good thing about tackles is you use less shoulders and more arms/hands while protecting. Should be a good move and help him stay healthy.