Opinion on Will linebacker entering Camp

I was elated with the addition of Bowen, watching him in college next to Tyrone McKenzie, was sweet! I wanted him too and go figure he goes to New England (now out for the year) however he could progress to be the SAM. But as of now Kawika is working as the SAM as he did for a majority last year and very well too. Now not because he is a name, and i know he wants too much at the moment, but if kawika is manning the SAM and Derrick Brooks is a Career cover two WILL, then that would fit us. Not as an everydown player, but he can still produce and be a legit leader! You trickle in Nic Harris and Bowen and there is a great group as well as a great teacher. Who better to help our LB's with a cover 2 scheme than Brooks! I like Pisa too but he will probably end up in Philly!

didn't tyrone mckenzie go to south florida? bowen went to iowa state...did one of them transfer? NFL.com doesn't list it if so...

EDIT: nevermind, I found it...nothing to see here.../shame/

I'm pretty sure Bowen was drafted to be the SAM starter for years. I'm hoping to be pleasently surprized by his performance.

That OBD hasn't addressed a 3-down replacement for Ellison implies to me that it will be done by committe and down/distance scenarios. Maybin recently stated they have plans for him to come after the QB from many different places and Digiorgio, Thomas, Harris and Ellison are all the same 'type' of player.

IMO, the only thing that will blow the whole thing up is if Jauron and staff get canned at season's end and the new regime wants to go 4-3. Then we have nobody.

Really? You think we drafted a 5th round unknown, who didn't play a down all year last year, as our SAM "for years to come"? I think you might temper ypur enthusiasm until he gets on the field. No harm intended, but this kid has proven nothing yet.

Mitchell may have been 'listed' as the SAM but Ellison played the position far more often than Mitchell did last season. May be one of the reasons Ellison had a drop off last year. He was playing out of position most of the time.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, Ellison WAS out of position all year. His natural position, and where he did well as a rookie, was WILL. And they may LIST Mitchell as Sam, but he plays Weak Side ALL the time, away from the TE. Remember, Ellison was a semi-revelation as a rookie, starting at WILL. He was pretty good over there as a rook, remember?

Yes, Ellison WAS out of position all year. His natural position, and where he did well as a rookie, was WILL. And they may LIST Mitchell as Sam, but he plays Weak Side ALL the time, away from the TE. Remember, Ellison was a semi-revelation as a rookie, starting at WILL. He was pretty good over there as a rook, remember?

He was good there as a rookie. The bigger revelation to me was when he came back from injury in '07 and Crowell was finally able to return to his more natural position at SAM. Ellison coming back at WILL gave us an immediate upgrade at two LB positions.

GO BILLS!!!

Mitchell has been listed as the WILL LB his entire time here on any official depth chart I've seen

instead of you all arguing about who is WLB and who is SLB, why don't you just say the other OLB? what a pointless argument.

Also, the bears have shown interest in Pisa. But I hope he becomes a bill.

Mitchell has been listed as the WILL LB his entire time here on any official depth chart I've seen

Perhaps dvlddog131 needs to see the depth charts you've seen, then. But as you and I agree, it ain't about depth charts, it's abou where he plays.

GO BILLS!!!

instead of you all arguing about who is WLB and who is SLB, why don't you just say the other OLB? what a pointless argument.

Also, the bears have shown interest in Pisa. But I hope he becomes a bill.

First, nobody is arguing with anyone. With the exception of dvldog131, everyone else seems to realize who lined up at what spot.

As for your assertion that it's a useless argument, that's cool. Sometimes dumbing it down is the better way to understand things. As a football fan, though, I appreciate the difference between the two OLBs in our system and think it's worth noting that Ellison, a favorite whipping boy around here, did OK as a WILL and really struggled when switched to SAM, err, the OTHER OLB position.

GO BILLS!!!