Golisano leaving WNY

My wife works in NYC schools, and while there certainly is some mismanagement happening, believe me if they are not better funded (and managed) you haven't seen the beginning of our problems.

Better funded?? :devil:

I'm sure this will come as news to you, but spending on education is already sky-high.

US #3 in global per student spending

And which state spends more than any other??

Yup...you guessed it.

So, why are you hinting that education quality is poor because of "funding" when NYS schools spend more per student than any other place on earth? Oh yeah...because you fail to mention that the reason we are getting so little for our money is that all that money is going to pay for unnecessary bureaucrats, PC driven agendas that don't have anything to do with education, and lavish healthcare/retirement benefits that we can't afford.

Try a Q-tip to get the sand out of your ears.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Bob Barker would say, "Come on Down!" :devil:

If Tommy moves his business here, I think he will see the difference between the workforce in Rochester, when compared to most places in Florida.

I've spent time in Florida. Some things are better, some are worse. Whoopie.

Regardless of how good govt. services are or are not in any area, I think a rational analysis of the taxes and fees for businesses and individuals in one place versus another would conclude that the Bills are definitely screwed by the present arrangement compared to most other NFL teams. WNY is a depressed area that most businesses would not think of relocating to or starting in and many businesses that started there eventually have moved away or are trying to move away. So the base for corporate support for one thing is very limited.

And it was not always that way. At one time, not that long ago (1960 census) Buffalo was one of the 10 ten metropolitan areas population wise in the country and had plenty of major corporations, especially when you throw in Rochester. So someone screwed that situation up and the Bills have suffered for it. A good start for blame is the state and local governments in NY.

And it was not the weather, because all those companies came to Buffalo and started there with the same weather, and many places that are doing well or fairly well have cold weather and snow (Boston, Minneapolis, Denver, etc.).

Oh yeah...because you fail to mention that the reason we are getting so little for our money is that all that money is going to pay for unnecessary bureaucrats, PC driven agendas that don't have anything to do with education, and lavish healthcare/retirement benefits that we can't afford.

Try a Q-tip to get the sand out of your ears.

Did I fail to mention it? Go back and re-read my post, where I twice mentioned that better management (by which I don't mean more management) is needed along with the funding.

The reason that NYS (and specifically NYC) needs to spend more than pretty much anyone else is because unfortunately, there are far too many parents in the city who are completely uninvolved in the education of their children. It's not as evident in and around Buffalo, but it's a big problem in NYC. You can say :w00t: 'em, if they don't care about their kids, why should I (I have a feeling that's exactly what you would say), but you'll be spending a lot more money in just a few years, only it will be to jail them, instead of to educate them.