If the Bills Fire Jauron mid season?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Bobby April is a guy I'd like to see get a chance, if he'd want to, to run a team. Special Teams encompasses the whole team, and he sees and interacts, and gets to perform at a high level, a bunch of guys. His track record is impressive, and, if you've ever heard him talk or read his quotes, he's a very intelligent guy. What do you think?

What gets me is the eternal optimism around TBD about the up coming year. Which bright mind decided to scrap the entire O line and rebuild it?

I can understand the changes considering on how poorly the O line played against Kris Jenkins in that first Jets game, both guards and the center tripled him and he still went right by all of them. The O line warranted changes for certain but trusting that two rookies and a free agent can step in and do a better job in that interior is simply foolish. What happens when Vince Wolfork blows right by all three and kills Edwards,what then ?

Under Dick Jauron the Bills went out in free agency 3 years ago and tried to build a dominant O line,they had the best line coach in pro football in Jim McNally to guide them and help coach the new arrivals. The did manage to bring in some very good talent and the Bills had the biggest line in the NFL.

Last season McNally retired and a rookie line coach was brought in,anybody stop to think that might have been the reason for the poor play?

So now the Bills have 2 rookie guards, a backup going to be the starting center,Walker moved to left tackle where he will certainly get beaten by the Dwight Freeny types, then another back up at right tackle. A second year line coach is supposed mold these players into a successful line?

The Bills did have the makings of a great offensive line until Jim McNally retired. Too darn bad Jauron didn't start drafting top O linemen 3 years ago rather then free agents, the Bills might actually have a real chance to compete in the division this year.

So yea, I don't see the Bills winning many games this season, the defense will be decent, but that O line will be a disaster IMHO.

Actually, Bobby April is a guy I'd like to see get a chance, if he'd want to, to run a team. Special Teams encompasses the whole team, and he sees and interacts, and gets to perform at a high level, a bunch of guys. His track record is impressive, and, if you've ever heard him talk or read his quotes, he's a very intelligent guy. What do you think?

April seems to have the right mindset but how are his football smarts. He can run a special teams unit real well but can he run an offense and a defense? I don't know if he will get outsmarted by the better coaches in the league. Simply put how high is his football IQ?

I personally would like a big name coach one who has a ring. Over the last decade we have been hiring guys with no head coaching under their belt or a guy like Jauron who is a failure as a coach. We need to reverse the trend and we can't hire another guy like Mularky or Jauron because it furthers our small market status. A big time hire at coach begins to turn around the culture of the team.

Shanny seems like a fit for Dallas and Cower is unlikely to go anywhere without total control and big money. That leaves Gruden who made a winner out of Oakland ( which is a worse situation than ours ) and won a championship in Tampa. I like Gruden and I think if he got canned earlier in the offseason he might be the Bills coach.

What gets me is the eternal optimism around TBD about the up coming year. Which bright mind decided to scrap the entire O line and rebuild it?

I can understand the changes considering on how poorly the O line played against Kris Jenkins in that first Jets game, both guards and the center tripled him and he still went right by all of them. The O line warranted changes for certain but trusting that two rookies and a free agent can step in and do a better job in that interior is simply foolish. What happens when Vince Wolfork blows right by all three and kills Edwards,what then ?

Under Dick Jauron the Bills went out in free agency 3 years ago and tried to build a dominant O line,they had the best line coach in pro football in Jim McNally to guide them and help coach the new arrivals. The did manage to bring in some very good talent and the Bills had the biggest line in the NFL.

Last season McNally retired and a rookie line coach was brought in,anybody stop to think that might have been the reason for the poor play?

So now the Bills have 2 rookie guards, a backup going to be the starting center,Walker moved to left tackle where he will certainly get beaten by the Dwight Freeny types, then another back up at right tackle. A second year line coach is supposed mold these players into a successful line?

The Bills did have the makings of a great offensive line until Jim McNally retired. Too darn bad Jauron didn't start drafting top O linemen 3 years ago rather then free agents, the Bills might actually have a real chance to compete in the division this year.

So yea, I don't see the Bills winning many games this season, the defense will be decent, but that O line will be a disaster IMHO.

Our O-line has sucked for years. The team has sucked for years. Phillips, Williams, Mularkey, Jauron - all the same.

McNally is nowhere near the best O-line coach in the league. If he was, we would have had the best line.

Its a losing attitude in the Buffalo franchise that can only be revamped by a hall of fame coach like Cowher. If Ralph cared about winning he'd fire these "high motor, high character" guys and hire a real coach.

Shanahan, Cowher, Gruden...all available. Spagnuolo would have been the value pick.

I wonder if Ralph and Dick will leave the stage together. Didn't Ralph mention as much last season? It was probably said somewhat in jest, but I think there's the possibility that Ralph decides that what's best for all involved is after his fifty year run and a $25,000 investment, for the Bills to have brand new ownership. Is he really ready to go through the hiring/rebuilding process for the fifth time since the end of the Bills Superbowl teams era? However, there's no way Dick is fired during the season. No matter how bad it gets.

I personally think Bobby April should be the next head coach. In my opinion he is everything the Bills need.

1) His unit has been tops in the league since he has been with the Bills.

2) He is innovative in his approach. League rules changes don't seem to phase him.

3) He gets excited cheers on players who make big plays. Very Mike Tomlin like or Tony Sparano.

4) When he speaks to the special teams all eyes are on him. You can tell his voice is heard.

5) Works with offensive and Defensive players all year long.

6) He has to motivate a bunch of players who don't make big money and are 2nd, 3rd string guys who may never see the first string.

Every year the Media hypes the sexiest Offensive/Defensive coordinators. Every year we see these same guys do nothing. It hasn't worked for any of NE's AWESOME coordinators yet.

I would be happy with Bobby April or Shananhan. Gruden is a jerk and lost the respect of all his players which is why he lost his job.

I would love to see Coach April be given a shot for all the reasons you suggest here, but unfortunately it probably won't happen.

You mean since 'only' 4 of the 14 HCs in Bills history were of the 'interim' variety, that's not a history?

how long ago was that history? almost 23 years since the last one

wouldnt he have had to do it a little more recently then that to say he has a hirtory of firing head coaches during the season?

April seems to have the right mindset but how are his football smarts. He can run a special teams unit real well but can he run an offense and a defense? I don't know if he will get outsmarted by the better coaches in the league. Simply put how high is his football IQ?

How high is Coach April's football IQ? A coach who is consistently at the top of his game. A special teams coach who wins a high percentage of his gadget play calls. Coach Levy was a special teams man. What is that line about history repeating itself. Maybe April could take us to the promised land. (oh yeah history)

No. A 29% probability and 0-for-the-decade is good enough for me.

in 1968 Ralph fired Joe Collier early in the season and replaced him with Harvey Johnson

in 1986 Ralph fired Hank Bullough midway through the season and replaced him with Marv Levy and hasnt done it since

so he fired two coaches during the season in the last 30 seasons and none in the last 22, yeah thats a lot of history

maybe you should read a little more before thinking you know what you are talking about

if Ralph didnt fire Jauron this offseason he wont be firing him during the season and unless they go 2-14 its a pretty sure bet Jauron will be coaching the Bills again in 2010....Ralph simply doesnt like to pay people that no longer work for him and certainly wont be paying a new head coach when Jauron still has another 2 years gauranteed after this one

in 1968 Ralph fired Joe Collier early in the season and replaced him with Harvey Johnson

in 1986 Ralph fired Hank Bullough midway through the season and replaced him with Marv Levy and hasnt done it since

so he fired two coaches during the season in the last 30 seasons and hasnt done it in 23 seasons, yeah thats a lot of history

maybe you should read a little more

I can read Wiki as well as you. :cry:

DJ's all teed up to be number five this year, IMO, based on my phrenology of Ralph's pumpkin...

Good come back. You here all weak? [sic]

yes I am

like i said, Ralph does not have a history of firing head coaches during the season

next time look up some facts before running your mouth

The people clamoring for a marquee head coach haven't looked at the Bills history. There's about 50 years of proof that Ralph Wilson will not shell out big money for a head coach. In addition, most of the guys mentioned (and yes these are delusions) are guys that will want total to near total control. These coaches will also more than likely insist on improvements to the Bills' practice facilities, etc. There would be huge turnover in staff, including the releasing of employees under contract to the Bills. Ralph never has and never will do a major restructuring nor will he give total authority to one man ever again. I believe he said as much after the firing of Tom Donahoe. Ralph likes to be involved and will not hire anyone who tries to freeze him out the football operations. There is 5 decades of history telling us this.

Most of all, Ralph is a cheapskate. Here's the salaries of NFL head coaches for the 2008 season:

Mike Holmgren Seattle Seahawks NFC West $8,000,000

Mike Shanahan Denver Broncos AFC West $6,000,000

Jeff Fisher Tennessee Titans AFC South $5,500,000

Lovie Smith Chicago Bears NFC North $5,500,000

Bill Belichick New England Patriots AFC East $5,000,000

Tony Dungy Indianapolis Colts AFC South $5,000,000

Tom Coughlin New York Giants NFC East $4,250,000

Jon Gruden Tampa Bay Buccaneers NFC South $4,000,000

Andy Reid Philadelphia Eagles NFC East $3,500,000

John Fox Carolina Panthers NFC South $3,000,000

Gary Kubiak Houston Texans AFC South $3,000,000

Norv Turner San Diego Chargers AFC West $3,000,000

Sean Payton New Orleans Saints NFC South $3,000,000

Mike Smith Atlanta Falcons NFC South $3,000,000

Mike McCarthy Green Bay Packers NFC North $3,000,000

Wade Phillips Dallas Cowboys NFC East $3,000,000

Tony Sparano Miami Dolphins NFC East $3,000,000

John Harbaugh Baltimore Ravens AFC North $3,000,000

Jim Zorn Washington Redskins NFC East $3,000,000

Marvin Lewis Cincinnati Bengals AFC North $2,750,000

Mike Nolan San Francisco 49ers NFC West $2,500,000

Eric Mangini New York Jets AFC East $2,500,000

Ken Whisenhunt Arizona Cardinals NFC West $2,500,000

Jack Del Rio Jacksonville Jaguars AFC South $2,500,000

Mike Tomlin Pittsburgh Steelers AFC North $2,500,000

Scott Linehan St. Louis Rams NFC West $2,000,000

Herm Edwards Kansas City Chiefs AFC West $2,000,000

Romeo Crennell Cleveland Browns AFC North $1,750,000

Rod Marinelli Detroit Lions NFC North $1,500,000

Dick Jauron Buffalo Bills AFC East $1,500,000

Brad Childress Minnesota Vikings NFC North $1,250,000

Lane Kiffin Oakland Raiders AFC West $1,250,000

That's right. Jauron was the 30th highest paid coach last year. It's rumored that his 3 year extension pays closer to $2 million per year which still leaves him as one of the lowest paid head coaches in the NFL. IMO the Bills will never pay the money needed to bring in a top notch, proven, head coach.

yes I am....cant admit you were wrong can you

like i said, look up some facts before running your mouth

I've watched the Bills/Ralph for more than 30 years, had season tix for half that time, so I think I know when to 'run my mouth' as you so eloquently put it. If DJ's only 4-6 at week 10, check back with me.

BTW, still thinking of cancelling your hypothetical season tix??? :cry:

I've watched the Bills/Ralph for more than 30 years, had season tix for half that time, so I think I know when to 'run my mouth' as you so eloquently put it. If DJ's only 4-6 at week 10, check back with me

BTW, still thinking of cancelling your hypothetical season tix??? :cry:.

just because you've been a fan doesnt mean you know what you are talking about and it's clearly showing

Our O-line has sucked for years. The team has sucked for years. Phillips, Williams, Mularkey, Jauron - all the same.

McNally is nowhere near the best O-line coach in the league. If he was, we would have had the best line.

Its a losing attitude in the Buffalo franchise that can only be revamped by a hall of fame coach like Cowher. If Ralph cared about winning he'd fire these "high motor, high character" guys and hire a real coach.

Shanahan, Cowher, Gruden...all available. Spagnuolo would have been the value pick.

McNally was the best, he took a FA tight end and turned him into the best left tackle in the NFL. What most people don't realize is one of the biggest factors in getting an O line to play well is simply continuity. Constantly changing positions every year results in lack of continuity and missed assignments. If McNally had a free hand in building that line he would have drafted instead of free agents.

The entire point of my post was to point out the O lines poor last year was more then likely because of the rookie line coach.

Jauron promoted from within rather then hire experienced offensive coaches, Schonert the OC and Kugler the line coach both rookies last year, and yet when he needs a defensive line coach he hires someone with experience.

Good luck on Ralph Wilson hiring an expensive head coach like Gruden,Cowher or Shanahan,the Bills prefer to hire kmart coaches like Jauron :cry: