workout tips?

Anyone have any good tips/routines on how to bulk up and get cut quickly? (other than roids)

I am a thin/light athletic build and i am trying to bulk up with much more definition but at the same time lose fat and get more cut. any ideas or suggestions?

i am trying to pay much more attention to my diet, have totally cut out any type of pop/soda, drinking only light beer, i was using hydroxy cut, and am still currently using whey protein and creatine.

i usually go to the gym about 3-4 times a week for about and hour maybe a little longer each time.

any advice is appreciated

Anyone have any good tips/routines on how to bulk up and get cut quickly? (other than roids)

I am a thin/light athletic build and i am trying to bulk up with much more definition but at the same time lose fat and get more cut. any ideas or suggestions?

i am trying to pay much more attention to my diet, have totally cut out any type of pop/soda, drinking only light beer, i was using hydroxy cut, and am still currently using whey protein and creatine.

i usually go to the gym about 3-4 times a week for about and hour maybe a little longer each time.

I went from 168 to and currently am 190 and from 18% bf to 12% over 2 years.

This is just a quick synopsis

Here's how I did it:

*Eat, eat and eat. Any bodybuilder will tell you that 90% of how they got to where they got was through diet.

*I went out and bought about 6 lbs of chicken breast a week. I made stir fry, lemon pepper chicken, bar-b-que and so on. Eat more greens then any other veg and make sure you get fat in your diet. Nuts and such. Tuna of coarse is great and red meat from time to time is good, although it's not too lean so limit that.

*I only lift 4 times a week, rest is important and overtraining will be your biggest enemy after about a month or so.

*Change your routine up every 4-6 weeks

*Protein shakes!!!!!! (with creatine, makes it easier with less shakes)

*Pre-workout Nitric beverage

*Compete with yourself/make it a competition

If you have any specific questions go ahead and ask. What are your exact goals?

thats more or less exactly what i am trying to do

i dont have any specific goals. basically i am about 5'10 160-165 now and looking to gain anywhere form 10-15lbs of muslce and lower my body fat%. that would be my ideal goal. I would be very happy to be around a solid 175-180lbs of muscle with low fat percentage.

i dont want to get huge per say , but more or less just bulk up, have good muscle definition, gain strength, have a better physique and improve my overall health.

thats more or less exactly what i am trying to do

i dont have any specific goals. basically i am about 5'10 160-165 now and looking to gain anywhere form 10-15lbs of muslce and lower my body fat%. that would be my ideal goal. I would be very happy to be around a solid 175-180lbs of muscle with low fat percentage.

i dont want to get huge per say , but more or less just bulk up, have good muscle definition, gain strength, have a better physique and improve my overall health.

Have you come up with a routine or split yet?

i really have not yet. ive only been really lifting for about a month or 2 now. the first few weeks i was in pretty rough shape and did light workouts to various muscle groups to try and slowly get them used to being stressed out before i really began to tear any tissue.

now i feel my muscles are responding well and i have began to work them out with more intensity and they are not in utter pain the next day now, just a little tightness and weakness. but its a good feeling not pain.

i have been doing a lot of free weights, bench press, inlcline bench, decline bench, the pec butterfly machine, varous types of curls, shoulder shrugs, pretty intense ab workouts, shoulder press, those are my more common exercises

i havent developed a weekly routine yet

i really have not yet. ive only been really lifting for about a month or 2 now. the first few weeks i was in pretty rough shape and did light workouts to various muscle groups to try and slowly get them used to being stressed out before i really began to tear any tissue.

now i feel my muscles are responding well and i have began to work them out with more intensity and they are not in utter pain the next day now, just a little tightness and weakness. but its a good feeling not pain.

i have been doing a lot of free weights, bench press, inlcline bench, decline bench, the pec butterfly machine, varous types of curls, shoulder shrugs, pretty intense ab workouts, shoulder press, those are my more common exercises

i havent developed a weekly routine yet

When you do I can give you one suggestion and that is to dedicate one whole day to only shoulders i.e, delts and traps. They are a cornerstone to building your upper body if not the cornerstone.

hmm thats interesting... im not going to lie working out my shoulders is one of my least favorite things to do. what are traps?

I probably spend much less time working back and shoulders than i should... maybe i will need to re-think my plan

This will give you a great resource for exercises as well as muscle groups http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

Your workout routine will also have a big to do with this......not to mention you need to be getting enough calories to support your training.

High weight.....low reps.....lots of rest between sets. Dont get suck in the 3 sets of 10 reps pigeon hole.....if you want to be big you gotta lift big.

No more then you can do with good form.....but definately want to go on the heavy side.

And dont forget your rest....both between workouts and getting sleep at night.....big factor there.

Your workout routine will also have a big to do with this......not to mention you need to be getting enough calories to support your training.

High weight.....low reps.....lots of rest between sets. Dont get suck in the 3 sets of 10 reps pigeon hole.....if you want to be big you gotta lift big.

No more then you can do with good form.....but definately want to go on the heavy side.

And dont forget your rest....both between workouts and getting sleep at night.....big factor there.

thanks for advice. i cant throw up a lot of weight yet, so would i be better off to do less reps/sets and lift at a higher weight close to my max?

what i have been doing is each new machine/exercise, i will start off with a lower weight and maybe do about 8 reps, then next set increase the weight and drop down to about 6ish reps and the last set increase the weight a little more so i am near my limit and try and do between like 3-5

what would you recommend as far as trying to come up with a routine for planning out reps/sets/weights

I skipped reading what most of these people wrote, but the key is your diet. Lean sources of protein, like turkey, beef sirloin, chicken, fish (orange roughy my favorite) is key. If you get protein from fatty sources, like ham, fast food, etc. it won't help.

Best diet supplement on the market and the most healthy is green tea. Live by it!

Also, why creatine if you are trying to cut? You can't do both unless you're taking a minimal amount of creatine like 3 grams a day. You are either bulking or cutting, now which is it?

Always start with cleansing supplement. Best way to kick start any diet. Also, you asorb more from supplements after you've cleaned our your wasteland.

Do cardio post-workout for 15 minutes, not before. Drink lots of water.

Remember, starches in the morning, not evenings! That means potatoes, breads, pasta, etc before 1pm! Brown rice is a good carb sources later evening etc.

As for your workout, keep your reps between 10-12 each set. Work, concentrate, and feel the muscle rather than go just balls heavy.

You are on the right track, and there is some solid advice here. 3-4 times a week at the gym. Eat smaller high protien meals through out the day, every 4 hours or so. Chicken breast and tuna are your best friends. Cook up all your chicken breasts a the beginning of the week, put them in indiviudal zip lock bags and then shove them in the fridge. Quick and easy when it is time to eat.

Ok, so I've been trying to shed about 10lbs or so, and the diet is the same as what you guys wrote for gaining weight. Chicken, turkey, greens, ,fish, green tea... how is that so?

This guy wanted to lose weight and put on muscle. And you really can't do that, it's one or the other unless you're taking drugs. If you're looking to maintain or lose, I don't think 3 grams of creatine and green tea will hurt you. Or you want to be even leaner, then cut out the creatine. Creatine gets akin to steroids in some mythical way sometimes and I think it's ridiculous. Creatine is natural, 2 grams of creatine can be found in the average chicken breast. But my point is, it may help you muscles feel a little fuller, but not much. I think creatine is best used in moderate amounts, no loading phases, a maximum of 3-5g per day. Also, BCAA's are KEY to building lean muscle and much more beneficial than creatine! Ask any nutritionist.

Even if you are bulking, you still need to get protein from lean protein sources, such as beef sirloin, turkey, fish, and chicken will do as well. Fish is best for dieting, it's a natural laxative. And fish is never faced with food diseases (i.e. mad cow, salmonella, etc.) so it's 100x safer. Plus natural oils from fish are great for your joints, a plus if you lift, and fish is good for your skin.

I stir fry orange roughy with green peppers and onions, then buy those 10 minute microwavable brown rice bags from the grocery ( they're dirt cheap and the best way to cook brown rice) and mix it all together, tastes good with water, orange juice, or coke zero. Onions, peppers (red, green, yellow, orange), black pepper, hot sauce, are great fat burners. And I love spicy food, so it works out. Although unfortunately for those who I'm around after a meal who have to deal with fire breath.

Of course, when football season rolls around, it's a different story.... <_<

Thats the right answer. I went from about 165 my junior year of high school to about 205 by the end of my senior year, and it was all good muscle. Some of it has become fat, but thats another story haha.

But yeah, as long as your working out a lot, go ahead and eat whatever you want. Go to McDonalds, it really doesnt matter. You'll get fat in your arms and sh--, and then when you work it out, it'll get jacked.

As for working out itself, do more than you think you should. I have so many friends who have complimented me on how much bigger I got or whatever. Then I'll peer pressure them into doing another set, and I hear about how they "already did their 3 sets of 10..." Working out isn't about doing a predictable 3 sets of 10 of 4 differnet exercises, its about kicking your muscles' collective asses. If your chest hurts, do another set. You're not going to hurt yourself.

And yeah, doing shoulders makes you look really jacked.

Stay away from buying any type of protein supplement, they are practically useless. If you are following a good diet high in carbs, protein, and fats, then the protein supplement you are buying is basically doing nothing. Since your diet is fulfilling your protein needs, you will pretty much just be excreting any other protein left in the system, therefore you are wasting money. Well, at least that's what I just learned in Wellness and Fitness class. <_<

Creatine is a good supplement for lifting, but be sure to drink lots of water. Any type of supplement like creatine can cause you to become dehydrated and can lead to problems down the road. Drink lots of water, everyday.

Stay away from buying any type of protein supplement, they are practically useless. If you are following a good diet high in carbs, protein, and fats, then the protein supplement you are buying is basically doing nothing. Since your diet is fulfilling your protein needs, you will pretty much just be excreting any other protein left in the system, therefore you are wasting money. Well, at least that's what I just learned in Wellness and Fitness class. <_<

Creatine is a good supplement for lifting, but be sure to drink lots of water. Any type of supplement like creatine can cause you to become dehydrated and can lead to problems down the road. Drink lots of water, everyday.

I disagree. Cut out the creatine but use the whey protein. It is very hard to get the required amount of protein for muscle building per day just by diet. If you are, you may be eating too much, especially if you are also trying to burn fat. The goal is to cut calories while increasing protein to acheive good lean results.

The body can only process a set amount of protein per hour so as long as you are not eating high protein meals and drinking it one after another it is helping you. It also absorbs a lot faster than food sources of protein so it is really helpful taken post workout.

Whey protein is an excellent supplement. I thought I was doing well before I started using it (and every meal I had was high in protein), but the gains I had after one month of use equaled the previous three months of lifting without it.

You should do what I do. I am 6 ft around 205 pnds. Drink lots of liquids 2-3 times a week. & by lots of liquids, I am talking about 12-15 beers at a sitting. Eat chicken wings late at night, hit all the fast food restaurants & take your son to Dairy Queen at least twice a week. You may not develope muscles or get cut, but it is a hell of alot of fun.

Exactly what problems down the road? You don't run into any problems if you keep it in moderation. Loading phases of creatine is what causes problems.

Anything in excess will causes problems. You ever seen the symptoms list for taking in too much Vitamin C??