Head Scratcher--3 Good Tackles

This horse has been beat, but I'm going to take another whack:

What the heck were the Bills thinking?...3 good tackles went off the board AFTER the Bill's 2nd 2nd-round pick. Loadholt, Beatty, and Vollmer.....and don't tell me Demetrius Bell is the answer...because that joke will get old when TE gets hurt coming out the gate against the Patriots.

Every year, I tell myself the Bill's front office might know something I don't (or the draftniks for that matter), but every year its the same 'ol same 'ol. Examples where I've been left shaking my head in the past, but gave the Bills the benefit of the doubt are: John McCargo, JP Losman, and an injured Willis McGahee. Jarius Byrd would've been there later, and is a DB for that matter...

These DBs aren't going to giv TE any more time and definitely aren't going to make our total lack of pass rush any better. It would be nice to see a draft that doesn't look like the Bills are trying to outthink everybody, but rather simply looks solid on paper.

Bell wouldn't cause TE to get hurt. He just won't get great push in the running game (unless he's gotten a lot stronger, which is likely). The one thing Bell does well is pass block.

He's completely unproven...and I don't get a good feeling when I hear the Bills FO saying they are high on somebody because____(fill in the blank). We hear it every year on guys like Dockery, whittle, Robert Royal, Tim Anderson, etc....only to see them fall by the wayside. It's pretty risky taking an already thinned out O-line and not getting a tackle, in a draft that had a lot of them to offer.

He's completely unproven...and I don't get a good feeling when I hear the Bills FO saying they are high on somebody because____(fill in the blank). We hear it every year on guys like Dockery, whittle, Robert Royal, Tim Anderson, etc....only to see them fall by the wayside. It's pretty risky taking an already thinned out O-line and not getting a tackle, in a draft that had a lot of them to offer.

as opposed to these players you wanted them to draft?

What the heck were the Bills thinking?...3 good tackles went off the board AFTER the Bill's 2nd 2nd-round pick. Loadholt, Beatty, and Vollmer.....and don't tell me Demetrius Bell is the answer...because that joke will get old when TE gets hurt coming out the gate against the Patriots.

Every year, I tell myself the Bill's front office might know something I don't (or the draftniks for that matter), but every year its the same 'ol same 'ol. Examples where I've been left shaking my head in the past, but gave the Bills the benefit of the doubt are: John McCargo, JP Losman, and an injured Willis McGahee. Jarius Byrd would've been there later, and is a DB for that matter...

These DBs aren't going to giv TE any more time and definitely aren't going to make our total lack of pass rush any better. It would be nice to see a draft that doesn't look like the Bills are trying to outthink everybody, but rather simply looks solid on paper.

How is it a fact any of these guys will be better than Bell? Based on a week of senior bowl practices both Wood and Levitre are now guards. Bell has practiced with NFL players for a year. His knock outta college was size and experience. Now he has a year under his belt in this offense(also trainers and strength people). Plus the staff seems high on him. As a prospect who would you want- Bell or some 2nd rounder from UCONN?

So you're mad the Bills don't draft the players that you think are good? Isn't your argument assuming that you are a legitimate talent scout? Because I'd be willing to bet that you're not.

So you're mad the Bills don't draft the players that you think are good? Isn't your argument assuming that you are a legitimate talent scout? Because I'd be willing to bet that you're not.

I never said I was....but, logic says if you have a glaring need, which I would argue the Bills do at tackle, you do things to increase the probability that you address that need.

The Bills lost 60% of their starting O-line. They drafted a center/guard, and another guard. If they don't address their LT in FA, they are counting on either Bell or Walker for that position. I think that is risky....and you don't need to be a pro scout to figure that out.

Byrd is typically ranked right around where we took him. i doubt he would have been there later. If he becomes the starting FS by the end of the season, I don't think anyone will complain. Just because we have taken DBs in all the drafts does not mean that the position does not lack someone with playmaking ability.

How is it a fact any of these guys will be better than Bell? Based on a week of senior bowl practices both Wood and Levitre are now guards. Bell has practiced with NFL players for a year. His knock outta college was size and experience. Now he has a year under his belt in this offense(also trainers and strength people). Plus the staff seems high on him. As a prospect who would you want- Bell or some 2nd rounder from UCONN?

The point is, they are throwing a lot of eggs in Bell's basket. If they draft a tackle instead of a DB (of which we already have starters in place), then you have more depth/competition/probability of getting the right guy.

As for the staff being high on him, that means nothing. They've published articles on Bills.com on how they were high on Whittle too...

Byrd is typically ranked right around where we took him. i doubt he would have been there later. If he becomes the starting FS by the end of the season, I don't think anyone will complain. Just because we have taken DBs in all the drafts does not mean that the position does not lack someone with playmaking ability.

OK...even if he's gone after round 2...still coulda used a tackle more than another DB.

The new line will be:

Walker - Wood - Hangarten - Butler - Levitre

Wood and Hangarten might switch.

Walker played LT all preseason last year, remember? They must have thought he's be ok.

I like the mean streak that Wood and Levitre supposedly have. Added to Butler's, and we may actually not get pushed around so much.

I think we are way better than last year.

I never said I was....but, logic says if you have a glaring need, which I would argue the Bills do at tackle, you do things to increase the probability that you address that need.

The Bills lost 60% of their starting O-line. They drafted a center/guard, and another guard. If they don't address their LT in FA, they are counting on either Bell or Walker for that position. I think that is risky....and you don't need to be a pro scout to figure that out.

apparently you missed the fact that by drafting 2 guards we can now move 2 of our former "guards" to RT or LT. Chambers is solid at ether tackle, and Butler is big and strong enough to run behind at RT. I don't think it will come to that though. the line is most likely this:

LT - Walker

LG - Butler

C - Hangartner

RG - Wood

RT - Chambers

that is not a BAD o-line. So yes, we improved it without reaching for a tackle which is what you wanted. Wood is a very, very good player that a lot of teams wanted and better than the tackles you mentioned. I am thrilled about him. I also like Levitre because he has the size to be another good OG/OL and was ranked as the highest guard in the draft. Again, the top guard or the 6th best OT? take the best at his position in a case like this. It's exactly waht the bills HAVEN'T been doing.

I hate that we took 2 more DBs late, but whatever - if there is one thing this team does well, its develop corners. Think about it, when was the lat time we missed on a CB? the Chris Watson trade with denver? A lot of DBs are necessary when playing the pats, and at least we have a good top 4 in McGee, Leodis, YoBootie and Florence. Corner and one of these shmucks will round that out well.

I'm seeing that some of the Bills' rosters list Butler as an OT this year:

60 Butler, Brad T 6-7 315 09/18/1983 4 Virginia

Does that tell you anything?

He's got all the tools and that would put us in fat city for G and T.

The point is, they are throwing a lot of eggs in Bell's basket. If they draft a tackle instead of a DB (of which we already have starters in place), then you have more depth/competition/probability of getting the right guy.

As for the staff being high on him, that means nothing. They've published articles on Bills.com on how they were high on Whittle too...

Walker, Chambers, Bell, and now Butler are competing for two tackle spots. May the best two win. This team has assembled quality o-line competition across the board. Because it didn't go the way you and some others envisioned dosen't mean it can't replace Dockery and Peters (11.5 version).

I'm seeing that some of the Bills' rosters list Butler as an OT this year:

60 Butler, Brad T 6-7 315 09/18/1983 4 Virginia

Does that tell you anything?

He's got all the tools and that would put us in fat city for G and T.

As I do every year, I scratch my head at least once...Hopefully this year the Bills FO is right about the O-line.

In regards the Bills not taking an OT, let us consider that the glaring hole - that being OT - certainly wouldn't have slipped by the F.O. It's not like come Monday they'll be, all of a sudden, saying, "Oh, crap, we forgot about Tackle!" Those potential replacements were passed on for a reason. They either think the guys they've got and assembled will do it, or, they are considering bringing someone in. Remember, they aren't looking to the future; they know they have to win now. I'd also like to point out that, although I consider the lines the very most important part of a team, there have been successful teams of late with lesser lines on paper than the one we can start with as is.

Trust me, Trent can trip over the gates and hurt himself just fine. He doesn't need Bell to push him.

The new line will be:

Walker - Wood - Hangarten - Butler - Levitre

Wood and Hangarten might switch.

Walker played LT all preseason last year, remember? They must have thought he's be ok.

I like the mean streak that Wood and Levitre supposedly have. Added to Butler's, and we may actually not get pushed around so much.

I think we are way better than last year.

Definitely better up the middle, unless anyone here yearns to return to the days of Fowler/Preston. And if the kids round into shape soon enough to allow Butler to move back outside, then I'll feel a little better about the team's decision not to select an OT this weekend.

Ok logicman, I pose a question to you then. How does a second tier Tackle improve our offense. I think it is clear there were 2 maybe 3 tackles that would come in and start instantly and perform at a high level. These were all gone by the time we picked. Exactly how does starting a rookie that is not considered top 5 in their class, which is in fact not a strong class, improve our offensive line. Did you watch a single game last year? Walker will be just fine at LT. Chambers/Butler, though not my first pick, are serviceable enough that we could solidify our pathetic inside line with arguably 2 of the top 3 guards in the draft. By the way, Walker gave up just 3 sacks last year, which Peters gave away more sacks than any other LT in the league last year with 11.5. Wait, no he tied for worst with Duane Brown.