County, Red & Blue maps

Wild, eh?

Bush got almost 10,000,000. more votes from 2000, yet the maps look so similar.

101084[/snapback]

Exactly!

The difference in popular votes was 3-4 million. Does that mean the Dems got 6-7 million more votes from 2000... Not bad either... Actually great, yet...

They turned up the volume with the evangelicals.

I guess you can say by going deep into this evangelical base, they really trumped the dems... Kudos to Rove and the boys!

The maps really show a cultural difference.

I guess the next time, the dem should 86 the 1k sail board and instead use the 30k bassboat pulled by the 40k Silverado 4X4 and go out fishing. Maybe they could get a pic cruising down on the farm on a 5k Honda ATV.

Go figure what people call elitist?

Red has never been one of my favorite colors, but in this case it sure does look good.

Kind of tells the story doesn't it? The dems have no idea how to relate to the normal people in this country. lets hope they do not figure it out anytime soon.

101791[/snapback]

Since 1994 they've been saying its the Republicans fault they lost, maybe they should look in the mirror. 10 years of control of two branches of Gov. Yet its the Repub's fault. So much for looking within themselves...........

Red has never been one of my favorite colors, but in this case it sure does look good.

Kind of tells the story doesn't it? The dems have no idea how to relate to the normal people in this country. lets hope they do not figure it out anytime soon.

101791[/snapback]

They related to just a shade less than half of everyone that voted. That's a lot of abnormal people.

Well...now that Bush doesn't need to be re-elected, he can work towards unifying the country.

101725[/snapback]

Precisely the opposite is true. He no longer needs the middle or has to compromise on anything. What little "unifying" he did before the election he did to attract middle of the road voters, he already had his base and fired them up sufficiently with the gay marriage stuff. He has no need now to unify anybody. The Dick Cheney "Go _eff yourself" express can chug down the tracks at full speed. Unless you think rewriting the tax code to favor work over wealth, over turning Roe v. Wade, enacting a constitutional amendment to ban gay unions and gay marriage and maybe an invasion of Iran are designed to "unify" the country, I wouldn't count on a sincere effort to do just that. His history is to do it his way or the highway. Compromise for the sake of unity is what he mocks, not what he believes in.

Am I just seeing things or does it appear that the red is "landlocked"... Yes, there are bits and pieces there, probably the biggest stretch of red is on the Gulf coast from NO to Talahasse?

Even the blue down the Mississippi is tell tale. Why? Industry? Where the highest concentration of people? Trade? Borders? And so on...

Interesting.

And you expect it not too?

Some people might like to turn the clock back to 1929... I don't look forward to it.

There is a lot at stake.  Steamrolling us back 75 years so they can get another crack at it isn't exactly progressive.

102728[/snapback]

Hi EII! How's the Fam?

I had another post regarding something along these lines today. I think the obligation lies on your shoulders, or the liberals in this country to find out why you failed again. Rather than pointing fingers at the other side, maybe you need to look within the party, and see why you’ve lost so much In the last ten years. Sometimes failure needs to be looked at more than one angle. Just a thought. And don’t throw stones, it’s the Dems that lost this race. Got mirrors? Check?

:wacko:

Hi EII! How's the Fam?

I had another post regarding something along these lines today. I think the obligation lies on your shoulders, or the liberals in this country to find out why you failed again. Rather than pointing fingers at the other side, maybe you need to look within the party, and see why you’ve lost so much In the last ten years. Sometimes failure needs to be looked at  more than one angle. Just a thought. And don’t throw stones, it’s the Dems that lost this race. Got mirrors?  Check?

:wacko:

102730[/snapback]

Doing fine! Thanks!

I agree. I am not pointing fingers. The dems just don't have the "Candy Everbody Wants." Sugar coat it with moral values and it sells. The dems are just too depressing to many. Their message hurts.

It is the dems that lost the race. The message they hand out just doesn't sell.

It is the same reason why you will never see shows like "Archie Bunker" or the "Honeymooners" on TV anymore.

I think the mirror works both ways. I for one am proud of my past, upbringing and WNY heritage. I don't appear to be anything that I am not. WYSIWYG. There is alot of unflattering things about dems. Do they alter their message? I certainly hope not! Even if it means losing.

Time is just not ripe.

Jon Stewert last wondered if the Democrats could only appeal to people with boats...

102792[/snapback]

That is funny! :wacko:

Seriously, it will be a "blue" area that gets attacked... Most likely not a "red" one.

Funny how the landlocked "reds" seem to be pushing the most. They cover the most impressive area yet lack the population density.

It is utterly amazing to look at that map and then see that only 4 million separate the two sides. One doesn't really realize how sparsely populated this country is and what expanses there are out there.

Are people the more tolerant near borders? More open to change or going ahead with different course? I think they have to, being on the "front lines."

Are people the more tolerant near borders?

102805[/snapback]

I would think it logically follows that people in the larger port cities would be more socially tolerant. The population in these cities is much more diverse, mostly due to their historical roles as trade hubs, and their immigrant populations. Diversity, and it’s resulting exposure to other peoples and lifestyle,s leads to a much more tolerant populace.

I would think it logically follows that people in the larger port cities would be more socially tolerant.  The population in these cities is much more diverse, mostly due to their historical roles as trade hubs, and their immigrant populations.  Diversity, and it’s resulting exposure to other peoples and lifestyle,s leads to a much more tolerant populace.

102819[/snapback]

I would agree. Survival in those areas depends on this adoption of others beliefs and the willingness to change.

Question for Darin. I don't see it on the map... How does Anchorage proper vote? Other border areas of AK? Is all of AK "red?"

I would agree.  Survival in those areas depends on this adoption of others beliefs and the willingness to change.

Question for Darin.  I don't see it on the map... How does Anchorage proper vote?  Other border areas of AK?  Is all of AK "red?"

102825[/snapback]

It actually the inverse of what you would think. Paint Anchorage RED. Significantly red. 60-35ish (yes, I know it doesn't add up to 100).

The further into native lands you go, the more likely you are to find Democrats. However, they love Ted Stevens and Don Young (Republicans). Tony Knowles (fairly conservative Democrat) did well outside Anchorage and Fairbanks but the cities voted for Republican Lisa Murkowski.

It actually the inverse of what you would think.  Paint Anchorage RED.  Significantly red.  60-35ish (yes, I know it doesn't add up to 100).

The further into native lands you go, the more likely you are to find Democrats.  However, they love Ted Stevens and Don Young (Republicans).  Tony Knowles (fairly conservative Democrat) did well outside Anchorage and Fairbanks but the cities voted for Republican Lisa Murkowski.

102851[/snapback]

Thanks.

I would have understood the 60-35 thing. Things are always more complex upon closer look.