Mike Williams Comeback Tour 2009

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I realized my gift is in football," Williams said. "I was built for it. I know I can play this game. If you're not... utilizing those abilities, you are a fish out of water. And that's what I was in the business world. There was something missing. It does come down to a choice. Do you love it? You've got to choose to love this game. The grind, the time away from family, you've got to choose to love that."

You don't choose to love that you fat azz! You have to be competitive and actually love the competition. :rolleyes:

How bizarre is it that his path back to the NFL was due in part to being a babysitter for Derrik Dockery'? :lol:

Another way to look at that is that Dockery was his babysitter.

He won't participate in this weekend's minicamp, but the Redskins hope he can lose 35 to 40 more pounds to reach his playing weight for the organized team activities that start June 1.

Yeah, good luck with that. :pirate:

Isn't it crazy that he first came to the Skins weighing almost 450lbs. and is now DOWN to 410.

amazing... down to 410!

if he actually makes it to training camp, i hope they keep an automated external defibrillator handy.

This is crazy thinking, I suspect all of the hard core members here will be busting on me hard for this, but I'm a layman psychologist - at least I get into the aspects of motivation - and I would like to see this experiment unfold.

Mike Williams retired after playing very little for the Jaguars, and we all know what a bust he was for us... but, I read an article just now stating that he took some time off, and got healthy, and is now back down to his old playing weight, and is looking to take off another 20 lbs, putting him at around 345 lbs. His back is healed and he's been working out with none other than Derrick Dockery. When he left Buffalo, he said he didn't want to make excuses, But that he thought having two different HC's and two or three different Line Coaches and systems did detract from his play. Then, in Jacksonville, he got injured.

Still, he was a beast in college, and certainly knows how to play the position, and has unique physical attributes. Here are some big IF's. If he could keep his weight down, and stay in shape, and bust his give it his all in practice and really crave excellence, then he might be able, still, to be good. He seemed a pretty intelligent person, and mature, in his comments during the interview. I believe some guys get a taste of failure, and live for a while as most of us do - that is having to work our butts off to get by - or, in his case, living a relatively normal life, then he might have truly grown to understand how fortunate he was five, six years ago, and be ready to redeem himself. So, why not give him a chance at absolute minimum pay with minimum commitment, and see what he can do? We'd lose nothing and perhaps gain... or even send a trainer or scout out to see him.

I pretty much agree with everything that you say, except I think if he is going to make any type of career in the NFL it needs to be anywhere but Buffalo. No matter what he did if he came back here, he will always be possibly the biggest draft bust in team history. The media wouldn't let go of it, the fans wouldn't let go of it and without a doubt TBD wouldn't let go of it. If he only gave up one sack all year, he would be crucified for it in Buffalo.

I like how he blamed having multiple coaches for why he was an unmotivated, lazy, soft excuse for a professional.

That being said, if he is willing to work for free to help pay back the money he stole, I'd give him a shot.

I think if you read the articles on him, he refrained from blaming the coaching changes for his lackluster play, but blamed himself. It is ok to not like someone, but don't put words in peoples mouths.

I think if you read the articles on him, he refrained from blaming the coaching changes for his lackluster play, but blamed himself. It is ok to not like someone, but don't put words in peoples mouths.

First, I don't dislike him. I don't dislike anybody I haven't interacted with unless I can find a pretty strong reason. I'm just extremely disappointed with his apparent lack of dedication to an employer that gave him millions to do a job.

Second, I did read the article. When I read "Williams offered no excuses for his Buffalo years but he did say it wasn't easy playing for three different line coaches in his four seasons as well as two different head coaches" I laugh. Taking responsibility for something and then immediately qualifying your statement afterward with "explanations" is not taking responsibility.

"I have no excuses for why I stole the money, but I will say that it wasn't easy to resist when the cashier just left it out on the counter."

So it's just my interpretation of the statement. Not putting any words in his mouth. You are free to disagree of course... :doh:

ESPN 980: Doc says Mike Williams looks promising

This is from Doc Walker on ESPN 980:

Doc Walker mentions that he was at Redskins Park and was watching a few drills. He said that Williams was the most explosive player he'd seen for players who work within short distance. Doc believes there is no way he's not on the opening day roster. He says that the person holding the pads during that particular drill deserves better.

and this is what Williams look like now... Mike Williams

hey guys, what was that game that M. Williams missed due to a "car accident" on the way to the game? I remember somebody saying it in the parking lot, but I was so drunk, I forgot what game it was. I'm thinking it was the season opener agains the Texans (Losman's first game as a starter)

If anybody remembers, post it, cause it's driving me nuts!!!

thnx