Casserly's opinion of the tackles

There are four OT's being projected as top 10 (or 11) picks. If the consensus was that the class was that weak, I don't think we'd be looking at that number of tackles being touted as such high draft choices.

It's all relative to the other draft prospects. Outside of Crabtree, Curry, and maybe Stafford (just because he's a QB), there are no great prospects at other positions.

There are four OT's being projected as top 10 (or 11) picks. If the consensus was that the class was that weak, I don't think we'd be looking at that number of tackles being touted as such high draft choices. I leave Oher for the second tier, but would be happy to get any of the top three tackles at 11.

It could me that the talent overall is weak.

As a unit, the Bills OTs are sub-par, and I am being kind. If they don't bolster the OL, including the OT spot, they will continue to suck long term. It really is that simple.

As a unit, they were sub-par last year as well. So what has changed, except for jettisoning a guy who admittedly gave a half-hearted effort last year and replacing him with a youngter who while inexperienced, has great size and athleticism, and will be sure to at least give his best effort every Sunday?

Pretty impressive, considering Williams, Ryans, and Daniels are 3 of the best players at their positions in the NFL, and Winston is their starting RT. I also don't think that this is a great OT group and hope the Bills don't take one early.

great reasoning light year for LT so lets wait to take an OT so we can get an even lesser tallented player. believe me any of the top 4 tackles in this draft would start from day one and be significant upgrade over any other option we have.

my good friend gill brandt told me tuesday the monroe and oher if they slide to buffalo would both be great players however he knows monroe wont be there @ 11.

he stated oher is one of his favorite players in this draft and would have no problem starting in buffalo from day one.

i'll take gill's opinion over anyone especially anyone on a message board.

As a unit, they were sub-par last year as well. So what has changed, except for jettisoning a guy who admittedly gave a half-hearted effort last year and replacing him with a youngter who while inexperienced, has great size and athleticism, and will be sure to at least give his best effort every Sunday?

I hope it works out, but I can't tell you that I am pleased to see Peters gone.

Hey, nothing would please me more than to see Bell turn into a talented LT, but expecting this is unreasonable. 9 reps with 225? This guy needs to get a lot stronger to have a chance. Walker is imo too fat to play LT. I like Chambers. He can pass block but we need more at this critical position.

Imo we are all but mandated to take one of the early LTs, but I doubt that we will.

Charlie Casserly, the former gm of the Redskins and Texans was interviewed on Sirius NFL's Moving the Chains by Kirwain and Ryan. When Casserly was asked his opinion on the top two offensive tackles (Smith and Monroe), he said that neither guy was an elite talent. He then explained that if Smith and Monroe were part of last year's draft, they would have selected after Clady and Alberts. Meaning they would be mid to late round picks. Of all the opinions I have heard, I respect Casserly's the most. He was an above average to good gm who can state his opinion without bias.

The fear that I now have is that Buffalo will not be able to find an Left Tackle in the draft. I'm sure a good one will emerge, but who? I also think that it is possible that this is a bad year to have multiple picks. I would not be suprised to see teams like the Patriots trade some of their picks in 2009 for 2010 draft picks.

How nice would it be to have guys like Clady and Alberts available this year at 11. I hope the bills can find a star at 11, cross your fingers.

One thing to note....Monroe was so good that Albert played LG at Virginia...and now he's a stud LT.

With this, I doubt Monroe would have been selected higher than Albert.

Smith on the other hand, we'll see....

great reasoning light year for LT so lets wait to take an OT so we can get an even lesser tallented player. believe me any of the top 4 tackles in this draft would start from day one and be significant upgrade over any other option we have.

my good friend gill brandt told me tuesday the monroe and oher if they slide to buffalo would both be great players however he knows monroe wont be there @ 11.

he stated oher is one of his favorite players in this draft and would have no problem starting in buffalo from day one.

i'll take gill's opinion over anyone especially anyone on a message board.

Bell has as much athleticism as any of the "top" OT's in this year's draft, and has the advantage of a year in the Bills' system and strength and conditioning program. And I would hope the Bills didn't trade their LT for the 28th pick, and then turn around and draft his replacement at #11.

I hope it works out, but I can't tell you that I am pleased to see Peters gone.

Hey, nothing would please me more than to see Bell turn into a talented LT, but expecting this is unreasonable. 9 reps with 225? This guy needs to get a lot stronger to have a chance. Walker is imo too fat to play LT. I like Chambers. He can pass block but we need more at this critical position.

Imo we are all but mandated to take one of the early LTs, but I doubt that we will.

I'm not happy that Peters is gone (well, at least the Peters of 2006-2007). I supported him up to a point last year, but thought the protracted holdout was stupid and childish and that the Bills were right to not cave into his demands until he reported and showed he was healed from his late-2007 season injury. Maybe it was his agent more than anything, but the agents work for their clients, not the other way around. I was less-than-impressed with his performance last season, and thought he should have regained his dominance after just a month, but now think that his groin injury robbed him of his special talent. And after hearing his PC with the Eagles, I knew the Bills made the right choice in trading him. Tucker's questioning why the Eagles were the only team to go after him despite there reportedly being 4 teams ready to take an OT in the top-10 and pay them close to what Peters got despite being wholly unproven, leaves me at peace with the situation.

Peters is an ass, plain and simple. I hope he fails miserably in Philly and the picks the Bills get prove to be good ones. For the Bills to rescue him from the scrap heap, develop him, and take a chance with him and his contract extension, and then to be treated like this, it shows inexcusable disrespect and/or an inordinate ego.

Casserly's OLine in Houston was one of the worst in HISTORY. That said, he's likely just repeating what his sources tell him.

Casserly took a HUGE Gamble on Tony Boselli, taking him from the Jags in the entry draft. Had he been healthy the Houston O-line would have been MUCH BETTER.