Mayock on Ayers

The thing is Mike Mayock knows football players better then Mel Kiper and all the other "wannabe" draft guru's who get their info from NFL scouts and don't have the ability to break down game tapes. I've been listening to him long enough so that I'd trust his opinion over any other media source.

Mike Mayock was saying good things about Robert Ayers months ago when most didn't even know who he was.

Robert Ayers or Tyson Jackson get my vote as #11 pick, even Kiper has the Bills taking Ayers in his latest mock draft.

I'm so sick of the Bills allowing teams to run all over them year after year, I'd love to see the Bills shut teams running game down. Ya know...run and stop the run.

I agree with you on this issue H2o. We need someone who can come in and get to the QB. I would feel much better if we took Brown or Orakpo at 11.

I personally want nothing to do with UT players. They seem to have a crazy amount of busts in recent memory.

I personally want nothing to do with UT players. They seem to have a crazy amount of busts in recent memory.

You do have a point there. UT scares me too but sooner or later they produce a good pro don't they?

Just mentioned this in another Thread and thought it was worthy of it's own...

Mike Mayock said yesterday..."In two to three years Robert Ayers will be the best Defensive Player from this years draft." He went on to explain that Ayers has improved each year and that his upside is endless...Then Charles Davis chimed in with His knowledge of His Alma Mater and Ayers and pretty much agreed Mayock's prediction was possible...

Thoughts? :worthy:

If Mayock buys it then so will I.

The thing is Mike Mayock knows football players better then Mel Kiper and all the other "wannabe" draft guru's who get their info from NFL scouts and don't have the ability to break down game tapes. I've been listening to him long enough so that I'd trust his opinion over any other media source.

Mike Mayock was saying good things about Robert Ayers months ago when most didn't even know who he was.

Robert Ayers or Tyson Jackson get my vote as #11 pick, even Kiper has the Bills taking Ayers in his latest mock draft.

I'm so sick of the Bills allowing teams to run all over them year after year, I'd love to see the Bills shut teams running game down. Ya know...run and stop the run.

100% agree... :worthy:

If the Bills did somehow end up with another later first then i would go after him. From talking to a good friend of mine who is a big Bama fan. He said the only guy Andre Smith had trouble with all year was Ayers. But i am a little skeptical of a one year wonder guy. And the fact he had only 3 sacks.

What Mayock and Davis were basically saying is that Ayers will EVENTUALLY be the best DE in this Draft...That would include Pass Rush as well of coarse...I'm not sure He's going to be a monster right away getting to the QB, but He would have some advantages in Buffalo assuming Schobel is back healthy...He'll be a Rookie and He'll have to earn extra attention...As long as He's applying SOME pressure from the Left Side on Passing Downs He's a HUGE Upgrade already for The Bills...

Buffalo desperately Needs impact level talent on Defense, and especially at DE...I think with a Scout like Mayock saying Ayers has star potential, one thing is certain...Ayers immediately becomes part of the discussion at #11 Overall...The thing I worry about is passing on Ayers and seeing Him reach Mayock's prediction on another Team...That would be brutal...Because IMHO The Bills #1 Need is a 3-Down DE...We'll see soon enough... :worthy:

The last time the Bills drafted a DE who had all of this supposed talent, but with mediocre collegiate production, his name was Chris Kelsay. We all know how well that one turned out, though thankfully, he was picked in the 2nd and not the first.

Speaking of Kelsay, the Bills should draft an OT in round 1. The reason they won't draft a DE is because for some strange reason they like Kelsay. He has been a flop in my eyes, but they gave him an extension and a raise for a reason.

I would trade Peters for a 1st rounder higher than top 15 along with a two more picks (i.e. another 2nd and 3rd minimum). This would give the Bills 2 #1's, 2 #2's and 2 #3's.

I would draft or trade up to draft one of the top three OT's with one pick, use the other 1st on a DL (prefer DE) and with the 2nd rounder I would pick up the best available TE. The other 2nd rounder I would use on an OLB.

In round 3, I would look for another OL with one of the two picks.

The Bills need to rebuild from the lines first. It's too bad Peters is a malcontent. He has to go!

Just mentioned this in another Thread and thought it was worthy of it's own...

Mike Mayock said yesterday..."In two to three years Robert Ayers will be the best Defensive Player from this years draft." He went on to explain that Ayers has improved each year and that his upside is endless...Then Charles Davis chimed in with His knowledge of His Alma Mater and Ayers and pretty much agreed Mayock's prediction was possible...

Thoughts? :worthy:

I really like Ayers and although I still prefer Everette Brown I would not be disappointed with Ayers

Well...Mayock and Davis explained the lack of Sacks as a Sr. in this way...They said Ayers has VERY little experience and got a lot of attention on a Defense where He was clearly the best Player on the Field...They said He improved greatly each Year...Basically they believe in the NFL He won't get as much attention first of all, and secondly He'll continue to improve...

When Mayock makes a statement like that about a DE with only 3 Sacks in a Season...well...He HAS to know He's going WAY out on a limb about the Kid...One thing is certain...Mike Mayock thinks Ayers is the real deal...No question about it... :worthy:

He did improve every year, true. His tackle production anyway, but as a Junior he had more sacks with 4 and that was likely with less focus on him by opposing teams. They can make any excuse they want, I'm not buying it. You don't think these other top pass rushers coming out of college had as much, if not more focus on them than Ayers? Seriously? He plays the run excellent, there is no questioning that. I just don't see how a guy with a COLLEGE CAREER TOTAL 9 SACKS turns into our next Bruce Smith or even our next Aaron Schobel for that matter. Most of the players we're talking about to fill our pass rushing void had more sacks this season than he had in his entire college career. Late 1st Round, if we trade down? Yes. The #11 pick in the draft? No, especially if Brown or Orakpo are still on the board.

this caught my attention, i have heard a lot of conflicting thoughts on ayers. but i put some stock into mayock's analysis he usually seems to be spot on with most of his projections...

And this was a big projection...He did not say "I like the Kid. I think He's a 1st Rd. Pick." He said Ayers would be the best Defensive Player from this Draft in 2-3 Years...That's saying something IF He's right because it looks like Ayers will not go in the Top 10, and He'll likely be the 4th Defensive Player taken (behind Curry, Raji, and Orakpo) ...I'm not saying Mayock will be right either...I am saying He's does not make comments like that unless He means it...And IF He's right, and Ayers ends up a Buffalo Bills DE, it would be a HUGE get at #11 Overall...

We'll see soon enough... :worthy: