GPS Question For The Golf Nuts

dpbillsfan

Next time you swing your Titanium/Carbon Fiber Driver with the head the size of a watermelon, and pound your nike extra long distance ball with increased lift of the ladies tee, remind yourself that you're a stodgy purest.

please, I can't afford any of that stuff. My clubs are 15 year old hand me downs from my half-brother, and I almost exclusively use shag balls from the clubhouse at the local public course (except on my birthday when I get a nice big pack of Pro V1s). Equipment doesn't make a golfer any better or any worse. I'm a 6 handicap, and I'd be a 6 handicap with "fancy" stuff. I used to get ribbed by the guys on my high school golf team, but I'd shut em all up when I outscored 'em. :thumbsup:

When I feel like actually spending legit money on golf, I do it by playing at a nice course.

Equipment doesn't make a golfer any better or any worse. I'm a 6 handicap, and I'd be a 6 handicap with "fancy" stuff. I used to get ribbed by the guys on my high school golf team, but I'd shut em all up when I outscored 'em. :thumbsup:

Uhmmmmm. the resounding answer there in WRONG!! Now, please be advised i have been saying the same thing as you Sage as I meekly hit my drives with orininal set of Bubble Burners, and have almost any new ask why I only drive with my 5 word when I am using my driver!!

Last two times I have traveled, I have used rentals and YES, the driver especaiily made a HUGE difference. I would say those times using the rentals my drives were easily at least 25 yds longer, and that was consistently.

Uhmmmmm. the resounding answer there in WRONG!! Now, please be advised i have been saying the same thing as you Sage as I meekly hit my drives with orininal set of Bubble Burners, and have almost any new ask why I only drive with my 5 word when I am using my driver!!

Last two times I have traveled, I have used rentals and YES, the driver especaiily made a HUGE difference. I would say those times using the rentals my drives were easily at least 25 yds longer, and that was consistently.

However, the most important thing is familiarity. I've been using these bad boys since I first started playing the game 10 years ago, and I know them like the back of my hand. If I'm on the fringe of the green, there's no club I'd rather have in my hand than my trusty 7 iron (and we all know the short game is most important).

As for distance, I get a solid 260 out of my driver. Would I get 285 with a better one? Maybe, but I honestly doubt it would improve my score that much. Besides, I don't play competitively anymore. So what if I drop a stroke here or there because of distance? I like my clubs, they treat me well, that's what's important. I suspect I'd struggle at this point with "better" clubs.

please, I can't afford any of that stuff. My clubs are 15 year old hand me downs from my half-brother, and I almost exclusively use shag balls from the clubhouse at the local public course (except on my birthday when I get a nice big pack of Pro V1s). Equipment doesn't make a golfer any better or any worse. I'm a 6 handicap, and I'd be a 6 handicap with "fancy" stuff. I used to get ribbed by the guys on my high school golf team, but I'd shut em all up when I outscored 'em. :thumbsup:

When I feel like actually spending legit money on golf, I do it by playing at a nice course.

Sage, I'm with you. It's not the clubs, but after using mine for about 18 years I finally bought a Taylor Made driver and woods from Golfsmith last fall when they went on clearance. And for Christmas this year I treated myself to s new set of 06 Big Bertha irons that were on sale at Edwin Watts golf. I was using a set of knock off Ping's that I bought from a club maker. I do have alot more confidence off the tee box.

:thumbsup::(

I must be in a slap happy mood (waking up to 6 inches of snow in April will do that)... But that is priceless what you said... To me, GOLF is the one game that technology (from course to equipment, etc.. etc..) has greatly altered yet what pumps me is this purest "history" that the sport clings to... What gives? :thumbsup::wallbash:

You are spot on about all of the 'technology' with respect to golf. Bottom line is that everyone wants to be a good golfer, but the vast majority is too lazy to go out to the range and practice. Golf is not easy, but it can be a lot of fun if you have realistic expectations for your round, and you leave your cell phone and your ego in the car.

Also - sober golf is for idiots.

Next time you swing your Titanium/Carbon Fiber Driver with the head the size of a watermelon, and pound your nike extra long distance ball with increased lift of the ladies tee, remind yourself that you're a stodgy purest.

Nike Xtra Long Distance balls are crap. They feel like concrete and can't hold the greens for sh--.

Carbon Fiber was big a few years ago, but not so much now.

You are spot on about all of the 'technology' with respect to golf. Bottom line is that everyone wants to be a good golfer, but the vast majority is too lazy to go out to the range and practice. Golf is not easy, but it can be a lot of fun if you have realistic expectations for your round, and you leave your cell phone and your ego in the car.

Nothing better than a hot cart girl pouring your first bloody mary at 8:00am on the 2d tee. :thumbsup:

I would love to go out to the range and pound golf balls all day, but the $$$$ is too much. Its cheaper to go out and play a round. I haven't got the cash to shell out $185 a month for a membership w/ unlimited range balls. I do go out to a local course and practice my putting and chipping although the puting practice didn't help yesterday.

When it all comes down to it, you can know the exact distance to the pin to the inch, you can know how much break every single blade of grass on the green imparts on the ball, and exactly how the wind will affect your shot, but you've still got to actually hit he shot.

Knowing you are exactly 168.5 yards to the pin really doesn't matter too much when you hit a 40 yard worm burner with your next swing.

Equipment definitely helps, IMO. But I think you have to develop the proper skill set before you see a significant increase in distance, accuracy, etc. I also played some HS Golf but I can't say that I'm quite as high as a 6 handicap but I'm a low double digit handicap.

As for the GPS goes, I find nothing wrong with being able to use it on a golf course. My dad just bought one actually, and he loves it. He was telling me that it makes the entire round go much quicker because people aren't walking around looking for yardage markers and paceing out yards. He just walks up to the ball says the distance to the person swinging and they know they exact distance to the front, middle, and center of the green.

I would love to go out to the range and pound golf balls all day, but the $$$$ is too much. Its cheaper to go out and play a round. I haven't got the cash to shell out $185 a month for a membership w/ unlimited range balls. I do go out to a local course and practice my putting and chipping although the puting practice didn't help yesterday.

That's kinda weird, I mean the whole membership thing. I have a couple of ranges that I go to in the evenings and hit a bucket and drink some beer. It's funny because I spend about eight bucks on the bucket and ten or so on the beer (tip included). I love the driving range.

That's kinda weird, I mean the whole membership thing. I have a couple of ranges that I go to in the evenings and hit a bucket and drink some beer. It's funny because I spend about eight bucks on the bucket and ten or so on the beer (tip included). I love the driving range.

If you were not drunk all the time maybe you could Golf worth a shiit?

You're toast, dude!! <_<