Would you trade Peters for Lions #1 pick?

If we can take the #1 pick and parlay it into several later picks, that would be better. I think a few team would like to move up and we could grab a 1st, 2nd and 4th from another team I bet.

NO !!.......I would rather pay Peters than take a chance on the #1. The #1 overall pick in the draft is a CURSE !!......you must commit $12 million a year for 5 years ($60 mil) with half of it GUARANTEED on a crap shoot roll of the dice rookie who may or may not be succesful. At least a mid round pick is about a third of that with not much of a drop off in talent. The league seriously needs a rookie scale that doesnt PENALIZE the teams that pick early in the first round. Let me remind you of the previous 10, first overall picks:

1999 Tim Couch Quarterback Kentucky Cleveland Browns (BUST)

2000 Courtney Brown Defensive end Penn State Cleveland Browns (BUST)

2001 Michael Vick Quarterback Virginia Tech Atlanta Falcons (JAIL)

2002 David Carr Quarterback Fresno State Houston Texans (BUST)

2003 Carson Palmer Quarterback USC Cincinnati Bengals (HIT)

2004 Eli Manning Quarterback Ole Miss San Diego Chargers (traded to the New York Giants) (HIT)

2005 Alex Smith Quarterback Utah San Francisco 49ers (BUST)

2006 Mario Williams Defensive End North Carolina State Houston Texans (HIT)

2007 JaMarcus Russell Quarterback LSU Oakland Raiders (JURY STILL OUT)

2008 Jake Long Offensive Tackle Michigan Miami Dolphins (HIT)

2009 TBA Position College Detroit Lions (BUST....it's Detroit....lol)

If we can take the #1 pick and parlay it into several later picks, that would be better. I think a few team would like to move up and we could grab a 1st, 2nd and 4th from another team I bet.

so you want to trade for the 1st pick then trade the first pick....yeah thats not dreaming is it

Let 'em have #1 and its headaches. Give me Detroit's #20, #33, and #65 for Peters instead:

11 Buffalo Michael Oher OT Mississippi

20 Buffalo Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St

33 Buffalo Robert Ayers DE43 Tennessee

42 Buffalo Eric Wood OG Louisville

65 Buffalo William Moore FS Missouri

75 Buffalo Jonathan Luigs OC Arkansas

110 Buffalo Jonathan Casillas OLB43 Wisconsin

147 Buffalo Vance Walker DT43 Georgia Tech

183 Buffalo Otis Wiley SS Michigan State

220 Buffalo Worrell Williams ILB California

Mock draft Using DraftTek's Online Simulator

I think DraftTek is clearly one of the best web based tools for collecting information and understanding how to do well in the draft!

However, one of the things I think it clearly demonstrates is that doing well in the NFL and doing well in the draft though obviously and intricately related, they really are two different things.

The draft is about choosing the best player.

Achieving the goal of even making it to or if you are really lucky (in addition to the basis of being really good) winning the SB is about building a team (which actually is a TEAM) if you do it right.

One major way this distinction hits and make a difference is that an overfocus on the individual means a team ends up bouncing from savior to savior instead of emphasizing acquiring and finding a balance among lots of players to build a winning TEAM.

The Bills OL problems are not about a failure to get high priced (Mike Williams was high-priced) or even high quality talent (my sense is that Jason Peters is one of the most talented players ever play OL for the Bills and he was even a mere UDFA). The problems have been:

1. Lack of strong OL leadership- I have become more convinced over time that if you forced me to name one player who was most valuable to the SB success it would not be the glitz players like HOFer's Kelly and Thurman or soon to be HOFer Brice Smith it would be Kent Hull. My sense is that his refuse to lose attitude provided an example which encouraged and forced each OL player to dig a little deeper on each play. My guess of why Derrick Dockery is a goner is that as the highest paid player he was a natural choice to provide the internal leadership this team needed to become a TEAM. While Peters is a business where he should be judged on his own results and cannot escape either praise or fault for them, his failure to put the team first to me is really an indictment of a lack of internal leadership and discipline which I would plop on Dockery's doorstep.

2. A lack of solid plan Bs- the SB years actually saw an incredible amount of good luck on the Bills part as for most cases the OL was able to remain intact and play. This team has not had such good fortune and we have seen numerous players go down for numerous games. You gotta have good plan Bs in terms of depth and flexibility if this happens and the Bills have fallen short in this area.

3. A solid over-arching framework- A good QB, a go- to WR and an RB with a diverse skillset are all essential to winning this game, but there are lots of essentials and the three above items are are secondary or tertiary to a game which ultimately is won or lost in the trenches. However, even a solid OL though a primary need for a working offense is harder to create and keep together when there is not there there. What Fairchild, Clements, Kragthorpe and now so far Schonert have failed to create is a solid demonstrable framework within which a solid OL can do the nasty work,

I hope TO is a charm (my own little bit of savioritis) because my the future is now sense comes a lot from knowing that we are only guaranteed 1 year of this asset. In the end he can actually be replaced with the next flavor of the month next year and it would be better if he does well enough and the Bills do well enough that he finds a home here to finish off his career with a ring or two. However, no one except for TO got rich betting on TO so I doubt this will happen and the Bills are likely committed to a strategy of the future being now.

We'll see.

As for the Bills trading up they would lose the ability to draft enough guys to fill some holes just for one player.

No, they wouldn't. The Lions would trade their #1 pick for JP in a heartbeat straight up. And they should, because the Bills would be getting ripped like never before. A proven commodity that fills a gaping hole for the Lions for a 50/50 chance on a guy being a legit starter, much less a pro bowl caliber player, that costs approximately the same? The Bills WILL NOT do this. Period.

i would trade Peters for the Lions 2nd first round pick

Wow. I'm really glad you don't work in the Bills front office. I would not give up Peters for anything less than a high 1st and 2nd round pick, and you would probably have to throw in a starting caliber guard or tackle too.

No, they wouldn't. The Lions would trade their #1 pick for JP in a heartbeat straight up. And they should, because the Bills would be getting ripped like never before. A proven commodity that fills a gaping hole for the Lions for a 50/50 chance on a guy being a legit starter, much less a pro bowl caliber player, that costs approximately the same? The Bills WILL NOT do this. Period.

Wow. I'm really glad you don't work in the Bills front office. I would not give up Peters for anything less than a high 1st and 2nd round pick, and you would probably have to throw in a starting caliber guard or tackle too.

I agree with what you say. It would almost certainly be a worse rip off of the Bills than you state because even if the #1 pick turns out to have a great career when we look back at things, even a future Pro Bowler can get off to a marginal or bad start like Eric Moulds did for us before he broke out in his third year,

If the Bills trade the devil they know (Peters with his known limitations) for the devil they don't know (a #1 pick who unfortunately reality tells us he is roughly 50/50 not to disappoint) or even a great player who gets off to the not atypical rookie start, the Bills have mortgaged 09 for the future.

This 09 with even the top rated rookie replacing Peters:

1. Has a rookie protecting Edwards blindside

2. Gives us learning pass pro for the 1 year we are guaranteed to have TO

3. Ralph is simply not getting younger so why build for a future if you are him when there may not be one.

Trading Peters for even the #1 or certainly to replace him with a mere 1st round choice likely is simply surrendering the 09 season.

It may work it just probably will not.

Even worse trading Peters almost certainly gives him exactly what he wants which is to sign a new deal (I doubt the Lions or anyone trades for him without the intent to sign him to a new deal rather than simply adopt the Bills holdout headache). If the Bills trade Peters it sends a message to other Bills and their agents simply throw a hissy fit if you can get away with it and the Bills will trade you to a new team where you can get the new contract you want.

The main downside is the cost of signing the #1 pick. I suspect that Detroit would take this trade.

No and most teams would not. A top 10 pick is simply too expensive. An unmotivated player like Mike Williams can simply take the money and run.

Let 'em have #1 and its headaches. Give me Detroit's #20, #33, and #65 for Peters instead:

11 Buffalo Michael Oher OT Mississippi

20 Buffalo Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St

33 Buffalo Robert Ayers DE43 Tennessee

42 Buffalo Eric Wood OG Louisville

65 Buffalo William Moore FS Missouri

75 Buffalo Jonathan Luigs OC Arkansas

110 Buffalo Jonathan Casillas OLB43 Wisconsin

147 Buffalo Vance Walker DT43 Georgia Tech

183 Buffalo Otis Wiley SS Michigan State

220 Buffalo Worrell Williams ILB California

Mock draft Using DraftTek's Online Simulator

You seem to be very comfortable with our weak side LB.