Peters to Eagles Potential Trade Discussion

BillsNYC

So that justifies NOT bringing back a player at one of the most vital positions on the football field?

Guess LT < Smallish very fast WR's who are paid like a 1 but its closer to a 2

Two teams made it to the super bowl this season without a pro bowl LT. One won it with one of those non-pro bowl left tackles. the other was one of our own scrub cast offs. Sorry but it's nice to have a good LT but it isn't vital to pay half your salary cap to one lazy overrated tub of goo.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At what point do the Bills stop and actually pay someone who's a good player? We trade Peters for draft pick, then waste draft pick to fill another self created hole, when we could've drafted ya know a defensive end, te, olb etc etc? Oh and the whole 1st rd LT's are gonna wanna be paid money. So when Andre Smiths contract runs out do we then get rid of him? He'll surely want to be paid. sh-- he'll surely wanna be paid as a rookie. It's this bad strategizing that has the Bills where they are. Isn't it about time the Bills actually held onto the talent they had, at key positions, instead of letting them walk out the door?

I would imagine that 9 million dollars a year with incentives is a hell of a raise for a guy who went undrafted. He'd be one of the highest paid LTs in the NFL and get his money situation set for life.

Peters apparently rejected that contract.

I would say the Bills HAVE attempted to pay him, but Peters brushed them off.

I do agree with your point though that the Bills have to plan a little bit better on who they want to keep. They have done a bit better at that over the last few years, but that new philosophy has seen them whiff on a few contract extensions (see Kelsay, Chris).

Two teams made it to the super bowl this season without a pro bowl LT. One won it with one of those non-pro bowl left tackles. the other was one of our own scrub cast offs. Sorry but it's nice to have a good LT but it isn't vital to pay half your salary cap to one lazy overrated tub of goo.

Were we thinking this way this time last year?

The holdout definitely affected his performance...no questions asked...

If the Eagles offered me a 1st and a 3rd for Peters right now, I'd take it. I'd then draft in the first three rounds:

1a) Brandon Pettigrew, TE out of Oklahoma State

1b) Andre Smith, OT out of Alabama

2) Clint Sintim, OLB out of Virginia

3a) Herman Johnson, OG out of LSU

3b) Lawrence Sidbury, DE out of Richmond

If the Eagles offered me a 1st and a 3rd, I'd sign Orlando Pace.

I would imagine that 9 million dollars a year with incentives is a hell of a raise for a guy who went undrafted. He'd be one of the highest paid LTs in the NFL and get his money situation set for life.

Peters apparently rejected that contract.

I would say the Bills HAVE attempted to pay him, but Peters brushed them off.

I do agree with your point though that the Bills have to plan a little bit better on who they want to keep. They have done a bit better at that over the last few years, but that new philosophy has seen them whiff on a few contract extensions (see Kelsay, Chris).

Don't you think that posturing from Eugene Parker at this point is a possibility? There is no need to rush his client in right now, when the Bills are offering him $8 Million a year. Don't you think he would be doing him a disservice if he were to readily concede by accepting that offer right now? Isn't it his responsability to try to get him to be paid as an elite level LT?

What I am saying is that they may just be negotiating right now. If Peters ends up signing with the Bills in the next few weeks at $10 Million a year, Parker would have done well for his client.

I think Russ Brandon's approach right now seems to be pragmatic, and is saying all the right things. Let's see how it plays out in the next few weeks.

Were we thinking this way this time last year?

The holdout definitely affected his performance...no questions asked...

No, Peters was already overrated by most. I have never liked his play. He's good in catching that quick outside rusher, usually which is nice, but he's never gotten a push in the run game and even as strong as he is, tends to get manhandled by stronger DE's 50 pounds lighter. How he ever got voted to the pro bowl the first time, I have no clue. He's always been mediocre at best.

So that justifies NOT bringing back a player at one of the most vital positions on the football field?

Guess LT < Smallish very fast WR's who are paid like a 1 but its closer to a 2

I never said it justified anything. I was refuting the poster's claim that The Bills NEVER retain talent.

No, Peters was already overrated by most. I have never liked his play. He's good in catching that quick outside rusher, usually which is nice, but he's never gotten a push in the run game and even as strong as he is, tends to get manhandled by stronger DE's 50 pounds lighter. How he ever got voted to the pro bowl the first time, I have no clue. He's always been mediocre at best.

this coming from a guy who thinks Lynch is the 5th best rb in the AFC east

man, your views sometimes are too extreme

At what point do the Bills stop and actually pay someone who's a good player? We trade Peters for draft pick, then waste draft pick to fill another self created hole, when we could've drafted ya know a defensive end, te, olb etc etc? Oh and the whole 1st rd LT's are gonna wanna be paid money. So when Andre Smiths contract runs out do we then get rid of him? He'll surely want to be paid. sh-- he'll surely wanna be paid as a rookie. It's this bad strategizing that has the Bills where they are. Isn't it about time the Bills actually held onto the talent they had, at key positions, instead of letting them walk out the door?

Everyone has their pricepoint and Peters isn't in the Bills ballpark. The guy doesn't have the smarts to ask for a tiered contract depending on performance. He'll wind up being traded and getting less than he would have by staying a Bill.

1) He had a down year last year

2) He sabotaged the team by not only holding out, but refusing to even talk about the situation

3) He's missed games the last two years due to injury

4) Allowed 11.5 sacks last season

5) Appears to be driven by money, not winning

6) Is an undrafted TE

7) The Bills are more than one player away from playoffs

8) Only one good season

9) Bills got burned by Dockery

10) No guarantee he'll return to form

Not saying they shouldn't pay him, but those reasons are enough to make the Bills not want to make him the highest paid tackle and spend 70 million dollars on him.

Bill, that pretty much sums it up as well as anyone can. :rolleyes:

this coming from a guy who thinks Lynch is the 5th best rb in the AFC east

man, your views sometimes are too extreme

And yet, the NFL seemed to think I was off by only one. 3 players in the AFC east were selected to the pro bowl in front of him. That is a fact. My viewsare pretty damn close to accurrate.

I think your points have some validity but mediocre at best to me is a MAJOR stretch.

So what is the backup plan? Add another rookie who could be Mike Williams V2.0?

And yet, the NFL seemed to think I was off by only one. 3 players in the AFC east were selected to the pro bowl in front of him. That is a fact. My viewsare pretty damn close to accurrate.

oh ok, then by the basis of your argument You're way off on your mediocre view of Peters since he has been selected to two ALL PRO teams and two probowls.

Ya, your views are pretty damn close :rolleyes:

I think your points have some validity but mediocre at best to me is a MAJOR stretch.

So what is the backup plan? Add another rookie who could be Mike Williams V2.0?

That I don't know. Too many variables. Who is available, costs, etc... I believe that you should be able to find a servicable LT in the 3-4 million range Using the 12.5 million he wants, could then upgrade LB, Guard, and TE even if only one starter and 2 depth players. For the same dollars you seriously upgrade 3 other positions and likely stay pat with someone who is more willing to work his ass off for 4 million over tube of goo.

That I don't know. Too many variables. Who is available, costs, etc... I believe that you should be able to find a servicable LT in the 3-4 million range Using the 12.5 million he wants, could then upgrade LB, Guard, and TE even if only one starter and 2 depth players. For the same dollars you seriously upgrade 3 other positions and likely stay pat with someone who is more willing to work his ass off for 4 million over tube of goo.

Right on, VA.

The Cards lost the super bowl because of their LT. He had multiple holding penalties, and was abused all night by Harrison. The SB would have been MUCH different if Gandy didn't allow constant pressure on Warner.

Don't you think that posturing from Eugene Parker at this point is a possibility? There is no need to rush his client in right now, when the Bills are offering him $8 Million a year. Don't you think he would be doing him a disservice if he were to readily concede by accepting that offer right now? Isn't it his responsability to try to get him to be paid as an elite level LT?

What I am saying is that they may just be negotiating right now. If Peters ends up signing with the Bills in the next few weeks at $10 Million a year, Parker would have done well for his client.

I think Russ Brandon's approach right now seems to be pragmatic, and is saying all the right things. Let's see how it plays out in the next few weeks.

Pretty much spot on, I think

Exactly . . when does the madness end. Just f'in pay him! :rolleyes: